Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Eyed or Spade End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyed or Spade End

When fishing the pole I like to use eyed hooks because I am more confident in using them and tying the knot on an eyed hook, my friend says when using the pole I should be using spade end hooks, is he correct in saying this? When tying a spade end hook even when I use a hook tyer I do not feel confident of the knot as I have lost fish and hooks and my line comes back like a pigs tail. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Spade end all the time... I tie mine by hand - the windmill knot as taught to my dad by Ivan Marks! I can honestly say never ever have had a 'pigs tail' come back.

Dont ask me to explain how to do it as people don't even get it when I show them!
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Spades all the way for me, I'm of the same opinion as Simon tying by hand is loads better for the simple reason it's a far tidier knot than using a hook tyer. If your hooks are comming undone your obviously not tightening correctly, I only wish I could still manage tying them with one hand. I recon if you ask anglers (probably older) whilst on the bank sooner or later one would know & they'll show you it's not that difficult to pick up. Years ago in the sixties I used to tye straight shanked hooks with neither spade or eye by hand & never had one come loose.
      I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
      He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Deffinately Spade end - the only time i use eyed is when fishing the paste or with a hair

Try some off the pre-tied hook to nylons if ur not confident tying your own

Comment

Hook choice is one of the most important parts of fishing. If you dont have confidence in your setup you just wont catch, simples!

I dont think you can limit yourself to fishing just eyed or spade end whether on the rod or on the pole.

I tend to use spade ends for my more finite work especially during winter as i feel it offers better presentation. My favourite hook pattern last winter was the Middy 63:13, its a black coloured hook and therefore doesnt glisten in the sunlight which i felt gave me better presentation for the wary feeding carp. They also have a relatively large spade too, meaning you could tie 0.10 to a 22 or 0.12 to a sizre 20 without any problems. I was also still landing fish to 7lb on a size 22, remember fish dont fight as much when its freezing!

I tend only to use eyed hooks if i'm hiar rigging and therefore use the knotless knot, very tidy and zero friction. Even if i want to use an eyed pattern, more for its strength qualities then i still use the knotless knot without a hair too.
          Starbeck Angling Club

[url]http://steveluptonfishing.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

I only use eyed hooks tied with a knotless knot.

It works for me as ive never had any issues.

Comment

There is no right or wrong in the choice of eyed or spade end hooks whether using the pole, or rod and line. As Steve L said, a lot of fishing comes down to confidence and you have confidence in eyed hooks, so use them.
              The main difference between eyed and spade hooks is weight. Eyed hooks tend to be a bit heavier and slightly more bulky in the same sizes as spade ends. Unless you are fishing in a really competitive environment, it will make little difference to your fishing.

If you decide you want to try spade end hooks, why not try some ready-tied?
              Or get a hook tyer and have a go with that. Just make sure you take it nice and slow with plenty of saliva to lubricate the knot when you tighten it. That will lessen the friction burn that puts a pigtail into the line. As for pig tails when the hook comes off, you are probably using a line that is too thick for the size of hook.
              To get around that, try asking on here about the types of hook you want to use and with what type and strength of line and we'll help you get sorted...
              The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
              Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
              Check out:
              www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
              log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

Cheers all and thanks Steve, the hooks I use are mostly b911 in 18's 16's for fish up to 6lb.
                Some great replies as usual.
                Cheers

Comment

Wouldn't think you'd go far wrong with eyed 911s. Sounds ideal for the job you're doing.

Check out:

Comment

deffinatley spade end
                    work is for people who cant fish---i want a job

Comment

another 1 for spades apart from paste and on a hair or maybe fishing for big fish like where u are having them 10+lb each put in but spades will handle this aswell
                      :DFishinG Is GooD,CatchinG Is BetteR:D

Comment

Spades for me.

I use a hook tier, any failures are down to operator error.....

Comment

use spades for anything up to a twelves. any bigger and use eyed. if im using a hair rig will use an eyed then for the obvious reasons such as the simplicity and superb strength of the knotless knot. most use tubertini 808's now for my summer fishing as i lost confidence with a few b911's straightening. on canals i use tubertini series 18 in the small sizes because i have not been let down by them and they are barbed. pr36 for hair rigs as they are a nice shape with a good hook hold.
                          With hooks i believe that it is a confidence thing and you use what suits your fishing and the reliabilty is had given you.

Comment

Originally posted by danny_glover View Post
                            most use tubertini 808's now for my summer fishing as i lost confidence with a few b911's straightening.
                            808s are not as strong as 911s, I have straightened 808s on 0.12 and 4lb carp! 808s seem great for skimmers with the chance of a carp, not for deliberately targeting carp like you can with 911s. Gary Thorpe uses 911s and he's not shy of hauling huge weights on them.
                            Perhaps you had a bad batch of 911s? If you are not confident in them any more, try the Fox Series 2 or Extra Strong.

Check out:

Comment

Originally posted by ferryman View Post
                              When fishing the pole I like to use eyed hooks because I am more confident in using them and tying the knot on an eyed hook, my friend says when using the pole I should be using spade end hooks, is he correct in saying this? When tying a spade end hook even when I use a hook tyer I do not feel confident of the knot as I have lost fish and hooks and my line comes back like a pigs tail. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
                              For carp fishing, unless fishing light with maggot, caster or expander pellet eyed are best, especially for hair rigging with a knotless knot. I always hair rig a band on the pole and can put a pellet in it or pull it through meat or corn.

Comment

Working...
                              X