Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Need advice on alternatives to a Rod Holdall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on alternatives to a Rod Holdall?

Hi Forum,

I recently purchased a Korum 2 Rod Holdall - which when it arrived I find to be too big and cumbersome and wondered if there were any 'travel light' alternatives out there - at present I am only carrying a 12ft two piece Drennan 'puddle chucker' in a plastic rod tube with an umbrella / rodrest and a landing net pole + net - I really want to travel light - Im only float fishing so one rod is enough.

On my last trip loaded up with the Korum 2 rod holdall / Korum chair / Deluxe tackle bag and food etc I was really struggling down the bank - and as Ive recently returned to fishing I really wanted to get back into keeping the carrying of heavy fishing tackle down and leave it in the past -

Ive looked at all the current rod holdalls/quivers out there etc but they are all too big and I would never carry more than two rods - at present I am lashing the umbrella/rod rest/landing net to the plastic rod tube and wondered if anyone out there was doing the same and had any tips for me? - as I cannot get a large rod holdall and passengers into a Vauxhall Corsa.

the ideal solution would be something like a much smaller golf bag shaped thing that I simply popped the rod tube/umbrella/sticks into with a strap to carry it all - nothing fancy.....any ideas

ps: Ive looked at the older style rod bags but my two piece rod is too long - and the rod tube seems best.....

Kind Regards

Maxhombre

I have a couple of Garbolino ready rod holdalls. The best (Super G) takes two made up rods in a hard case with two separate divisions. You could use one for the rod and the other for landing net handle, banksticks etc.
    Have to admit, I tend to just stuff all the other bits into the compartments with rods made up inside anyway!

The other ready rod case is a three division Coach and not only does it take three rods made up, it also has a divided section behind a protective screen to store your landing net handle, banksticks etc.

Alternatively, try a search for a specci rod quiver. Everything will slide into the reinforced half length tube and is easily accessible.
    The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
    Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
    Check out:
    www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
    log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

Sorry, just re-read your post and would have to say - you need to use a quiver.
      Also, try putting all your bait, food and spare tackle bits into a hard bait bucket. Then take a blow up cushion and sit on the bait bucket or simply sit on the bank.
      Think Shimano do a fold up chair that doesn't have any legs or metal on it, just straps to stop the chair collapsing while you are sat on it. That would be another weight saver.
      The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
      Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
      Check out:
      www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
      log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

Re: Alternatives to Rod Holdall

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for the advice - I'll look into the rod quivers again.

Regards

Maxhombre

Comment

If you want a reasonable Quiver, have a look at the Imax Day Session Holdall at Veals mail order based in Bristol. Veals Mailorder > Welcome to our new and improved Veals Mailorder website It's meant for beach fishing, but might suit your style. First class service as well.
          I got a new rod for the wife. I'll miss her, but it's a quality rod.

Comment

I sometimes do my fishing off a motorbike. So I can't take big rod holdalls. I grind the bottom out of them on right-handers and over 60 they try to rip my head off

Best bit of luggage I've bought is a Dean Macey 2-rod Space Shuttle for £12 from Climax. I can take 2 rods made-up, and another in the main open compartment.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your advice - Ive gone with Droids suggestion and bought one of the Dean Macey 2- rod space shuttles - very nice price at 12.00 + 6.00 shipping and looks to be just what I need -I will sell on the Korum 2 rod holdall to rcut my losses.

Kind Regards

Maxhombre

Comment

Working...
              X