Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Winter Clothing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Clothing Advice

I need to get some clothing for the winter. I thoughts choosing a pole was hard enough with so much choice. So its over to you lads to offer me advice on the good and the bad.
    Preston, Gortex, Korda, Daiwa................
    Point me in the right direction
    Budget £100 - £200
    Mano

>')\\\\><

get some long johns and vest they keep you warm

Comment

Thermal underwear here if your interested m8.
      http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/...tml#post122836

Comment

sundridge suits totally water proof and very warm siberian, arctic, or reflex, all good suits dearest is around£169 reflex is £35 from climax tackle its very good ive just bought one changed from siberian

Comment

Ive got the thermal underwear, its the Waterproofs I am looking for tips on.
          Thanks stkfloat, I'll take a look.

Comment

In that price range it would be difficult to beat Protak.

Comment

Preston Dri fish winter suit gets my vote. I bought mine last winter and its seriously toasty i often just wear the bib and brace with my windstopper fleece as its so warm i rarely need to wear the jacket. No need for long johns etc with this suit.
              I wore it saturday in that 'rain' and remained totally dry so the waterproofing definatley works!
              Rgds Lp

Comment

Go army on the ebay! Get loads for that sort of cash... I have a gortex[the best] suit new from the RAF [blue, 50pounds] ..Wicked bit of kit....Not that warm but with the right undergarments which i have IM TOAST!!

Comment

Originally posted by andrew65 View Post
                  Go army on the ebay! Get loads for that sort of cash... I have a gortex[the best] suit new from the RAF [blue, 50pounds] ..Wicked bit of kit....Not that warm but with the right undergarments which i have IM TOAST!!
                  Or just google up 'Army Surplus'.

Most of the bigger suppliers do mail order, and they're not bad on camping gear as well.

If you're near Wells in Somerset, there's a damn good (and cheap) stall there, too.

Comment

I agree with LuckyPiker. I was at the same match and i was wearing the Preston 1000 Jacket and Bib n brace. The rain was torrential. After the match when i took the jacket/bib n brace off I was totally dry underneath.

Might cost more than standard gear but it is far better and more importantly will keep you dry and warm + it is extremley lightweight.

NB: LuckyPiker: If I find your top 3 at Haverholme tomorrow its yours for £50. lol.

Comment

Some great advice there. The Preston stuff had already caught my eye. Does anybody else have comments on the Preston gear. I think I will be asking Santa to chuck some down the Chimley (thats what we call it in Liverpool).
                      Mano
                      ..............>')XXx><

Comment

iv'e just bought the drennan drenchwear jacket and bib and brace, cost me £45 off ebay, the jacket has a fleece like material inside so its like wearing a jacket over a fleece, ever since i bought the suit its rained everytime iv'e been so it seems to be a bit of a jinx, but i sat in the pooring rain for 5 hours the other day and when i took my jacket and trousers off i was bone dry underneath and at the same time it's very warm and comfortable while im fishing. for £45 for the suit i dont think it can be beaten, absolute quality as per usual from drennan. why pay £450 for a daiwa suit when you can pay £45 for something just as good in my opinion. and a drennan matchpro fleece is only about £30 aswell top qaulity.
                        Last edited by david_avfc; 17 November 2009, 12:51 AM.

Comment

I have a lot of time for Drennan. Along with the sponsorship of the England Team they have a brilliant customer service as well. To put a finer point on it a few years ago my son won Young Angler of The Month on Keith Arthurs Tight Lines.
                          Unfortuately he had the float rod stolen by some youths on the bank. I contact Keith to find out where I could get a replacement. Peter Drennan gave him a 13ft float rod absolutely free. That my friends is good service, going in this case beyond the call.
                          My question now is why is it so cheap? Does anybody else have the Drennan Drenchwear jacket and bib that David avfc talks about. How does it compare to the Preston Celcius and 500?
                          Thanks David for your input, as you pointed out why pay the earth when sometimes good companies are offering equally good gear at very affordable prices.
                          I would just like to compare them now.

><xXX)'<

Comment

I have had most of the suits you mention.
                            The Drennan Drenchwear was rubbish lasted about 3 months then leaked.
                            Preston Drifish 50 was better lasted 12 months then the bib n brace split jacket was OK.
                            I have a Protak TR lined Pole Jacket and Bib n Brace which is very warm but quite bulky now for sale as i have just splashed out on some goretex gear which is awesome lightweight and totally windproof/waterproof.

Comment

i have a daiwa b and b with the jacket aswell they are really good but mine cost 190 but you can get em a bit cheaper

Comment

Working...
                              X