Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

A really light float rod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A really light float rod?

I'm toying with the idea of buying a really light float rod. It's for stillwater roach fishing, with the roach going to decent sizes. It's got to be an absolute maximum of 13', but shorter might be handy. I'm finding that even a standard match waggler rod, barbless hooks and the jag, jag, jag fight of decent roach are not the perfect recipe.

I've had a good search round the net and there appears not to be a great deal out there. However, a couple of candidates have come to mind, though I'm not going to prejudice the thread by naming them.

I'm not averse to the prospect of buying an old rod second hand (without paying a fortune), but I'm not particularly interested in any rod with sliding ring reel fittings.

Looking forward to seeing the suggestions.

Diawa 12ft tdx its old just before the tournament release I use it for skimmers at distance and I rarely lose fish its 3 pieces or anther rod I've got is a whisker Kevlar 13.2ft waggler again beautiful rod. The tdx u should pick up £75-£100 range.
    " if a dogs born in a stable, does it make it a horse? Aye up ducky!!

Comment

Shakespeare lexicon float, I use them with hook lengths down to low diameter 1.4lb, no problem. Awesome roach rod
      River anglers Go with the flow.

Comment

I have a Maver Abyss X Series in 11ft and a 10ft Isis airstream float rod.

They are both decent rods albeit the airstream is a new rod for me and I haven't had a roach on this yet

The Maver I have had roach on this although all under specimen size they still put up a decent fight

Regards

B0di
        Mark

"At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

Comment

Someone selling an 11ft drennan match pro on total fishing that should be ideal only wants £50

Comment

See if you can find an Image canal rod or a Fox Match MP Canal 11' 9". Both of those would be perfect. If you wanted new, might be worth giving Harrison Advanced Rods a call & getting one of their canal rods. These are perfection for what you want without feeling sloppy.

Comment

Either a Normark Titan 2000 or a Microlite 2000, both were available in 12ft as well as 13ft. Will cost you a bit more but find a good un & it will hold its value. The other one is the one Rick metioned the Lexicon but these are very hard to find.
              John

Comment

First thing I'd like to say, as an observation, is that roach fight differently to bream and skimmers. I think the critical thing with roach is having a rod that doesn't lock up and has a fast, responsive and reactive tip. Of the current rods available either a Drennan Ultralight - hollow tips- or a Shakespeare Mach 3 Lite - hollow tip and hard to find thesedays - are probably the best options for using barbless hooks. I have a Daiwa TDX 13ft and it is excellent - built on the same mandrel as the current Daiwa Tournaments but with a slight tweak in that they had a softer curve in the tip section. I know cos I have had both versions! The other option is to buy an old spliced tip rod. I have lways found spliced tip rods better on barbless hooks and still use them and seldom bump fish with one. The best in my opinion is the original Dave Harrell MAP ST 13, built using a Harrison's blank. MAP then switched blank supplier, with the rods then using Tricast blanks, and these were nowhere near as good, IMO, being tip heavy and not well balanced. If you want a modern rod available in the shops now, I would go for the Ultralight by Drennan. I use one of these and I do not like the Acolyte. The Acolyte's action is not to my liking and I owned one for a short time and used it before deciding to sell it. With 38 years' experience fishing rivers I feel entitled to say what I truly think. Hope my advice is of some use to you.

Comment

Sorry to waste your time DD, I bought an 11' Drennan Matchpro Ultralight well over a month ago. I'm perfectly happy with it for the decent sized stillwater roach and small river/beck grayling. It has been used several times for both applications already. Naturally, I'd had it about a week when various second hand spliced tip/canal rods, that might have been very interesting options, started appearing for sale.

Comment

You bought the right rod, that will do me!

Comment

I've just purchased a 13ft Middy 390 4Gs rod mate on the advice of Kieron Rich who is using his on the rivers for Roach and the like and he says it's as good as anything out there at the moment... Not had chance to get out recently to give my verdict but hopefully soon I will. He did advise me to take a look at the Normark Titan 2000 rods also. Good luck with your choice .

Comment

Originally posted by CRG147 View Post
                        I've just purchased a 13ft Middy 390 4Gs rod mate on the advice of Kieron Rich who is using his on the rivers for Roach and the like and he says it's as good as anything out there at the moment... Not had chance to get out recently to give my verdict but hopefully soon I will. He did advise me to take a look at the Normark Titan 2000 rods also. Good luck with your choice .
                        Lots of good rods out there BUT the Normark 2000 range are still top of the pile, 20 odd years old & nobody can match them imho.
                        John

Comment

IMO Jaimee Robbins has designed some Fabulous River Float Rods for Shakespeare over the last few years
                          Shakespeare in the 70s & 80s were responsible for bringing out a lot of Quality rods
                          personally i believe during the 90s they lost their way a bit ,only a couple of their rods were any good
                          Since Jaimee has been involved this has changed & once again Shakespeare are up there amongst the best
                          The Bonus is They are affordable !! not over Priced !!
                          Colin

Comment

Working...
                          X