Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Internal or external?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal or external?

I'm waiting for a delivery of my first ever pole, OK 25 years ago it was all rods and now coming back I thought I'd see what all the fuss is about anyway I need to fit elastics, done reasarch and watched youtube and feel very confident fitting (famous last words) but the choice of internal or external bushes, which is best? My gut says internal but I also worry that this could pull sideways and crack the tip, external I guess is more bulky and unless the inner edge of the carbon is perfect a loose fible could cut the elastic.

Any help, advice, suggestions most welcome
    Baits designed and proven to catch fish, not anglers

[URL]http://www.miraclebaits.com/[/URL]

Internal every time mate.

Comment

same here internal everytime you can get your line caught around externals mate, if your pole needs cutting back to fit them and uve never done one take it to the shop mate to get them to cut it and fit them
      [SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=7][/SIZE][SIZE=1][/SIZE][SIZE="6"][SIZE=1][SIZE=7]malman floats[COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][SIZE=5][/SIZE][B][/B][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][COLOR="#0000CD"][/COLOR]

Comment

i'm looking at changing mine to internals i like the look of the long drennan ptfe's any advice please.

Comment

The long drennans feel more like plastic than ptfe. The actual exit hole that your elastic hopefully streams out of is just the thin wall of the bush turned over itself and i've found them to distort very easily. I currently use vespe internals for light elastics up to size 8 and after 3 years have had no probs. Any elastics bigger than this then either the maver internals, Mick wilkinson internals, or some black drennan bull noses which I shaved down on an electric drill as an experiment. Despite being again a little 'plasticky' they work very well as flush internals now.
          Maybe i've been lucky but i've never had my line wrapped round my pole tip, and after giving it a little thought am struggling to see how it can happen. The only possible reason I can think of is that the trailing edge of an external bush has been damaged either in storage or transit so that it is lifted or raised. Line snags bush-fish on-line cuts into bush at thinnest point-line jams. Must be a one in a million chance as whatever connector plus the natural spring in the line would want to keep the line away from the pole tip.
          Maybe using a crows foot and re-using a knackered old crinkly rig perhaps?
          Last edited by TEAM RATTLER; 13 September 2010, 05:14 PM.
          MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

internals for me as well

Comment

Just one word internal m8

Comment

thank's rattler just got to find somewere that sells vespe internals & it will be job done cheers .

Comment

I prefer Externals.
                  Colin

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
                    I prefer Externals.
                    Why??????????????????????

Comment

i had externals on my old pole line always tangled round them ! pain in the backside they were,but on the pole i have now no tangles with intrnals plus looks so much neater,

lad who owns the tackle shop near me swears blind that internals give the pole a weak spot on the tip were externals dont,disagree myself internals everytime for me now.
                      Last edited by carl heaton; 14 September 2010, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by carl heaton View Post
                        i had externals on my old pole line always tangled round them ! pain in the backside they were,but on the pole i have now no tangles with intrnals plus looks so much neater,

lad who owns the tackle shop near me swears blind that internals give the pole a weak spot on the tip were externals dont,disagree myself internals everytime for me now.
                        Bloke who owns your shop talks rubbish! Internals are far superior in every way! Wanna buy some externals Col?

Comment

I'm gonna buck a trend here- I use externals,but use them internally! When I bought my pole,this is what the guy had already done to the power kits-fitted the black drennan external bushes inside. So,I've also had to do this,so all my power kits are the same length. Works a treat,though! Straight forward externals on my match kits,though-nice and neat.
                          Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
                          Alwight tweacle?

Comment

Originally posted by paul k View Post
                            I'm gonna buck a trend here- I use externals,but use them internally! When I bought my pole,this is what the guy had already done to the power kits-fitted the black drennan external bushes inside. So,I've also had to do this,so all my power kits are the same length. Works a treat,though! Straight forward externals on my match kits,though-nice and neat.
                            You never had line get caught behind external and loose rig when you strike?

Comment

Originally posted by elmothudd View Post
                              Just one word internal m8
                              thats FIVE words!lol, Internals get my vote, when fitting them i "carefully" use a jnr hacksaw to get a tight fit then gently smooth off with some wet & dry sandpaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X