Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

New pole but not sure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pole but not sure

I've just received a new poll from Dragon Carp, their Oxygen Commercial Carp 12.5m for £99, the main reason I bought this was to try pole fishing and not to lose too much money if I didn't like pole fishing. However on putting it together I noticed a few things which I don't like but being new to poles I don't know if this is the norm.

1. The weight, 1397g
    2. Just over 2' droop at the tip when at full length, and just on 1' with 2 sections removed
    3. The finish, after the 2 end sections that are painted, the finish is rough wrap, great for grip but sliding back smoothly is next to impossible.

DC have a good return policy if unhappy, but do I keep this and use it as originally bought, try and learn. Or do I send it back and get something else?

If I send it back and get my refund, what do I buy? New or Secondhand? Secondhand could be just the same issues, or worse and limited comeback, but I can hopefully buy a lot better spec'd poll for little extra cost. If new, then what to get, add money and buy something like a Maver Genesis 12.5m from Matchman Supplies which is loads lighter but no mention anywhere on finish or droop etc.

And there was me thinking fishing is easier than my other sports I've been involved in as always help and advice much appreciated
    Baits designed and proven to catch fish, not anglers

[URL]http://www.miraclebaits.com/[/URL]

Hi mate,a bottom end pole is always going to be droopy and heavy to be honest. For another £50 quid you could get a daiwa sr1,which is only 11m.but you could at least fish it at full length with no problems and spare kits are readily available as you go on and progress with your pole fishing. The maver wouldn't be a bad starting point either,they're pretty light and easy to ship back. Decisions,decisions,eh?
    Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
    Alwight tweacle?

Comment

Shooter...at the end of the day you get what you pay for...£99 for 12.5 mtr pole is no money at all...However I would guess its probably fishable upto 8 mtrs...and if you value your spine..not much further...Option 1 is to try it at upto 8mtrs to see if you like pole fishing...If you dont.... sell it and recoup some of what you paid...Option 2...Send it back for a refund (if they allow it) and try and get a bit more cash together....As Pk said ..for another £50 you can get a Daiwa....however if you can wait and stretch your budget to £200...you will open up a whole new world of choice...

Comment

i agree with what rjays says in the respect of you get what you pay for,you would have been better of saving a few more quid up and say go for a middy battlezone ! you can pick this up for less than £200 and it would have been a far better buy than the dragon,plus you get the elastic with the package.

Comment

I had a similar pole, but only paid £50 SH, so no great loss. At 12.5 is was like a set of drain rods, forget the butt extension to 13M, I'm 11st wet through, and it would have tipped me in!

I found myself happy with it at 11/9.5 metres, and had some good mileage out of it.

Asfor the shipping back, wait till it's wet! Mine was like trying to run my hands backwards down a snake, in the end ( and against well meaning advice on here ) I set about the unpainted sections with some 800 grit, the difference was unbelievable, but for the money I had some good use out of it and it appeared unbrakeable. Sold it for £30 profit in the end on ebay, so not to bad.

I'd chop it in for an SR1, or look around the £200 mark for something better, but used. 11 metres is more than enough for learning to handle a pole.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

this is a handy site:

Compare Daiwa Pole Reviews, Specifications, Features and Prices | Pole Compare
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Cheers guys

Dragon Carp allow for returns and give full refunds if they have it in their hands within 7 days, refund less postage between 7 &14 days have sent them an email advising I need to return, got a reply really quickly saying thats ok and they will refund as soon as its back with them, so other than the cost of sending it back nothing lost

As for what next, yep going out to £200 or 300 isn't a problem, was just trying to save a little where I could, should have known better. Anyway I'll have a look at any and all suggestions. Don't really think over 12.5 is needed as will be learning, probably less to start with, mind in time we all know us guys listen to the better halves and start wanting for more length.

Comment

I use a 11.5m daiwa sr1,and what i will say is its not that easy to fish at full length,and i'm not that small at 14 stone,so have a think mate,i bought mine for using as a margin pole really,but for anyone to be using it at full length or even 9.5m not so easy especially over a match period,if i was to buy again i woud'v spent a little more on a lighter pole.hth

Comment

I ended up with a used maver 101, but before that was looking at a new map tks 125, or used 225, but used 225's seemed a bit thin on the ground on ebay, which must mean something ??
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Mickangler View Post
                    I use a 11.5m daiwa sr1,and what i will say is its not that easy to fish at full length,and i'm not that small at 14 stone,so have a think mate,i bought mine for using as a margin pole really,but for anyone to be using it at full length or even 9.5m not so easy especially over a match period,if i was to buy again i woud'v spent a little more on a lighter pole.hth
                    Only ever heard good things about the sr1,
                    Got one on order now!
                    [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
                    [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
                    [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
                    [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

Many thanks everyone, after several PM's between me and another member who has a Maver Genesis I have ordered one from Matchman Supplies, who by the way seems to have also spent several hours answering my many questions, even answering some after 8pm with regards to elasticating the tops etc. Actually I can't think of a store I'd recommend more, ok my limited fishing experience but customer service is outstanding and second to none no matter what the nature of his business.

Now the agonising wait for it to arrive so I can go and play, should be perfect timing as a mate has offered to drive me to go fishing next week

Comment

The guys at matchman supplies are very good mate-i've dealt with tim on a number of occasions and he always goes above and beyond for his customers. You'll notice the difference between the maver and the dc as soon as you pick it up. Let us know how you get on with it ;-)
                        Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
                        Alwight tweacle?

Comment

nothing but praise for matchan supplies as well,hope this pole is the right one for you ! keep us informed

Comment

im selling 13m shakespear pole for 100

Comment

OK pole arrived this morning, man what a difference between this and the el cheapo, ok another £100 odd extra but trust me the best extra money I've spent in ages. The pole is so light, even as pole newbie and admittedly only trying out at home but 1 handed 12.5m standing is simple, sitting down and I could almost think its fallen apart as its lighter than I could ever expect. On the stiffness well lets just say only about 5" droop at the tip at full length and the wife said its not so floppy so thats a plus for sure

Will get out to try it out soon and report back, I know I will start shorter than the full length as I need to learn to walk but I'm really pleased I made the jump, now where's the water

Comment

Working...
                              X