Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

platform/barrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• platform/barrows

hi all thinkin of getting me a trolley platform an could do with some advice the three i have looked at are the DAIWA, FOX and the Penrose style one. i need one to be a trolley for my gear but one that can turn into a platform whatare your views on anyof the above?

Cheers Rob
    [CENTER][SIZE=7][B][COLOR=red][COLOR=blue][I][I]Bg Floats[/I][/I][/COLOR] [/COLOR][I][SIZE=5][COLOR=#0000FF]hand made floats [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B][SIZE=5][COLOR=#FF0000]They [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Stand the Test of Time - [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=4]Contact:[/SIZE] [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL][/B][/CENTER]

come on guys surely some1 must have an opinion i could get a better response off another site !!!!
    [CENTER][SIZE=7][B][COLOR=red][COLOR=blue][I][I]Bg Floats[/I][/I][/COLOR] [/COLOR][I][SIZE=5][COLOR=#0000FF]hand made floats [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I][/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B][SIZE=5][COLOR=#FF0000]They [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Stand the Test of Time - [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=4]Contact:[/SIZE] [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL][/B][/CENTER]

Comment

hello mate, i use a penrose barrow and find it great. although it has only 1 wheel its stable enough over rough ground. i had to play around with the set up to see which was the best way to carry everything as my box does not fit width ways across the platform. i fish the river a lot so i have long walks, i do suffer a bit with back ache but being tall i guess thats normal when pushing your gear half a mile lol.
      :confused: WOW, things have changed.:confused:

Comment

Fox platform excellent imo big front wheel that doesnt bog down too much on soft ground plus it makes a big very stable platform. My bro owned a daiwa and i thought it too small especially if you have a big box.

Comment

i have the penrose type, its too narrow so box feet hang over the edge 1inch either side (as a barrow) so means when you platform it you have to do the same unless you use it width ways, then your feet are off the front... a little small. however you can get a great big blue frame off ebay that takes all the legs wheel and handles and gives a better barrow and platform?

ps.. slow on the answer as fishing and sleep sunday as was most members you'll get a few answers today as people use work internet at lunch etc

Comment

i have an ex large penrose & its brilliant! strong, solid as a rock, must have had it about 12 yrs , its big enough for all my gear, cant recomend it highly enough!

Comment

i have found that if you extend the legs out from their front kept position i put my box on the legs and then bungee it on. that leaves the whole platform free for carryall and bait bucket extra nets if needed and then lie my holdall along the lot, i guess its a pain if you need to put your box on it fully, but i always sit on the platform as all the preston on box bits fit on the legs etc. not sure how much bigger the xl penrose is, but i guess it helps if you have a big box.
              :confused: WOW, things have changed.:confused:

Comment

cheers guys an thanx for the info yeah i should have realised about sunday lazy days lol looks ike the penrose is the one most people go for in the xl frame Mm im thinkin now.
                cheers boggy

Comment

Originally posted by luckypiker View Post
                  Fox platform excellent imo big front wheel that doesnt bog down too much on soft ground plus it makes a big very stable platform. My bro owned a daiwa and i thought it too small especially if you have a big box.
                  Agree with Lucky Piker. Go for the fox platform/barrow.. it will take all boxes, the diawa is too small and my MILO tardis would not fit on it but OK with the Fox. Also sturdy as a platform no slipping legs when perched out in the water.

Comment

i have used the x large penrose for years now, and i have to agree with phillyfingers it is brilliant, it was the only one that would take the space station, i use it for humping my gear about, and also for a very large bait table, but it really comes into it's own when sat in the water as a platform. i would highly recommend it, as it will take huge amounts of weight without the risk of collapse, it is very rusty now, but still does what it was designed to do.
                    cheers
                    dave

Comment

The Fox barrow is very well engineered and has only suffered from a small amount of paint flaking in a year or mores use.The legs are secured with non-marking fittings but the screws on the handles and the location recess could be bigger/longer but despite tad of freeplay alls well so far.You have to be careful not to scrape the plastic screw covers though as they protrude underneath eg on a concrete surface.The legs come in a bag which is clipped to the useful bungee hooks but could do to be longer /extendable,although they are of a good alloy.Its a good size wheel which provides fair balance.Be careful of the actual usable surface area you need to sit your box on as there is a lip all round the edge
                      and you will need to take that into account dependant on which way round you put it as the platform is slightly rectangular.
                      The penrose style type one (we have the big blue brollnets one) has its pro's and cons ours has a smaller wheel is squarer in platform but its construction with soldered wires base means they can come away individually.The legs however being telescopic are longer but liable to jam up internally when wet due to oxidisation/corrosion.Its open weave platform can be better submerged or with muddy boots.
                      The biggest /lightest actual platform we have is the Ultimate one which is also the cheapest by half at about £70.Great size platform for bigger boxes but legs are prone to slip as they have grooves running along their length and are painted,also no bungee hooks and be careful of size to fit in car but still okay with alternate legs or a mod.
                      Best think would be to evalulate your needs be it transportation or in water straight from car etc as we vary which one from trent to comms'
                      Hope bit of help bud,cheers.
                      Last edited by scunnyviking; 27 September 2010, 05:39 PM.

Comment

fOX PLATFORM IS OK BUT.......the handles had too much movement in them..either strap them together with a bungy or tape the handles(male sections where they meet the female sockets)
                        other than that...perfect

Comment

Originally posted by boggy View Post
                          come on guys surely some1 must have an opinion i could get a better response off another site !!!!
                          You got the same response

Comment

FOX al the way but have to agree wi FLUMP bout the handles going floppy n thought i was going down a steep hill they'd pull out n have a expensive day out so i just drilled an extra hole through the male n female socket wi the handle in place n used a nut n bolt t secure it problem solved.

Comment

I sorted out the 'play' in the handles by just using some longer screws.

Comment

Working...
                              X