Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

what size line for feeder fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what size line for feeder fishing

Just been to my local tackle shop to buy some 8lb line,but he is out of it ! i ended up buying some 6lb instead,i always use 8lb line for my feeder fishing but will give 6lb a try,
    will the 6lb be able to take the strain of feeder fishing coz you are using the line clip all the time and there is a bit of strain on the line every time it hits the line clip.whats your thoughts.

Personally, I never clip up since losing a munter and half my spool last time I did. I prefer to cast and slow the line coming off the spool with my finger, then stop just short of the target and drop the rod tip to finally land it where I want (sometimes!)

If you want to use the clip-up, have a look at Andy Findlay's DVD Fishing with the method feeder - he puts it bang in the same spot every time and shows a good example of dropping the rod tip to ease the strain on the line when you hit the clip.
    Warm Guinness is better than no Guinness at all!

Comment

6lb is perfect for feeder fishing mate.
      Most feeder rod line reccomendations are 6lb
      [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
      [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
      [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
      [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

6lb line is plenty heavy enough for almost all situations unless you're gonna be into some seriously big fish every cast! You will need to learn to use the line clip, particularly if you're fishing commercials where you will need to nail it to a spot within 10 inches every time. 6lb will be fine though and you will learn to feather it down on the cast so that it only just hits the clip without a big whack! I personally like the new Guru 'Drag Line' which is a bit thick but is very soft and supple and casts beautifully.
        Hope this helps. Graham
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

thanks for the reply"s boys,ive watched the andy findley dvd and i know he uses 6lb line for this type of fishing but you watch the des shipp dvd on method feeder fishing and he says its pointless using anything less than 8lb line,so who is right andy or des.i am going to give the 6lb line a try tomorrow and i will see how i go on with it.

Comment

A lot depends on the make aswell...there is a lot of cheap rubbish line around....However 6lb Maxima is as tough as old boots and will need a lot more force than 6lb to break it

Comment

Ive just got some ultima power plus,never used it before but the reviews on are pretty good

Comment

Depends how far you're casting, for long chucks I use 4 or 5lb, 8lb for short chucks.

Comment

A lot of Anglers think you need to use heavier lines to chuck it further !!!
                  In actual fact the need to use 8lbs line is for shorter distances ,i find that it eliminates breakages from savage bites close in when there is very little give between tip & hook length
                  I prefer to use a Shock leader of about 15 to 20ft of 8lbs Maxima & 4 to 6lbs main line for distance work !!!
                  And i Never Clip up .
                  Colin

Comment

Originally posted by NathanWatson View Post
                    Depends how far you're casting, for long chucks I use 4 or 5lb, 8lb for short chucks.
                    What diameter line would you use for the above lines you quoted

Comment

Maxima
                      I personaly dont worry too much about line Diameters for Feeder fishing main line !!
                      Colin

Comment

Sorry col i didnt explain myself proper,i meant nathan quoted 4 or 5lb main line wot diameter hooklengh would you use

Comment

The diameters aren't accurate! I use Maxima, Pro Gold or Shimano Technium but to be honest I'm using the 8lb Technium more and more now, great for fishing up to islands and snags as strong, abrasive resistant and low stretch.

Comment

Working...
                          X