Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Spinning Reels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning Reels?

Can anyone tell me if there is and if what the difference is between a Spinning Reel and a Feeder Reel? Can you use a spinning reel for feeder work?

The term spinning reel was used in the past to describe most if not all fixed spool reels,so if the reel holds the required amount of line and is up to the vigours of constant retrieves,then there is no reason not to use it for feeder fishing.
    Last edited by hurricane; 1 November 2010, 02:53 PM. Reason: typo
    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

What it is is that ive been offered a reel which i like but been told its a spining reel and would hate to part with my hard earned cash to find out it useless for my fishing needs? Has anyone tried these reels for other than what they say they are for? Like you say Huurricane a reel is a reel isnt it?

Comment

Post the make and model number if you can and you will get a definative answer mate.

Comment

Its a Daiwa Exceller Plus. He wants £30 for it. It just looks like my Daiwa Whisker to be honest with you? Ive checked on Ebay and they are worth more and there are also other Daiwa Reels that look just as good but even cheaper?
          Last edited by CRG147; 1 November 2010, 04:01 PM.

Comment

If it a 3000,3500 or 4000 it will be fine for feeder fishing.

Comment

Thanks for that Mate. So what sort of so called spinning reels wouldnt be good for feeder work and what is it that makes them different as im still curious.

Comment

all daiwa reels are class spinning reels cause they are so robust that they dont disintergrate when used in salt water go for it it wont let u down ive 5 cus and they are the best thing since sliced bread if you match carp fish you can wind them in constantly and wont ruin the gears

Comment

Almost any fixed spool reel COULD be used for feeder fishing,its just that some are more suited, for example a very small one with low capacity and a low gear ratio would make life difficult(but not impossibe)and an overly large model could unbalance the set up and may cause wrist strain from repeated casting associated with most modern feeder work.It also works both ways as virtually all fixed spool reels COULD be used for spinning.

Comment

Working...
                  X