Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

The BEST setup for roach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BEST setup for roach

Hi i was bumping off alot of roach today on double 6 elastic (its the only top kit i have elasticated yet) With a size 18 b911 with double maggot.

I just want to know what the best setup is for roach whether fishing up in the water or on the bottom.

Anything appreciated,

Connor
    [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
    [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
    [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

use a 3 or 4 elastic

Comment

I was thinking putting middy hi viz 4-6 in my match kit?
      [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

Describe the venue connor as roach fishing varies from water to water. Don't however put things like " there's the chance of the odd 16lb carp" as this just makes the original question pretty pointless.
        I've used the middy before and it's a good all round silvers elastic.
        For small roach or fishing long in the wind do as FORDY-1 says and use a 3-4
        Speed fishing to hand at short range like Barnsley do on the canals might see you need a 6-8 depending on stamp of fish which in turn may need a slightly stronger hook as you're looking to swing everything.
        There's too many variables to roach fishing to give a short answer.
        More info needed.
        MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

Erm as i said its packed with roach and small crucians these are what i will be targeting with single or double maggot so hopefully there wont be any decent carp there.
          I dont know much about the tench in the lake but i had a 1lb13oz out of there the other day so that would give me a good run for my money.
          I wont be speed fishing as im not a matchman yet

Comment

there is only one ellastic buddy blue hydro 5-8 but its very very soft solid is just not gunna be as good or failing that if u only have 3-5 quid to spend on laccy buy maver latex no 5 good luck

Comment

Connor, A good set up is to use a mix of double and single.

Choose an elastic that is intended for the smaller fish, say a No4. When you elasticate the top kit, instead of tying the end of the elastic straight to the winder bung, make a large loop, but this loop must be the correct length so that when at full stretch the knot you used to form it mustn't come out of the bush.

This way you have a length of single 4 for the silvers, with a section of double 4 behind it to help if anything bigger comes along. Remember though, that if say you are fishing with 0.09mm hooklength, it is ultimately relying on double 4 if anything bigger comes along.

I used this setup myself this summer for paste, but with solid 14's, but only where there was a bit more room in the swim.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Yeah luke i do that with my top kits when i was using 14.
                Its a good thing to do incase you catch a nicer fish.
                Should i use a pulla bung with the light laccy?

Comment

Latex is just a non-coloured elastic and you'll be better off using the middy or preston elastic as it's far more consistent and reliable.
                  Hydro is the last elastic i'd choose for roach unless they average a pound each which is highly unlikely.
                  Luke's loop should really be standard fare when using lighter elastics and I twizzle the loop before tying it off.
                  Forget pulla bungs they are for carping and not what the question was about.
                  MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

I seen in will raisons videos that he uses a solid 6 elastic for roach as the blue hydro is still a bit heavy for them

Comment

I always use vespe no 5 for roach it is beautifully forgiving.

Carl.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ALLENS TACKLE AND BAITS, LEAMORE, WALSALL.

Comment

i am pretty confident with middy hi viz so there is the choice of 4-6 or 6-8 you shouldnt bump fish off on a 6-8 should you?

Comment

If you're just catching roach, i'd go for the 4-6... if there's a chance of bigger fish go for the 6-8 set quite soft.

Carl.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ALLENS TACKLE AND BAITS, LEAMORE, WALSALL.

Comment

Team Daiwa solid number 5 looks ideal and there are a few crucians in there too and the odd decent carp but i will fish single (dead)/Red maggot on the hook so will hopefully avoid those

Comment

a number three or four set soft should suffice connor with a mustad wide gape hook
                              nige cooke

Comment

Working...
                              X