Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Which light float rod???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which light float rod???

My lovely new Matchpro Ultralight was stolen so looking to replace it...should I just buy another or should I consider something like the older Daiwa Whisker Kevlar Match Super Light? They look lovely and Ive seen a few for sale but dont know how they compare with each other?

Originally posted by pikeflyco View Post
    My lovely new Matchpro Ultralight was stolen so looking to replace it...should I just buy another or should I consider something like the older Daiwa Whisker Kevlar Match Super Light? They look lovely and Ive seen a few for sale but dont know how they compare with each other?
    I am a big fan of the Matchpro range & have a 12ft Matchpro Ultralight 2 piece & its a brilliant waggler rod on rivers & stillwaters. The other one to consider is the Drennan 13ft Silverfish which is 2 piece with a 12" dolly butt & Paul K on here has a mint example for sale.

John
    John

Comment

Had a waggle with the one you mention and just wasnt taken with it...dont know why but just wasnt for me...maybe a bit irrational nonetheless just didnt get a feel for it.

Another possible alternative I was looking at is the Shakespeare Mach 3 LITE 13ft. It isnt as beautiful as the Drennan Matchpro but I hear good things and wonder how it compares?

Really just looking at a few possibilities before spending another £130ish to replace my Matchpro Ultralight.

Comment

The Shakeys are possibly the best value rods for the money available including their commie range & the Lite model gets good reviews. which matchpro did you have & which rod did you have a waggle with.
        John

Comment

i would buy a shaky lite before the drennan silver fish,big fan of drennan the classic and fennese and drx range iv been fishing with the 12ft ultra lite today but wish i had gone for the fennesse 13ft anyone want to swap

Comment

Originally posted by trentman3 View Post
            i would buy a shaky lite before the drennan silver fish,big fan of drennan the classic and fennese and drx range iv been fishing with the 12ft ultra lite today but wish i had gone for the fennesse 13ft anyone want to swap
            How are you mate, also a big fan of the top Drennan rods, have settled on the IM9 Finesse 13 ft & the 12ft Matchpro Ultralite plus Matchpro feeder rods 12ft medium & 12ft superfeeder rods plus a couple of Shimano commie rods 1 float, 1 feeder so sorted.
            John

Comment

I had the Matchpro Ultralite 13ft and loved it...but only got to use it maybe 11 times before it was stolen a few weeks ago. Its the Drennan Silverfish that I didnt like when I had a waggle.

Just wanted to explore a few options before blowing another small fortune on a replacement Matchpro Ultralite. I keep hearing graet things abou Mach 3 rods but was just wondering if the Mach 3 Lite could compare to the Drennan Ultralite??? the Drennan would be hard to beat I imagine but the Shakey is a great price...although I wouldnt want to compromise too much so if the Shakey is only popular for value and not in the same league as the Matchpro I wouldnt want to go down that road.

Comment

The Shakey is good for the money but not up to the Matchpro standards. for example you have sic rings on the Matchpro. If you want 13ft have a look at the rod me & Trentman rave about the Drennan IM9 Finesse, top of the range, light, well balanced & a big advantage is it is 2 piece so great to leave set up as the butt section is a foot longer than the tip section & the bottom foot of cork unscrews. To me its one of the best river rods I have ever used & I have owned them all in my time, Normark Titan 2000/Avenger 2000/Microlite 2000 & this compares.

cheers John
                John

Comment

The Drennan Action Tip Range are also very good and go quite cheaply on e-bay.

Comment

Just bought another Matchpro Ultralight...got one brand new for £99 all in so not much to think about.

Comment

Working...
                    X