Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

cleaning top kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning top kits

i've been having probs lately with elastics not running smoothly through my top kits. i had a couple of elastics break over the weekend and upon inspection, i found they were all in need of replacement so today i've decided to replace them all. i've removed some of the elastics and noticed a kind of furry mould on the inside of the sections of the top kits. i've been told that this has happened by me not drying out my kits after fishing (lesson learnt!). my question is, what is the best way to clean the fur/mould out of the top kits. i want to remove it before i replace any of the elastics. thanks in advance

Stick the shower head over the female end of the section and turn it on, should get rid of it all.
    [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
    [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
    [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by connor View Post
      Stick the shower head over the female end of the section and turn it on, should get rid of it all.
      BUT then let them dry. lol
      John

Comment

i use a a small piece of a wet wipe and cut it accordingly, thread it onto the the wire you use to thread your elastic threw your top kits and slide slowly as you would running your elastic threw your top kits and bingo you have clean inside walls of your top kits, i find washing them threw the shower doesnt always remove the rubbish which gets stuck to the side walls on your top kits

Comment

Tried that once, baby wipe got stuck in the kit, make sure you do cut it down lol. Wouldnt budge for me!
          [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
          [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
          [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
          [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

It's black mould which builds up if the kit is stored wet, the shower trick does not work.
            I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
            He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Originally posted by jethro View Post
              It's black mould which builds up if the kit is stored wet, the shower trick does not work.
              you're right jethro, i doesn't and it hasn't. would attaching a small piece of sponge to the laccy threader do the job? is it safe to use some sort of detergent on a top kit to try and help remove it? once i've removed the elastic and actually looked inside the pole, it's really no wonder my elastic was juddering and not going back inside

Comment

Get shut and buy a new pole, make the mould someone elses problem.

Comment

I find standing the pole tops pointy end first in a bowl of soapy water (fairy liquid) then pouring warm soapy water down the fat end untill full, let them soak for 15 mins then just swill em out.
                  Always works for me and my mates.
                  River anglers Go with the flow.

Comment

thanks rick, i'll give that a go tomorrow

Comment

Just put them in a bath with plenty of washing up liquid fairly hot & leave submerged for about 1/2 hr
                      then rinse through
                      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by waterlicked View Post
                        you're right jethro, i doesn't and it hasn't. would attaching a small piece of sponge to the laccy threader do the job? is it safe to use some sort of detergent on a top kit to try and help remove it? once i've removed the elastic and actually looked inside the pole, it's really no wonder my elastic was juddering and not going back inside
                        If you've got black mould it's a right ball ache, the best two tips I've got off here is how to make floating casters sink from Big Col (thanks Colin) & the other was from Rich 200 regarding cleaning top kits with long pipe cleaners (thanks Rich)
                        Once you have it you will have a full time job shifting it I give mine a good clean monthly.
                        It's no a good idea in my opinion to pull anything through that could get stuck.
                        I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
                        He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Working...
                        X