Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Pole help, advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pole help, advice

Hi All,
    I’m looking for some advice on what pole to get, my budget is around £500, Now i have to admit i have never pole fished before, even though i have been fishing for over 30 years i am a little slow to embrace new technology from what I have read it seems that I would be better going for a second hand pole as you would get a much better pole for your money, now I am certain that there are many pit falls to this that’s why I thought I would ask the fishing collective to help me out

Many thanks

Hi Grant
    You certainly haven't rushed into pole fishing have you ;-)
    £500 would get you a good quality used pole, just what you need. For what it's worth I would suggest the following -
    > stick to the major brands! Daiwa, Shimano, Sensas Preston and Tricast
    > get at least 14.5 metres, you may never fish that long but the balance is improved by having pole behind and in front, especially when you new to pole fishing
    > try to have at least 4/5 top kits plus a cupping kit, all the same length too
    > invest in baby wet wipes and use them every time to wipe your pole down at the end of the day! keeps it super clean and makes it go together and apart easily
    > always use at least 1 roller to improve your fishing and take care of the pole

That's it from me , hope it helps

Comment

774 has got it spot on mate but what I would say is keep away from maver if it's your fist pole have a look for a daiwa g8 or the g20 you won't go wrong with ether of them and there are loads of spares about unlike many other poles I have a garbolino and love mine but it's down to personal wants and needs pal and also the venues your fishing if it's mainly commercial work and catching lumps down the edge in summer any of the above poles will be up to it! Try and find a good second hand used one rather than going straight to a shop.good luck with the purchase and am sure you will love it on the pole pal

Comment

why keep away from maver morris?they are the only poles i have used and never had a problem with any of them?its down to personal choice and how u use them..

Comment

Agree stay clear of m#ver

Comment

Thanks for the info and feedback guys, and 774, 1 will remember to pick-up some wet wipes, I have seen some good reviews on Browning Xitan Z 14.5m All Rounder and could prob squeeze the extra £150 from the piggy bank to get one of these new, comes with what looks to be a good package, does anyone have any experience of this pole,

Comment

Originally posted by Grant101 View Post
              Thanks for the info and feedback guys, and 774, 1 will remember to pick-up some wet wipes, I have seen some good reviews on Browning Xitan Z 14.5m All Rounder and could prob squeeze the extra £150 from the piggy bank to get one of these new, comes with what looks to be a good package, does anyone have any experience of this pole,
              Your falling for it mate (the lure of a new pole)

Far better off with a well looked after 2nd hand pole when the owner is upgrading, as you will in time.

Best to avoid the "pro repairs on the 4th/5th/6th joints which dont affect the pole" as what that means its been hammered.

Would suggest a 2nd hand Daiwa Conny, without breakages as the pole holds its value, spares are plentifull & available

Good luck
              John

Comment

I've used my fair share if poles and including maver poles there spongy on the sections and if your abit Heavy handed they are very easy to break the top kits are very long!! Maver seem to fetch out a new pole every year saying better than last one and it's the same pole just with new graphics ! Pole technology is at this momet at a stand still in the carbon industry as the only way to really move forward is super expensive cloths that are being used in f1 industry so for me they can't keep saying it's better than the last it's utter bollex and if they keep saying it year in and out then you seem to think why have they changed it if it was so good then there is no teal need to keep changing a pole if it's as good as they say it is
                Is in my opinon and from experience of owning a maver I can say stay away as my experience with them has not been great and an other problem is that all the sections look the same on the 88 and the lower poles just makes menthink sometimes your not getting what you have paid for

Comment

Morris, your spot on, I had a go at commies & bought a Daiwa Whisker 2012 for £1500 dont like commies so I was using a very expensive pole to fish the river at 11m, total waste imho.

Sold the whisker & bought on here a 14m Daiwa Whisker Tommy Pickering Conny circa 1993 for £120 weighs 875g @ 12.5m, is much slimmer & handles whatever I throw at it, came with 3 top 4s so bought 3 top 3 generic top 3s for £110 so I have spent £230 on an old but quality pole. This pole cost when it was new £999 @ 12.5m plus £200 for the extension so 20 years ago this pole was £1200 with maybe 2 top kits.
                  John

Comment

Maver Elite Carp

Comment

Grant
                      Noda is selling a Z4 on here With loads of tops & Spare sections
                      Looks to be well worth what he is asking
                      Daiwa poles are always worth looking @ because the spares situation is great
                      Colin

Comment

http://talkangling.co.uk/fishing/pol...5733-pole.html
                        In darkness we do what we can
                        In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, think i have found a daiwa connoisseur g20 to start myself on,

Comment

Working...
                          X