Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

What are these marks on my pole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these marks on my pole?

I was cleaning my pole earlier, and I noticed these marks on the 14.5m section. Pole is a Daiwa G20 2012 version, which I bought second hand last year; the section was in mint condition when I bought it - the marks definitely weren't there beforehand. I can't say how long they are likely to have been there, as I've hardly been out fishing in recent months, but I was out last weekend and don't remember seeing them then.

First I thought they were splash marks from the stuff I was cleaning it with, but they won't budge with a damp cloth and plenty of elbow grease. Then I thought they might be chips in the surface, but I cant feel any imperfection when I run my finger over them, and in the second image there is a small stone chip in the upper right area which I can feel catching my finger nail, but these marks don't catch at all. Then I thought it might be something stuck on the surface or the slide easy coating peeling away, but again I cant feel anything with my fingernail or see any material lifting away.

The marks are all on the same 'face' of the section which suggests to me that its been exposed to something that has splashed or sprayed onto it, but I'm flummoxed as to what! Does anyone have any ideas what the marks are, and if they are anything to worry about?

Cheers!

polemarks1_JPG.jpg

polemarks2_JPG.jpg
    Steve

It looks like some laminate has come off or something along those lines. What product do you use to clean the pole?

Comment

I just use a household all purpose cleaning spray, nothing too aggressive. I can't see that the spray itself has caused the damage - I used it on the whole pole but its only two small areas of one section that is affected. I thought it was laminate coming away too, but as I said I cant feel any sort of defect at all on the surface.
      Steve

Comment

The laminate layer is so thin that it wouldn't be noticeable to the touch. Perhaps you used a salty bait or bait soaked in a salty liquid that dripped onto the pole when baiting up and has corroded away the laminate slightly.

Comment

The section hasn't actually been used for ages, as I've not had to fish longer than 11.5 - 13m max in any matches I've fished this year. Certainly last weekend it wasn't used, as my peg was only 11m wide, so this section and the 13m were left in the holdall.

I've never heard of salty baits corroding the laminate on a pole before - is that common?
          Steve

Comment

After staring at it for a while i thought it may be either Ursa major or the Big dipper! On reflection it may just be some Cow and Gate residue of yer hands Steve! lol
            HAPPY TOTTERINGHAMS DAY 15/5/2016

Comment

Lol Abbo. Nah, the nipper's being breastfed so I'm absolved of any responsibility there!

If it is the laminate that's corroded, do I need to get the section wrapped or otherwise repaired?
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by spickup79 View Post
                If it is the laminate that's corroded, do I need to get the section wrapped or otherwise repaired?
                No it won't affect the carbon. After all it hasn't even gone through the paint, just the thin varnish layer.

Comment

Cheers Fordy, appreciate it.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by spickup79 View Post
                    Lol Abbo. Nah, the nipper's being breastfed so I'm absolved of any responsibility there!

Hi Steve i reckon it may be worth your while contacting daiwa and send them a picture,they will advise you what to do and maybe you will get another section out of em!

Comment

Seen that before was told pole was put away wet
                      Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.

Homer J Simpson.

Comment

Look like water marks from hard water,they should wash off with a bit of fairy,if not then I don't know.

Comment

Cheers guys, I'll try giving it another clean, if not I might try contacting Daiwa but seeing as I bought it second hand they'll probably tell me to do one! I'm not particularly bothered about the marks being there as such, was just concerned they might reflect some sort of damage.
                          Steve

Comment

You are a Tart
                            if you want to see what a pole should look like after a month
                            Come & have a look @ mine or Lee Richards, 50% Carbon 30% Crap & @ least 20% Tape LOL
                            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
                              You are a Tart
                              if you want to see what a pole should look like after a month
                              Come & have a look @ mine or Lee Richards, 50% Carbon 30% Crap & @ least 20% Tape LOL
                              Only 30% Crap & 20% Tape! well yav either cleaned it or had a new pole since the last time i saw it then!

Comment

Working...
                              X