Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Chub fishing on the pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chub fishing on the pole

Having moved up north I am now experiencing the joys and pain of Northern canals... where I'm from canals are normally up to 5ft deep and you catch in three foot and up the shelf sometimes in as little as 10"

But now I have moved up here (Doncaster) the canals are a whole different experience - I am ok on my roach fishing but last sunday managed to lose two chub! Not a happy happy at all was I, so what hooks do you guys recommend for chub fishing on the pole - needs to be around an 18 for caster
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Didn't know you lost any last week Simon,but it did seem to be chub or bust in your section.Sometimes there are plenty of fish there,including decent bream,but obviously not last week,as I said to you on the way to your peg,it's a bit of a hard area to predict what you need,or indeed ,what will be present.
    In answer to your question,I use B611's in a 16,if your casters are decent then you can bury one no problem,or fish double.More important is your elastic and how it's set.Talk to me Sunday morning and I'll explain it to you.
    By the way,Thorne this Sunday holds fewer chub,although there are still quite a few,but it is mostly a lot less snaggy,so it isn't quite as desparate with the gear.
    Spanky (goldthorpe) in my section last week was sock on on the willows and was telling me beforehand his set up (black hydro tightened)0.20 line....I told him he wouldn't land any,as it was all wrong,he laughed but went on to get done 6 times,including breaking a section on one....the chub are proper animals on those pegs.Dave Brettel had two 6lbers from the same peg in one match last year.

Comment

Cheers chap, will definately appreciate the advice ... just seems that the deep water and chub got the better of me on that occassion and yes it was chub or bust in my section especially when me and the pegs either side couldnt buy a bite off a silver fish and then if you looked three pegs either side people where swinging 2-3oz roach right from the off!
      Simon Young
      Admin
      Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
      web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Simon,
        I still use Drennan Carbon Chub hooks in a 16 through to a 24 whenever I am fishing for chub whether on the wag, pole or feeder/bomb. I have used them since the early 90s and bought a load of them. I could probably count the number of times they have bent on one hand over that time, yet I have caught hundreds of pounds of 3 to near 6lb chub. A brilliant hook that got it right first time around.

Stu
        A Southerner, lost in the Midlands. ;)

Comment

Working...
        X