Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

what was this type of fishing called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what was this type of fishing called?

I've just got back from a recce at a lake not far from me and witnessed the craziest display of fishing I have seen in my life..
    I'm just getting back in the game after a long layoff and this evening went out to a lake not far from me, Moreton Lake on the Wirral.
    There was a guy fishing feeder rod, banded pellet on a kind of very slow sinking bubble float, think he called it a widget which he filled with water using a syringe to get exactly the right speed of sink. and this guy was hammering it...and I mean hammering it...they were taking every bite. he even changed the sinker for a big bung type float fished at about 6 inches and they were taking (took his biggest carp like this.. 7/8lb)
    I was chatting with him for about 30/45 mins just before dark light ripple on the water and I'd estimate he caught anywhere between 30 and 50lb of carp and a decent bream. bites tailed off when the wind died down.
    The guy even had one of those hand counters to keep track of how many fish he had caught, they were literally hooking themselves as he was firing out pellets with the catty..
    When I got home I've tried searching ebay for these slow sinking 'widgets' to no avail. and youtube for vids on tis method
    said he's used this method to catch 600lb of fish at some place down in Northampton.
    This isn't pellet waggler as he had 2 pellet waggler rods set up and said he couldn't get a bite on them.
    Fella was a star and answered all my questions, of which there were many..
    can anybody link me to any further info on this method as this fishery is literally 15 mins from my house and i'd like to try give it a go.
    Thanks.

sounds like the slow sinking bomb..
    OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Comment

It was one of our lads from the Eggy Ferry fishing club you probably saw mate.
      More than likely Lee or Degsy. Lee makes them himself and tidy they are too.
      Slow sinking widget and deadly on there, Lee and Degsy will empty the place if they are on it.
      On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Yeah have found the little blighters on ebay now..what a pleasure to watch in action
        never got his name, said he works in the fisherman Saturdays...
        cracking lad, for a red
        as news was coming in I tried to engage him on the Lukaku transfer but he compared him to what was paid for Suarez... must have forgot what was paid for Andy Carroll..

Comment

You have to be very carefull the way you set them up mate, as the fall through the water needs to be spot on.
          If you are having trouble when you get em pm me and i'll help you out.
          On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

yeah he said that, said it took a lot of trial and error to get the sink exactly right, said he had to time how long he left it to drop too as there's ledge which was the old quarry road which was deadly... didn't mess about getting them in either..couple of minutes max and that was the biggest fish.. minute was the norm.

I'd love to watch this method in action again... joy to behold.

can't believe how far fishing has come along since I put my gear in the shed 20 years ago?!?
            are there other fisheries around our way which this method can be used?

Comment

It will work on any fishery with open water in front of you and with a bit of depth.
              It's not the be and end all though mate, some days it will not get you a bite it's just another weapon in your armoury. Mainly and exclusively a summer method for when they are feeding off bottom.

Comment

Seems I arrived at just the right time as he said bites had been hit an miss up to that point, saying that he had 50 fish on the counter then but he'd been fishing since 9am.
                Can see how it's an ideal method for Moreton though, other lasd were taking carp off the top on bread.
                Had wondered about the banded pellet which he showed me up close so that can and will be used in a a good few situations.

Comment

Can you send the link ... is it the ping pong ball?

Comment

bit of research it seems all kinds of things have been used..artificial grapes from grrengrocers windows have evolved to:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2614418234...ht_1365wt_1000

Comment

Originally posted by richierich2347 View Post
                      Can you send the link ... is it the ping pong ball?
                      A ping pong ball is ideal, you need to arledite a swivel into the ball then with a hypodermic syring inject water into it so it has neutral bouyancy, this is critical as what you are trying to achieve is the weight of the pellet slowly sinking the ball. It works best with 8mm pellets as they have a bit of weight to them. The weight of the water in the ball is your casting weight, can be a nightmare in a strong tow as a big bow in the line forms but in the right conditions it's a killer method, start on the pellet waggler and as bites tail off throw the slow sinker over the same line and feed once before you cast and once after 10 seconds, wait till it hits the deck, retrieve and do it again.

Comment

The ball out of a roll-on deodorant would be better as it's a bit more robust and lends itself to modification more....also slightly more translucent than a ping pong ball so may not spook fish as much.
                        MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

Originally posted by TEAM RATTLER View Post
                          The ball out of a roll-on deodorant would be better as it's a bit more robust and lends itself to modification more....also slightly more translucent than a ping pong ball so may not spook fish as much.
                          Not a bad shout for "Sure"..... I'll get me coat.

Comment

Originally posted by SPADGER View Post
                            Not a bad shout for "Sure"..... I'll get me coat.
                            I'm waiting for TEAM RATTLER to come back and say "no sweat"...
                            Steve

Comment

Ha ha they're what i used to make my rattlers and cheap controller floats from!

Anyone got any lynx to owt else?

Ok....lame....wait spadge i'll come wi thi...
                              MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

Working...
                              X