Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Buying a new rod/reel, is this good/advice?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new rod/reel, is this good/advice?

OK, so I've pretty much got to the point where I need to upgrade my (borderline holiday/adventure rod/reel), I have pretty much got all other kit I need. I've been looking and want to spend around the £70 mark (£80) and want it to be new. I am float fishing, for things like tench, barbel, rudd, chubb, bream and small carp mainly in commercial fisheries.

I've decided my telescopic rod is ultimately crap (even though a few weeks back I landed my first 2 Carps in a row, I was more surprised than the fish) and after looking around this is what I narrowed down for the rod:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sigma-10...e-tips-p270560

And the reel:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/shakespe...l-reel-p270654

What do you think of my choice? good/bad kit? wrong type of reel/rod? your thoughts and suggestions please.

P.S

I do want to get it from that shop because I find them friendly and like the overall service, even if some things may cost a little more so please don't suggest other *places* to get it.
    Foxy

Well if ya doing mainly float fishing i would reconsider yer rod choice,its a feeder rod!
    Take advice from a proper tackle shop bud,personally i would go for a shimano reel!
    HAPPY TOTTERINGHAMS DAY 15/5/2016

Comment

Not a bad little set up bud! and for commercials why spend more, itl do the job you want it too, Ive had a Shakespeare mach 2 feeder for ages and I use it just as much as my more expensive gear. but no good for float fishing mate.

Comment

hi, for the type of fishing you mention, the rod is not correct.. as abbo says:

the site is very limited but if you have to use them:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/shimano-...t-10ft-p196185

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/shimano-...g-reel-p188478

this is a float setup from go outdoors but to be honest i wouldnt buy these or from there your kinda restricting the menu by saying pick what they have

This had better not be my mrs fishing for xmas gifts for me cuz i dont want this!!!!!

rw

Comment

Hmm keep the suggestions coming guys, fair enough on the rod - I wasn't sure whether a feeder would be a problem, but OK a float/spinner/match rod is the way to go I am guessing?

I like the reel I selected, feedback on that?

Like Rich did, please do some more recommendations, but bump the price up more (£70/80) at least it will be reasonable them.
          Foxy

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamwalker View Post
            Hmm keep the suggestions coming guys, fair enough on the rod - I wasn't sure whether a feeder would be a problem, but OK a float/spinner/match rod is the way to go I am guessing?

I like the reel I selected, feedback on that?

Like Rich did, please do some more recommendations, but bump the price up more (£70/80) at least it will be reasonable them.
            Think Rich has it spot on there bud!
            HAPPY TOTTERINGHAMS DAY 15/5/2016

Comment

This is the type of rod you need, its a decent tool and the reel Richie picked out would be ideal as well

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/maver-ab...ce-rod-p272459

Comment

The Maver Abyss X rod Jimbo recommended is spot-on for what you need - those rods are really good for the money. If its just for commercials where you're not gonna have to cast too far, I'd go for the 11ft rather than the 12ft.

The Shimano Nexave reel that Rich suggested is also ideal, but I'd go for the 3000 sized front-drag rather than the 4000 size rear drag. Coupled with the Maver rod, this will give you a nicely balanced float-fishing set-up that will cover all sorts of styles, from flicking out small traditional wagglers to catch small silvers on the drop with maggots, to chucking heavy pellet wagglers to catch carp up to low-doubles.

Plus you would have change from your £70-£80 budget - bonus
                Steve

Comment

Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming I am getting a better idea now.
                  Foxy

Comment

So far I am going with rich's suggestion, but am still up for suggestions.

P.S

If there was still the £80 limit but could get it in any UK shop (so not restricting to Go Outdoors) - what would you guys suggest then? it has to be new, sorry just curious but am still likely to get that shimano rod/reel especially as it's on clearance.
                    Foxy

Comment

If you are looking for an all-round float rod.... i think this would be better for you:

Shakespeare MACH2 XT 13ft Commercial Match Rod...... clearance price at the moment at Go Outdoors to..... 13ft rod will do everything you ask of it!!!

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/shakespe...al-rod-p144945

Comment

Oh FFS I was going to reserve it, but they don't have them in and I can't get them from the Manchester store
                        Foxy

Comment

The maver abyss x is a really good rod for the money, i've got a couple as back ups to my main rods and I have no complaints.

Comment

OK guys, so that was annoying, I found my kit and they don't have it in - I can't even order it!!!!

SO change of plan, if any of you know of a shop near to Bury Manchester (as close as possible) preferably with a website so I can browse, then let me know - also, make suggestions from those shops with an £80 budget please.

I guess by default I have to go somewhere else, blessing in disguise?
                            Foxy

Comment

Never tried these, any good? http://www.fishingrepublic.net
                              Last edited by Dreamwalker; 12 August 2014, 10:53 PM.
                              Foxy

Comment

Working...
                              X