Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Boss seat box and accessories- worth the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss seat box and accessories- worth the money?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351168266423

Anyone seen this? Looks like a proper bargain from sports direct. Is it the same quality as the original boss products though? Still- very good price for a lot of kit. I'm not thinking of getting one and I'm not promoting the product- just wondered what you guys reckon.
    Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
    Alwight tweacle?

I don't think it's anything like a BOSS, looks good in the pic but a look before you buy may be a good idea.
    I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
    He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Jethro
      what makes you say you Dont think its anything like a Boss box ??
      The box in the pictures was definately 1 of the orginal designs from the 90s apart from the foot plat & pole boom
      i sold 1000s of Boss & Smart boxes up to about 1997,it definately looks Right to me
      I dont think Sports direct would be naive enough to call it Boss if it aint
      would cost them a fortune in law suits
      Colin

Comment

Well Colin I use a BOSS I bought my box in 1987 I still use it to this day for the hammer it gets it's still in good nick, infact I would be unable to fish without it.
        The box in the picture appears to have a plastic look which as you will know BOSS are a mix of wood/fibreglass/metal no plastic included.
        Though the outside appearance is a copy size wise the similarity ends there. All fastening clips on the original box even on the newer models that were made without the internal legs were metal, the one pictured has what appear plastic clips. The platform on the original box swings underneath the box Boss newer models platform I think swung up to fasten on the front of the box. The one above looks like a cassette type.
        On top of everything the original box is hand made apart from the metal clips and fastenings things like the base, top box, and drawers are all hand made as you know, the one pictured is machine made.
        These are things I've noticed if I was to investigate further I'm sure others would show themselves.
        I say it's machine made because when I bought my box the cost was £390 the box above is £175. This doesn't say it's machine made but hourly rate does.
        I'm not saying the box is rubbish I have no evidence, I do have evidence the original is made to last, typical British workmanship the best.
        Is it worth the money it probably is, is it made to last, time will tell.

Comment

mate bargain got everything you could need its daiwa boss rrp399 mike ashley just buys bulk he did the same thing with the shakespeare mach 3xt light 13ft match rod sold for £79.99 he sold them for £49.99 mate grab a bargain let the daftons spend twice as much very light with the barrow wheel kit i say its a steel at £175

Comment

Have to agree with you Jethro.Im still using the 8 drawer original with internal legs,i was talked into it by dave Harrell in fosters donkeys years ago,he was using one himself,so I thought ok,even though I went to buy a AS1 box.The price was discounted to £350 about the price of a 3 piece suite in them days!All these years later its still solid,waterproof,all ive done is bought a moderator seat for extra comfort.The picture doesn't really look much like my box,it looks more like the boxes that daiwa built when they merged or took over boss.As you said the original knobs etc were all metal with a pin to stop the drawers falling out.I bought my son a boss box I think a team daiwa boss,with external legs etc,all though its an excellent box,its not as strong as my original,but it certainly looks stronger than the one in the picture.I don't like the new modulater boxes[plastic fittings etc]and this looks similar to them,but,at the price and with all the fittings its got,then it certainly looks good value for money,id certainly have a look if I needed a box.

Comment

Thought Boss went under. Did used tackle/dragon carp buy the brand?

Comment

I think used tackle/dragon carp bought the brand and then sports direct bought the lot. I've got a couple of the boss keep nets from used tackle and they're good quality- was very tempted to try this one out, but went for the daiwa 400 in the end. See other post.
                Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
                Alwight tweacle?

Comment

Larry teepot will know more but fishermans friend were the only stockists of boss products around the midlands that I now of.Not sure of what deal they had etc,or whether they just bought a job lot of boss products.

Comment

Jethro
                    i agree with you 100% regarding the Original Hand Made Boss Boxes ,The 1st 1 i ever owned was in late 85
                    The design did evolve over the yrs & as i pointed out Never incorporated Cassette footplates or Pole Booms
                    Boss became a subsidary of Diawa in Later years & Plastics etc were then used
                    Yes in many things you get what you Pay for
                    The Original Boxes were Built to last as were ASI
                    I am not saying the Box is the same but the Design is very similar to 1 of the Original Patterns(admitted Now Mass produced) & for the Money i believe them to be well worth the price they are selling for !!
                    There are so Many boxes available in Todays Market @ Obscene Prices from £400+ to in excess of £1200
                    Non of theses IMO are comparable to the Boxes we had in the 80s onwards
                    Sadly the Majority of stuff we are forced to buy Nowadays will never be of the quality of the Originals
                    If Boss or ASI were available today As Original they would Demand Top End Prices !!
                    I still have my Original Boxes ,Both are used regularly for River Outings By my Son & Both are as Good as the day i got them
                    apart from needing a bit of a clean !!
                    Colin

Comment

I had the idea you were thinking of the boxes that were ruined by BOSS merging with other companies rather than staying on their own. In everything money shouts loudest. Even the box that started the thread is no comparison to the first models produced as nice as it looks. The price is enough to say the quality is not there but for folk on a budget it's probably a good buy, the saying is still the same buy cheap buy twice.
                      Is there a box I would change to? not one that I have seen yet, I expect my box to last me out and if it doesn't I will be disappointed though it has more than paid for itself.
                      Though I was sticking with my thoughts there's no way I was going to argue, I know you have far more knowledge regarding tackle/angling than I.
                      By the way when I said the original box didn't include any plastic it wasn't strictly true, the wheels and side tray plus hand wheel grips are plastic.

Comment

Jethro
                        there is No way i am going to argue
                        yes i have been around the Trade for years but that does not make me any better than anyone else
                        even after all these yrs i am still learning
                        All your observations were based on your experience of a superb item of Tackle that has served you well & will continue to do so for many yrs to come
                        my opinion was that the design was similar & that @ the price advertised it was well worth looking @ rather than being forced into paying obscene amounts for some of the TAT that is flooding the Market lately
                        Jethro i respect your opinions &always take notice of your observations & comments & will continue to do so
                        Colin

Comment

how does the wheels attach, cant see a good photo
                          ***** JohnBoy *****

Comment

[QUOTE=BIG COL;452887]
                            Jethro there is No way i am going to argue
                            yes i have been around the Trade for years but that does not make me any better than anyone else
                            even after all these yrs i am still learning

I agree Colin we all are still learning.
                            My catch ratio has increased by what I've picked up from this forum, a lot of which is thanks to you.

Comment

Thanks for that mate !!
                              Iwish my catch rate would IMPROVE!!
                              LOL
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X