Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Finding the right Avon :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding the right Avon :)

Hi all.
    Im after an Avon rod but want a tip action version, I've read they are traditionally through action which I don't like, a lot of descriptions don't mention action so I'm finding it hard to find 1.
    around say £50ish, will be fishing for carp around 12lb.
    Any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Big Blanker View Post
    Hi all.
    Im after an Avon rod but want a tip action version, I've read they are traditionally through action which I don't like, a lot of descriptions don't mention action so I'm finding it hard to find 1.
    around say £50ish, will be fishing for carp around 12lb.
    Any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance
    Not an Avon rod you need bud! something like a light-medium waggler rod would be more suitable!
    HAPPY TOTTERINGHAMS DAY 15/5/2016

Comment

SR3 12ft wagg rod
      or most 2 piece 11or 12 ft Pellet wag rods
      Colin

Comment

Thanks for the replies, defiantly a consideration I do like the avon style tho, ( I have a pellet waggler but never liked my 1) I have an avon but its a through action but would be ideal if it was a tippy lol,the non quiver section.
        I was also looking at carp floater but there abit pricier and big.
        It's really to play with in the margins as my 2 main rods would be right out.
        Hears a vid I noticed 1 on but couldn't get the make.

http://youtu.be/CWNKNtLCRyg

Sorry to be a pain lol

Comment

Avon rods are through action
          you are looking for something that does not Exist .
          the closest you will get is definately going to be 1 of the many pellet Wag variations
          As far as i know most Carp Stalking rods ,are through action there may be the odd 1 out there that isnt
          maybe 1 of the Speci experts on here could point you in the right direction
          Colin

Comment

Didn't realise they didn't exist, no problem thanks

Comment

you would have spent a very long time looking for a fast action Avon rod mate!!
              from your original post am i right in assuming the rod you are using @ the moment is some sort of Combi rod with seperate top joints
              1 standard & 1 with a quiver tip ??
              if that is the case i would suggest that you get a more suitable rod asap
              in all honesty there are a lot of these cheap Combis around @ the moment & 90% of them are crap !!
              you will definately notice the difference with a decent rod !!
              have a look @ the Diawa SR range or the Shakespeare Mach 1 ,2 or 3
              Colin

Comment

Yeah I have that type like a John Wilson avon with 2 top sections but I don't use it for carping, I have proper carp rods but I wanted a 3rd rod to have abit of fun with while I was waiting for a bite, did you see the you tube vid? He says its an avon but I am not sure now, I'm after what he's playing the carp in on
                I will check out those rods, thanks

Comment

The rod on that Video looks like a 1.75 Carp blank to me the shape of the Handle looks very much like an old design Korum
                  if you want something just for a bit of fun while waiting for ages behind buzzers etc ,then i would go for a decent stalking rod
                  Steer clear of TFG ,John Wilson & other Budget makes like Dragon Carp etc ,there is No need to buy these most are crap
                  good quality rods are available @ very good prices ,
                  Most of thebudget ranges are very poor quality & over priced
                  Colin

Comment

I see ok, thanks for your advise, after looking around I think either pellet waggler or carp floater, I thought the diawa was ok ill keep looking tho ( I'm really fussy I know) not found many with a tip action, the longbow df has I'm not paying that if I can help it, think I'd rather a pellet waggler anyway I like lighter rods if I can get away with it, I didn't think it would be so difficult lol

Sorry I made u watch the vid he's abit mad lol

Comment

Found my perfect rod, Korum expert 2.2 lb tc

http://www.korum.co.uk/Item_KXROD#.VC3FRsu9KSM

"we recognised that nothing with a steely, tippy action was available outside of custom built rods costing hundreds of pounds. For this reason we developed our own Fast Action carbon blanks"

Bit more than I was going to spend but what the hell lol

Comment

sorry if it seems that i am being awkward but the 2.2 is a real Beast of a Rod totaly unsuitable for the Type of fishing you intend to do !!
                        it is Rated to 15lbs line &designed for chucking Huge leads or feeders into oblivion !!
                        you would rip the Hook out of Virtualy everything you made contact with under 50 to 60 yds
                        Personaly for the type of fishing you have stated i would advise the 1.1 or the 1,5 definately nothing heavier
                        Colin

Comment

Not at all I'm here for advice
                          I didn't realise it would be so much of a beast, what sort of size carp would you think I could bring in on 1.5?
                          Cheers

Comment

20lbs + without any problems @ all
                            depending how you play the fish most 1.5 rods can handle virtualy anything you are likely to encounter
                            Colin

Comment

Ok great, perfect.
                              Ill go for the 1.5

Cheers for your help

Comment

Working...
                              X