Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Heres a new question for the youngsters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heres a new question for the youngsters

How many of you younguns have many friends who also go fishing?

What I am trying to gauge is what percentage of young lads and lasses (to a lesser extent) actually go fishing, because to me it doesnt seem like there are many youngsters coming through.

And if there arent many, what can we do to encourage more youngsters?
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

i have gotten about 7-10 of my good mates fishing and they are loving it.
    they all thought it was sat in the rain catching nothing all day.
    Well they were wrong....
    [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
    [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
    [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

How young would you call young....Mr Young ?

True question though. I'm 32, but still call myself young. However, most people in my club (well...not my own actual club), are older, and in majority, range from about 40 odd up to probably well in to the 70's. A few others younger than me, some others about the same age.

As getting more youngsters in to it. Tough question.
      Is it the image? The cost of equipment (by that, I mean fully kitting yourself out)? The cost of fishing (£5-£7 per day around here, then you have to folk out for own fishery pellets etc - or you go for a membership of a club, but cheapest is £55)? The lack of support/encouragement from parents? Transport (if we are talking youngsters under the driving age, can be a problem)?

Just some thoughts.
      Last edited by shiny_bottom_1; 27 September 2010, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Im 18 and one person my age fishes in my club

Comment

Very good points made by shiny,i do know my local club Clive Vale hold teaching sessions throughout the summer,where the club supply all the kit for youngsters and the members give there time,its been quite successful.At the risk of upsetting a few people one of the major problems is parents who wont help there kids,by that i mean cant be bothered to spend just a couple of hours a weekend on the bank or making
          enquiries to local clubs about junior sessions.As mr bottom pointed out it could be a street cred thing,and of course cost of getting started.At the end of the day there are loads adult anglers who would spare
          the kids some time,just a shame some parents wont..
          OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Comment

It is easier for Mom and Dad to go and buy kids Pcs Games etc because when they have paid for it the kids are left to it .
            When you look @ the facts if they get them tackle they still have to take them fishing ,dont they???
            Thats fine but if the parents dont know anything about fishing then both of them are going to be bored very quickly
            Also if the parent has No interest they wont take the kids any way
            What our Sport needs is more clubs solely for kids and guys like Starlets
            Ken Aske started them late 60s ,look @ the fantastic talent that has come from there.
            Colin

Comment

I might be blowing my own trumpet here but my club for a good few years now about 15yrs if I remember right has been allowing for a junior member who pays no subscriptions.
              Said young member gets all allowances that the members get, IE transport, pegging, prizes, christmas turkey, free draw every week x2 £5 made when subs are taken & a grant made from money left over at the end of our financial year normally £50, and at the age of 18 gets invited to join.
              I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
              He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

I fished the Division One national on the Trent this year and at 38 I gaurantee 95% of the field were older than me and alot of that much older than me! That just goes to show there are very few youngsters!

I would have thought that parents would jump at the chance to get rid of youngsters for the day ALL DAY! Trouble is if you want to be in charge of a group of youngsters for a day then you need all sorts of certificates and police checks etc!!!

I dont think parents appreciate how much youngsters can get from angling and if they did then there would be many more on the banks! I have had tackle dealers moaning to me that the sport is on its knees and their shops are dying out, I think its time that these guys who own shops took it apon themselves to all get together and start up junior sections offering tuition and days out - there has to be a market for it and the survival of the sport is dependant on something serious and organised being set up....
                Simon Young
                Admin

Comment

Its also about motive for the youngsters.
                  I was lucky enough to have a river just 5 minutes walk from house (only 100m away - between the folks house and river was just a field - but had to walk around (most of the time) to get there).
                  But when I needed bait, I used to cycle 30 minutes each way to get soem maggots. I even used to cycle with my gear for 20/25 minutes when I wanted to fish a lake.
                  Lots of issues, and probably needs a good think about had to tackle it correctly. But something that is perminant, rather than temporary. Times have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneabung View Post
                    I fished the Division One national on the Trent this year and at 38 I gaurantee 95% of the field were older than me and alot of that much older than me! That just goes to show there are very few youngsters!

I would have thought that parents would jump at the chance to get rid of youngsters for the day ALL DAY! Trouble is if you want to be in charge of a group of youngsters for a day then you need all sorts of certificates and police checks etc!!!

I dont think parents appreciate how much youngsters can get from angling and if they did then there would be many more on the banks! I have had tackle dealers moaning to me that the sport is on its knees and their shops are dying out, I think its time that these guys who own shops took it apon themselves to all get together and start up junior sections offering tuition and days out - there has to be a market for it and the survival of the sport is dependant on something serious and organised being set up....
                    I was younger and I hope when you say you "fished" it you are using the term very loosely!? To catch so little off that flyer was an embarrassment to this site!

Comment

Nathan you git! I went for it big style and it was win or bust..... and OK I should have refraised it as "I looked younger than 95% of the field"
                      Simon Young
                      Admin

Comment

Chucked in the wrong place!

Comment

at one of my local venues there is a very high number of "younger" ones 12-16 and the good thing is theres always matches and tuition,s going on for them by a couple of the local 'pro's' the matches are always fully booked..... theres 45 pegged and 10 extra on un pegged bank when the matches are on.... so id say round here the youngsters are thriving :-)
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

im 13 my dad takes me fishing at cudmore and on the canal, thats when he is not fishing matches, i started at age of 10 and i like it now because he shows me how to do thing right, and he paid for all my tackle, i use a daiwa pole my dads got a maver he he sorry dad lol,hope he dont read this.but there is not many matches for us young ones???

Comment

Originally posted by Oneabung View Post
                              Nathan you git! I went for it big style and it was win or bust..... and OK I should have refraised it as "I looked younger than 95% of the field"
                              It must be down to all the Cream you put on your Face !!!
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X