Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

River fishing lots of weed, new starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River fishing lots of weed, new starter

Hi,

I used to fish quite a bit 20 years ago, just amateur stuff no competition, in the Ouse going through Huntingdon. The fishing used to be good, fighting for a place on the bank to fish from, with lots of marked out pegs.

My 6 year old son has started getting into fishing now, took him last year and bagged a fair few small perch, dace etc. However, the river near the banks, at least 10 ft out which is as far as I can see, is just full of weed growing a few feet under the water. fishing any further out is not really an option as he cant see the float, so my question is, do I plumb the depth and spend all day getting snagged in weed, or do I fish above the weed with shallower hook lengths? any recommendations?

The river is only 300yds from my house, so its convenient to walk down and can easily walk home when he gets bored, hence not wanting to go to any of the ponds etc nearby,

Thanks!

Find a section with less weed, fishing in weedy river swims will cause a lot of issues, especially for a young child.

Comment

Clear a swim.
      I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
      He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

old rake? only wanted to pop down for an hour or so!! to be honest I've walked a mile and half along the river looking for a weed free spot, it aint happening, guess I'll fish above the weed and let him catch Gudgeon !

Comment

Fishing up in the water on a river is probably going to be fairly ineffective tbh. Raking is the best option if you can't find weed free sections nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by EddieThorpe View Post
            old rake? only wanted to pop down for an hour or so!! to be honest I've walked a mile and half along the river looking for a weed free spot, it aint happening, guess I'll fish above the weed and let him catch Gudgeon !
            Fishing is like anything else
            You only get out what you are prepared to put in !!
            Your lad will be fed up within the hour & Resigned to a life of TV I pods & Video games !!
            Colin

Comment

wrong! didnt get bored at all! 2 hours this evening, only stopping when a large black cloud appeared and it started to rain. Caught a decent sized perch, a few smaller ones and some dace, went easily into double figures and not a Gudgeon in sight, all just fishing slightly in to the top of the weed, well off the bottom. The added bonus, and what almost made me jump out of my skin, a seal popped its head out of the water right in front of use (3 ft) starred for a minute or so before disappearing back under, you dont get that at fisheries !!

Comment

wrong! didnt get bored at all! 2 hours this evening, only stopping when a large black cloud appeared and it started to rain. Caught a decent sized perch, a few smaller ones and some dace, went easily into double figures and not a Gudgeon in sight, all just fishing slightly in to the top of the weed, well off the bottom. The added bonus, and what almost made me jump out of my skin, a seal popped its head out of the water right in front of use (3 ft) starred for a minute or so before disappearing back under, you dont get that at fisheries !!
                Im Glad you had a enjoyable couple of Hrs
                Thats what its all about ,while the float keeps going under your Lad will love it
                Dont think i would be Happy about the Seal though !!
                If that thing stays around for a few Days it will eat virtualy everything in Sight
                i would report that sighting to the Angling trust or E/A if i was you & see if they can get Rid of it !!
                Mind you with their Track record I wouldnt Hold my Breath !!
                they have been promising to remove them from the Severn for about 3 yrs now they are still here
                Colin

Comment

Clear a swim + take a gun.
                  I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
                  He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

nice one jethro,because the powers that be dont give a dam

Comment

There are now 3 or 4 on the Severn around Worcester area
                      they are definately Different Animals ,not just 1 as certain people are trying to say
                      Colin

Comment

Most anglers wouldnt class thats as a bonus, just like seeing Cormorants.--I agree about the gun.
                        Last edited by hurricane; 3 July 2014, 01:49 PM.
                        Bike racing, match angling pensioner.

Comment

There was a woman in our local supermarket trying to recruit for the RSPB. she looked at me gone out when I siad "you wont get a penny out of me till you change your stance on Cormorants",,
                          PS: I actually like Birds I love to see them and feed them all the time in my garden.
                          Bike racing, match angling pensioner.

Comment

Working...
                          X