Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Rod & reel.....a very good place to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod & reel.....a very good place to start

Ok so here's the first of many...........

I spent half an hour in my local Angling Direct looking at rods and reels...oh dear! Where to start..?
    I will only be fishing small lakes and not looking at big carp so am I right in thinking a 13Ft match rod would be right? I like the Diawa Sweepfire and the Diawa Sweepfire SW2550 rear drag reel, would this make a good combo for a beginner?

Simon

Hi simon,definitely a good starting point. You can't really go wrong with daiwa. A lot of people would maybe go for a 12' to start with and if you're not intending to cast to the horizon,this is where I would start. Also have a look at some of the shakespeare mach 1 rods and garbolino,these are all good,and can be picked up for a good price.
    Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
    Alwight tweacle?

Comment

Thanks Paul. Would I be looking to use size 16 hooks and 4lb line or is that too heavy? also can anyone recommend a make of both hooks & line? How much line would a "standard" float fishing reel hold?

Thanks again

Comment

your line to reel ratio is about right,of course hopefully the reel you buy may a spare spool n which case have 3lb on one and perhap slightly heavier on the other,just remember to fill spools to within 3mil of spool lip
        OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Comment

I think a 13ft rod would be a bit too long for a beginner, you need to get a feel of the rod in your hands and may be clumsy with a 13ft rod, look for a nice 11ft rod such as the mach 1 or mach 2 range from shakespeare. For starters I would say 4lb maxima would be a good starting point on the reel as its a very strong abrasive resistant line. Also take a look at the Drennan red range reels, they are quality for their price and you cant go far wrong with Drennan, even if it is there bottom of the range gear. Hookwise i would be looking at a size 16 b911 or drennan silverfish pellet if the fish are a little smaller,
          Hope this helps.
          Connor
          [CENTER][B][SIZE=1]Connor Beresford[/SIZE][/B]
          [COLOR="red"][B]Match and Coarse Fishing for Beginners and Juniors [/B][/COLOR]
          [URL="www.castandhope.webs.com/"]Home - Cast and Hope Angling[/URL]
          [COLOR="red"][B]Sonubaits 'Fin Perfect' Feed Pellet Review![/B][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
          X