Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

How would you tackle this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you tackle this?

I have just been for a walk along a local water, it is actually a stream that is part of a huge resevior complex. The complex is very much dominated by the Carp lads that bivvy up on the 5 huge waters for days upon end with a view to catching the 40+lb Carp.

This attention on the carp has meant that the other species in there are growing huge on all of the bait going in and i have recently heard one guy complain about the 3 Bream that he recently caught at a whopping 12 / 12.5 / and 14lb. I think his words were "these Bream are a bloody nightmare!"

So this stream that i have been checking out feeds these huge waters and also holds some huge fish. The permit office has pictures of Pike over 30lbs, Chub that apparently AVERAGE 7lb, Barbel 13lb, Perch 3.5lb and today I have observed 5 Bream that looked at least 7lb. These fish are absolutely neglected and according to the baliff, are only fished for occasionally. I cannott believe it.

I'm planning on having a pop, probably for the Chub/Barbel/Bream but this lack of fishing means that its fairly wild. The stream is absolutely choc with weed (see picture attached) and the star spot under the road bridge (see picture) has a lot of plants that make it look unfishable to me.

There is a clear channel in the margins of the stream but all of the fish i spotted today were amongst the weed, I naturally feel that i should concentrate trying to get a bait in the areas I've seen fish.

Looking at the pictures, my questions would be:
    1) What your advice be in tackling this?
    2) Does this star swim even look as though it could be tackled?
    3) What baits would you use for the Chub/Barbel/Bream? Natural baits or pellet?
    4) Should i fish the clear margin channel or in the weed?

Many thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Looks completely unfishable to me mate...even if you got any sort of fish on it would be straight into the weeds and i would very much doubt that you could get any fish in that you catch there
    [CENTER][B][U]Fishing is a lifestyle, not a hobby !![/U][/B][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]:)[/CENTER]

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't attempt it. I would rather take my chances on the main waters among the carpers.
      If you really do want to give it a go, try feeding in a clear(ish) spot and fishing braid straight through to a forged hook. The braid will cut through the weed when a fish dives into it, but may also damage the fish, so that's why I would prefer not to.
      The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
      Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
      Check out:
      www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
      log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for your replies fellas. My feeling was that the bridge swim was unfishable because of the lillies to be honest. there are other swims that have no lillies but are still full of the softer weed that is shown in the other picture.

Do you think this might be more manageable?

Comment

spend some time raking an area then put some bait in over a a few evenings if this is allowed

Comment

Originally posted by jules-vega View Post
            spend some time raking an area then put some bait in over a a few evenings if this is allowed
            yeah i agree....if your really adamant on fishing in these areas then i would recomend doing this also.... pick a quiet not seen area so that when you do get it sorted then no other anglers will come and fish in your spot all the time as if it becomes good then it will be a hot peg and will be taken over constantly by other anglers... please update us on your findings as it would be intresting for some of us more intrested anglers... hope it goes well for you....good luck !!
            [CENTER][B][U]Fishing is a lifestyle, not a hobby !![/U][/B][/CENTER]
            [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
            [CENTER]:)[/CENTER]

Comment

Is that the coppermill stream in Walthamstow?
              [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
              [CENTER][B][U]Carlsburg Disgorgers[/U][/B][/CENTER]
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
              [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
              [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

Ha ha it is pal. I forgot you were fairly local JUSTINCASE. You ever fished it?

Comment

thought it looked familiar

Comment

I thought I recognised that bridge although im normally on the other side in the pub

the place is stuffed solid with fish I personally would forget that end and go to the end where the water enters from the resy from memory it was always a bit deeper so the weed might not be so bad

I havnt fished it for maybe 15 years or seen it and it was never as bad as that, thats just plain lazyness from the water companies part not maintaining that
                    [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

I'm more than happy to go for it but if either of you boys would be interested in giving it a shot let me know.

Paul, which end do you mean? the actual Mill end down at the bottom near the fly fishing ressy?

Comment

if u give it a go let me know how it goes

Comment

Will do. I'm going to see if they'll let me rake some of the area to be honest. not by the bridge but further up. not confident they will go for it but worth a try. as mentioned earlier its a disgrace that its been left to get like this

Comment

I only do matches guys

its better in the winter you get some huge roach and big bags of them, the end im talking about is upstream of the roasd bridge towards the big reservoir, you will see the water just pumps out of the bottom which creates some of the flow, its only about 200yds up
                            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                            [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

small rivers get neglected now but if u find the right areas and put the time and effort in u can catch some cracking fish good luck mate

Comment

Working...
                              X