Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Severn Bridgnorth area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Bridgnorth area

Have decided I'm gonna spend the day on the river on Sunday and have earmarked a couple of possible venues to work around the matches - Knowle Sands, Danery and Eardington Brook. Not having previously visited any of these I'd appreciate comments re. access and the general state of the pegs, as the info given in the BAA book is somewhat sketchy.

Also, has anyone fished Stan Lewis' waters around Bewdley? Again, comments welcome.

Ta.

hi bud
    i asked same question not long ago about bridgenorth
    and got a great reply from tunna

he p.m ed me this

hiya mate
    i have fished at Quatford, Danery, and brooke section a lot this season, and had good days on all (when river right LOL)
    dont ignore the danery last three pegs in fisrt meadow, and first 4 - 5 pegs in 2nd meadow, all hold barbel,& chub. if you fish maggot feeder with hemp, theres plenty of small chub,dace,roach,eels, and barbel, but you need 4 pints maggs 2 pts hemp.

take 3-4 pints 4mm feed pellets, and 8-10-12mm hard banded hook pellets. you will catch barbel / chub

if you fancy a walk at quatford, go towards end of meadow 3 look for the cottages on far side you will see a dinghy moored
    fish the 2 pegs with that opposite / just above you 1/2 way across, if you dont want go that far, go past fast water, and fish first pegs past it. baits as above. if river up / coloured take some meat.

hope it helps
    Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.

Homer J Simpson.

Comment

That's a big help me ol mukka. Thanks!

Comment

hi kev - clifton beat me to it. sent you pm
        clifton how did you do mate hope it helped
        Last edited by tunna; 21 August 2009, 05:08 PM.

Comment

The peg on Knowle Sands that wins quite a few club matches is the "Willows". Park at the top of the hill on Meadow 1. Its called Cardiac Hill (you'll find out why on the way back). The peg Im on about is in the first meadow. As you get to the bottom of the hill. Meadow 1 is up stream and the goes down to your right to the fence. If you walk straight towards the river, the walk down stream, look for the peg with the "Willows" on the far bank (obviously). Its a chuck across the river and you'll need to hold bottom (normally 50g kamasan BC feeder). Pellet on band/hair, 6,8 or 10mm's with 4mm in the feeder.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks all for the great advice. I'm now all 'tooled up' as per your comments and I'll let you know the outcome.

However ... since my original post a mate has got involved and it appears we're now fishing a private stretch somewhere around Buttonoak (best laid plans n all that!). Will definitely be reverting to my original plan in the near future tho. I love the river me

ATB

Comment

Originally posted by Kev M View Post
              Thanks all for the great advice. I'm now all 'tooled up' as per your comments and I'll let you know the outcome.

However ... since my original post a mate has got involved and it appears we're now fishing a private stretch somewhere around Buttonoak (best laid plans n all that!). Will definitely be reverting to my original plan in the near future tho. I love the river me

ATB
              The only stretch i know thats classed as private by the oak is the old BAA Seckley wood,if it is be prepared for a long walk.if its still got peg numbers you could do worse than pegs 9 and 10(if you can find em last time i fished it the path had been diverted away from them) fish 3/4 across with enough lead to hold bottom,meat,maggot,caster or pellet will do the job,those 2 pegs are probably the best on the stretch.Regards Peter.
              Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Well Kev, where did you end up and how did you get on.
                Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post
                  Well Kev, where did you end up and how did you get on.
                  Well, to be honest Pete, as it transpired I'd have sad it was closer to Arley than Buttonoak, but there y'go. There were around a dozen pegs spread either side of Victoria Bridge and I was on about the 3rd peg downstream of the bridge. It was a wonderful location and a joy to watch steam trains going past all day, all for a £4 day ticket. What wasn't so good was the actual fishing, however

Put out 2 rods feeding (at first) maggot then soft pellet. Stuck with 8mm and 12mm hard halibut on the hair all day and basically blanked. Out of desperation put out a waggler close in and played with the Dace. We spoke to almost everyone along the stretch and it seemed no-one was catching. Even the farmer said it hadn't been producing well of late. My mate blanked totally, his lad banked a 4lb barbel quite early on, then nothing else all day. We were all employing similar tactics by the way.

It's been said it's much the same all over on the middle Severn, but if that's true, why?

Comment

Hi there Kev,

I have just come back from 4 days fishing up on the River.

It was very hard for us, we just put it down to the lack of water and colour.

Friday we fished around the Bewdley area, two of us produced only three chub.

Saturday we fished Grimley Weir, fishing on the frist two pegs closest to the weir itself, fished very very hard indeed, between the two of us we ended up with a 2.5lb perch and one chublet, not many bites changing from maggot feeder / maggot on small hook & light lines to pellet feeder / 8mm's on the hook.

Sunday was a better day tho, as we fished on the wall under the weir at Holt Fleet, we fished maggot & hemp feeder all day - maggots on hook, changing to pellet feeder after about 6pm till dark.
                    between us we ended up with 15 chub (to around the 4lb mark), 1 big bream (6lb) 3 barbel (7.2lb 7.8lb & 8.2lb) + chublet / dace & perch.
                    Had a great day bites all day, barbel when the sun went off water!!!

Back home in Cornwall now, back to commercials

Comment

Hi Simon. Sounds like you had a really good day there. People seem to generalise quite a lot about the river and your experience just goes to show that the information one gets can sometimes be ill-informed hearsay.

I feel quite lucky to have the Severn right on my doorstep, but I'm coming to Cornwall next week to join the family who have started the party without me! Changing the subject just slightly, I've been told there's a commercial at Mawgan Porth that fishes very well indeed. Any ideas where this might be?

Comment

Severn Barbel success!

After an unsuccessful Sunday morning on the Avon it was either head for home or an alternative location. Choosing the latter option I was 36 miles away on the Severn at the Danery and all tackled up by 4.30. In the 2.5 hrs that followed I banked two barbel - 10lb and 8.5lb - both in excellent condition, lost one off the hook and had 2 line breaks on 6lb and 10lb hook lengths. Well chuffed! For those interested in such things I put out 2 rods using 12lb Daiwa sensor to 10lb 20" hooklength (eventually!). One with maggot feeder and another feeding soft pellet, size 10 hooks with 12mm halibut pellet banded to hair.

Comment

River is very low and clear a t the moment, we need a couple of days rain to wash through it, not sure where im heading to at the weekend yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X