Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Milemead fishery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milemead fishery

HI ALL, Off out to milemead fishery in tavistock for some short sesions just wanted too know any info at all on how the carp lake and match lake is fishing?? and baits, rigs and pegs should i be heading for? any help would be great... thanks and all the best!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]BAZZA LEE ILFRACOMBE MATCH GROUP[COLOR="Yellow"][/COLOR][/FONT]

Too busy to answer in depth now, drop me a PM so I don't forget and I'll give you a run down on Thursday...
    The Mahseer Trust visit us at www.mahseertrust.org
    Working for one of the World's iconic fish species and the rivers they live in.

Thinking of visiting the Westcountry?
    Check out:
    www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
    log on to www.v2vangling.co.uk

Comment

I haven't fished it myself for over a year, but I'm sure the same methods will apply.

Match Lake:
      Paste is a very consistent bait for carp, fished over plenty of micros. Try cupping in six good jaffas of dampened micros at the start and do the same again whenever skimmers move in.
      Fish about 6-9m out into, usually, about 5' of water. Depths vary quite a lot depending on the swim you're in. Good pegs for the paste are 5-9, 12, 13, 14 and 21.
      The carp tend to be around 2lb with an odd one going more like 4 and the chance of a fish pushing doubles although they are very few and far between.
      There are some small barbel in there as well now, they seem to be concentrated around peg 22.
      Silvers on caster in nets to 30lb. Feed pretty heavy, like 4 pints in five hours and you will get some stonking big roach and rudd with some fish pushing 2lb.
      Skimmers on worm over groundbait as well.

In the winter, double maggot over kinder-cupped micros works well for the carp.

Carp Lake:
      Fish the edge for the carp. Anywhere with cover, fishing big baits on the hook. You can handle them on the pole, but may want to use rod and line just in case you hook a real big lump. I think most of the carp will be around 8-12lb.
      Pellets for loads of skimmers and big roach on the pole. I've seen roach pushing 3lb on the pellets and seen pictures of roach over 3lb on boilies!

Check out:

Comment

Thanks mate thats great bit of info... im off there on sunday, hoping it should be a good one as its still warm. may even frame if im really lucky this year!! yer right!! haha..
        [FONT="Arial Black"]BAZZA LEE ILFRACOMBE MATCH GROUP[COLOR="Yellow"][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Didn't realise you were fishing the Stafford Moor/Milemead Winter League, I should never have given you that info, I'll have to kill you now! lol

Don't forget chopped worm, that put some of the better weights together last year. Fish a small piece of worm over pinches of fine chop and a few casters. Mainly skimmers and roach on that method.
          If using the maggot over micros method, you will probably do better using white maggots, cupping in three or four maggots with a pinch of dampened micros every five minutes.

Might be better to fish that long and try chopped worm a bit closer? Say pellets at 11m and chop at 7m

Check out:

Comment

Yer its the second year i fished it now, not very succesfull last year fishing for summerlands tackle. fished the first one and drew the carp lake right up the end, only managed 19lb 2oz, top weight for our team but hope to improve. Great advice steve, was thinking on the worm/caster approch for the next one next month...
            May need some more advice later on in the year on stafford in the winter as i ant got a clue, gona have to do a couple of them fish and chip wens.

Comment

Working...
            X