Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Barston Match Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barston Match Lake

Hi Guys,

Ive got a match at Barston this Saturday. I've never fished it before and was wondering what its like and the best methods to use ?

Thanks.
    here carpy carpy carpy

Fish Kill ???

Well what can I say. Before we got there the rumour around most birmingham tackle shops is that Barston has had a fish kill ??? Whether this is true or not i dont know but one thing was sure we must of seen Half a dozen dead carp on the match lake and the ones that come to the surface were covered in horrible fungus.

The match itself was tough very tough the winner had 19lb. 6 carp all on cat meat next weight was 12lb and so on 3 people didnt weigh and out of 20 blokes 10 didnt get over 5lb. Its was one of those matchs if you didnt have a carp you aint gettin no where. It was surprising how many people had 2 carp and they were the only bites of the day.

Well I was full of optimism before I got there after hearing of these good weights unfortunately they just never showed
    here carpy carpy carpy

Comment

I have been pointed to this tread by Carpmagic, and Brian has just signed me in so i can respond, thanks lads.

Smudger. Sorry you had a bad day. I have lost some fish due to a thunder storm around the 5th of June. The fish that died, did so very quick due to lack of oxegen, and they have sunk, only to pop up over the last few weeks.
      I have an airator coming on Tuesday so it wont happen again.
      I am not the only one to have problems this month, i know of 2 other local fisheries that have had the same problem. Fortunaly it is not a water quility problem, and is not a disease of any kind.
      It is not somthing you want customers to see, as this is how rumours get round real quick. The big lake is fine, and has been won today with 88lb, with 78lb second.
      I am sure the match pool will be back to normal in the near future.
      Cheers, Nigel.

Comment

Hi Nigel welcome to the site, sorry to hear of the fish deaths, but glad you were able to put the story straight, a cheap and easy fix to areate is to use a submersible pump and attach a fountain type spray head, we have used this on our main pool at Elmdon, this has kept fish deaths to a minimum over the last couple of years,.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Hi Nigel,

We wasn't too sure if the rumours were true which is why our club captain did say not to believe it as he was sure you would of advised him prehand.

It is crazy how quick rumours get around and this is why I only said it was a rumour we heard. I hope I didnt offend you in any way I posted as I know the forum can be very helpful and wondered if anybody could shed any light on the situation.

The match itself was tough but I think everybody has been stuggling recently with this crazy weather weve been having. All the fish we did catch were very healthy and showed no signs of illness, in fact most people were very surprised just how hard the fish fought for their size.

It was one of those days though the sun was blaring and like I said you really needed the carp to show just to get in the frame I suppose when people are catching them either side of you like most people you just got to sit and wait if they dont show they dont show.

Everybody had a good day though on the whole and weather permitting we know that the lake can produce some really good weights which is why I think we will try and fish it again when this terrible weather has ceased if it ever does
          here carpy carpy carpy

Comment

Didnt realise that thunder storms caused such a big drop in oxygen levels Nigel.... nice to see you on the site by the way!

Is that a particular danger of having a snake type lake as it didnt effect your main lake is it a surface area issue?
            Simon Young
            Admin
            Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
            web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

The big lake at Barston has a a lot of movement in fact it tows at times like no other water I know, you could run a stick through it at times. Also Nigel has a big areator on the big lake which will help oxygen levels.
              This is worth a read
              DESPITE HIGH WATER LEVELS, EAST TEXAS PONDS OXYGEN DEPLETED

Comment

Im on there this Sunday, will post what happens

Comment

Ridgeacre,

Take some cat meat this proved to be the winner on our day peg 24 with all the reeds
                  here carpy carpy carpy

Comment

Originally posted by Smudger
                    Ridgeacre,

Take some cat meat this proved to be the winner on our day peg 24 with all the reeds
                    And a crash helmet as thats were the stray golf balls will land

Comment

Originally posted by Brian G
                      And a crash helmet as thats were the stray golf balls will land

I think pegg 22 got blitzed when we was there he had 5 in his hand after the match, one hit a fence behind him and pinged onto the island and another in the pool itself
                      here carpy carpy carpy

Comment

Our match on Sunday was called of owing to the place being flooded

Comment

Working...
                        X