Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Barston Big Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barston Big Lake

Hello All,
    Anyone know how the big lake is fishing. Skimmers showing in any numbers??
    Method feeder catching too.???

regs
    Dave
    It was Terry Mooney who always told me to never lie and tell the truth about how much I've caught and what on.

Skimmers are feeding well, but the carp are not so much. A few carp have been lost, as has all over the Midlands.
    I have seen a few carp on the bank today, inc a couple of doubles. I would aim at a skimmer approach, either pole or open ended feeder, and take a carp as a bonus.

I have heared about a KHV outbreak in the Midlands, its not here, not yet anyway, lets just hope it doesent, but at this moment, i know how all those farmers felt when the foot and mouth outbreak was anounced!

Comment

Ive heard that most of the fish out of the lake, are now swimming very happily up and down the river Blythe.

Roll on the next flood, so that they can come back. Ha Ha
      Team Mosella Black Country

Sex is like Poker.
      If you havnt got a good partner.
      Then you better have a good Hand

Comment

just ask tommy "van den eynde". hes never lost a match on here! he;ll put you rite boris.

Comment

info for pops lads barston fish kill

Info for the pops lads.Barston has suffered a major fish kill mainly the carp i have informed graham and he has tried his best to book another venue after speaking to the guys at barston but because of the coach being booked and the late notice he cannot get a suitable change of venue. so it looks like a silver fish match with maybe the odd carp if your lucky. just thought i would let you know in advance so you can alter your bait plans etc.tight lines Ray
          TRUSTED POPLARS AC ANGLER WHO TELL'S NO LIES.

Comment

Nigel the owner and a TA member says that there have been some fatalities. Be sure you are accurate before broadcasting to 2000 members!!!
            John - Kingfisher
            Talk Angling Senior Member
            Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

sorry if the info was wrong but it was aimed only at the pops lads to have chance to alter bait requirements ect . it was graham our match sec who had confirmed this fish kill and possible venue change. we are still going as now weve been inform only a small amount of carp have beeen lost and theres still the silver fish to go for . sorry again if my info was wrong i was only trying to help the lads out. i wont bother next time/ tight lines Ray

Comment

it would be nice of nigel to let match secs know well in advance not us find out two days before the match!

Comment

Ten days ago a match was won at Barston with a high 90lb weight of carp and the same match had silver fish weights of around 45lb, if and only if there has been a fish kill it has happened in the last few days, which certainly has not hit the grapevine in Birmingham a few short miles from the venue. Now what is doing the rounds in the Midlands is KVH which has closed one fishery or part of it at least, so I would suggest that you lads make sure your nets are dried preferably in sunlight after your match, and please note that I have NOT said Barston has KVH, hopefully Nigel will respond to your posts about his fishery and advise on the extent of any fish deaths he may have had.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

The official word from Nigel is that he has lost maybe upto 200 carp out of a stocking of 13000, to a cause as yet unkown, he is of course worried that it may get worse, I would be if it were my fishery, but its not unkown to loose a few and for the fishery to totally recover.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Bri.
                      I have just weighed in a 35 peg match, won with 67.8lb of carp. Plenty of carp and skimmers caught today. (biggest carp went 14.13lb)
                      I am being as open as possable about this, which gives clubs a chance of moving there match. I am a match angler, and want to catch fish on a weekend, so i know how it feels when it fishes poor.
                      I know othere fisheries that are arriving at dawn to pick up the dead fish, and hide it from the public/anglers, so as not to lose customers.
                      I am posting this on a public forum, and the news is as up to date as possable, i cant tell you what the situation will be in a weeks time, how could anyone moan that i have only given them 2 days notice!

It is not a 'major fish kill', i have lost some fish, and i have been open about it, i have lost some carp, there were less today than yesterday, i dont know about tomorrow, i just hope it is over the worst. If it is, i have got off light, it could get worse yet.

Wait and see, and keep fingers crossed!

Comment

Thanks for replying Nigel can you give us an up date tomorrow please it's better to hear it from the horses mouth as they say than to hear it 100 miles away.we would of been none the wiser if we have listen to rumours and made contact with you but we are over 100 miles away and it's a long way to go to struggle for bites.lets' hope you are over the worst and we have a great match on Sunday only time will tell. thanks again for putting the record straight.

Comment

Nigel what baits are they using at present? Are they going for silvers and then catching carp or are they going all all out for carp?

Comment

Hope things buck up Nigel. Could it be the influx of fertilizers from the golf greens that were washed in during the floods? If so with the size of your main pool things are sure to get better !! Best of luck mate!!
                            John - Kingfisher
                            Talk Angling Senior Member
                            Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

Todays winner fished the method, and fished punched meat on the hair, small boilys work well too.
                              I would fish 2 red maggots, and it will catch skimmers too. I told this mornings match to aim for skimmers, and take carp as a bonus, but some just fished for carp. Plenty of skimmers caught on open ended feeder, and pole too, both on small pellets, and worm and caster.
                              Lots of weights between 10 and 30 lb today. This isent a big weight venue anyway, more of a natural venue.
                              I will let you know if there are any changes tomorrw.

Comment

Working...
                              X