Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Railway Pond york

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railway Pond york

Anybody know how this venue is doing,have not fished it in years and it may be called 'The friends of Mayfield Grove pond' now.
    Regards Mike

is that the one at poppleton?

Comment

Railway Pond

No mate this one is situated at the bottom of Mayfield Grove off Tadcaster Road in Dringhouses York.....just the first left after the Cross Keys Pub if your heading towards York City center.

Comment

sorry mike not fished that one...

Comment

Have fished the railway a couple of times in the last month. The carp are cruising the top but always seem to be shy, I've only seen one little one come out of ther but you can see there's some sizes in there. The bream are a bit more playful, had a couple average 3-3.5lb. Folk are saying Chapman's is fishing better than railway!!

Am going to try Rawcliffe Pond in the next week as been told it fishes excellent. Have you fished there at all Mike, if so any good?

Comment

I know about 15 years ago this was a popular spot and carp up to about 27lb were pulled out on a regular basis,and it was a struggle to get a peg at the secluded end of the pond at the weekend.However it seems like a bit of a forgotten spot now.

Have never fished Rawcliffe Pond Spiz,hope its a productive day for you.

Comment

yes it does seem to be a popular place with folk fighting for the corner pegs but I think some new strategies need to be tried to try to get them feeding again. I've tried alsorts from method feeding to hair rigs & bolt rigs, fishid at various depths but can never seemto get past the bream!!

Didn't go up to Rawcliffe, I went Piking behind the RSPCA which always seems to do better when the rivers up a bit. I missed my only run whilst I had my flask in one hand & cup in the other!!! I lost a cracker a couple of months back when we had the floods, fished mackerel off the top of the iron horse & it took straight away, pulled me 25 30 yards downstream before breaking my 11lb line, so powerful I couldn't get any line on the reel!! Have been chasing it ever since but if you fish down there when the river down you lose a fortune in lost tracers, could do with a good dredge, I caught a stereo type juke box last year!! My best so far is a 6.5lb jack off a devils own spinner. One day I'll get the biggie!!

Comment

I know behind the RSPCA as i live just 5 minutes away.Fished down there last year and your not wrong about the snags.I lost count how many times i broke off.
                Im planning on getting some gear that can handle a good size pike and will give that spot a go for your monster.However if i catch it im not sure i will want to land it as never caught a pike befor so not too savy on how to handle them..

Will let you know how i get on..

Comment

Yeh went I just 5 minutes off too, went there for a couple of hours last night as river right up, stood on top of the iron horse & dropped in mackerel, was quiet until I reeled in for another cast & there was a mass splash as one tried to grab it, then like a foll I carried on reeling in thinking it had missed but it had hold of it but not enough to take the treble. It was only a jack by the width of the jaw marks. Was a blank after that. Will check the levels & maybe go up wednesday lunch n have another go

Comment

Forgot to offer tips on landing em, best way is to chin em, some recommend using a glove but this reduces sensitivity. If you look under the pike's belly you'll see where the two gills almost meet at the top, use index & middle finger & place half way in one gill & lift out. Land the fish first & chin from there ubtil you're confident of chinning straight from the water but be careful the pike doesn't thrash the treble out & it gets caught in your net.

This is only a basic tip, google Picture of pike & you can find pics of folk chinning them out & better instructions of how to do it.

Good luck anyway, seen as we live so close we might meet on the bank oneday?

Comment

The croc has landed!!

Originally posted by MikeYork View Post
                      I know behind the RSPCA as i live just 5 minutes away.Fished down there last year and your not wrong about the snags.I lost count how many times i broke off.
                      Im planning on getting some gear that can handle a good size pike and will give that spot a go for your monster.However if i catch it im not sure i will want to land it as never caught a pike befor so not too savy on how to handle them..

Wahey!! I got it, after a couple of hours of wobbling sardine I switched to rolling it dead bait on the bottom & bagged a 14lb 7oz croc. Don't know how to upload image straight to here but send me an email & I'll foward you some pics!! Tim

Comment

Originally posted by MikeYork View Post

[email protected]

Comment

Wahey, after wobbling sardine for a couple of hours then rolling it dead bait on the bottom I finally got it, a 14lb 7oz croc. Don't know how to upload straight to here so email me & I'll send you some pics. [email protected] Tim

Comment

I'm getting a bit lost here, have put in 2 replies!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X