Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Stoke Works- Birmingham/Worcestershire canal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stoke Works- Birmingham/Worcestershire canal

Got a match here in 2 weeks time. Can anybody tell me what I should be fishing for? Are there any big bream here worth setting out my stall for?Is it a squatt and pinkie job. Any info. appreciated!!
    John - Kingfisher
    Talk Angling Senior Member
    Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

whenever i've fished along there i've normally caught nice roach on caster across i know that some use B+J if you allow it in your matches which'll keep you catching there are few bream along there but if been unlucky in catching em had a few skimmers but never a slab
    i normally take worm, caster and big maggot

Comment

Sounds like you will have to feed them pinkies up a bit John , if there are caster roach then a bit of hemp on one line would not come amiss.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Steve /Brian! B&J was banned after I won a match with it at Stewponey!!
        Last edited by Kingfisher; 3 October 2006, 03:43 PM.
        John - Kingfisher

Comment

It depends on which section you are on....

Clubs usually book the section by the triangle,

the 4 pegs to the left between the bridge and the lock are roach pegs and usually squatt over groundbait will get a few bites,exception being the one on the trees closest to the bridge which holds a lot of big roach on caster tight over.

to the right i would not put a peg in until you get to the Willow,the pegs on the brambles( probably only get 4 pegs) between the willow and the cables are usually solid with caster and chopped worm fish,sometimes bream sometimes roach and perch.

after the cables the first 2/3 pegs are the same, but after that you usually need a feature to catch large numbers of caster fish across but you can still catch on it down the track.

once you get to the narrows after the pub you usually struggle to catch bonus fish but there are enough small fish to keep it interesting.

Dont batter any of your caster lines or you will kill them,just keep catching the odd fish until the last hour whilst resting your main squatt lines.

On all pegs there are usually lots of small fish to be caught on the inside.

And dont forget your hemp line......

hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Comment

Thanks Woodhouse.Time to digest. We've been told to park on the central reservation over the bridge. Is this by your "triangle"?
            John - Kingfisher

Comment

possibly.....there is a big grass island in the middle of the junction in the shape of a triangle.

Comment

think your on right place there last time i went tho some barsteward parked right by enterance an was stuck there for 20mins waitin ggrrrrrrrrrrr i aint sure but i think the willow to the right has since been removed (but dont quote me on that) good features to the left like "woodhouse" said i've caught on choppie there too good luck an let us know how it goes cause i start venturing over that way come autumn/winter time not too many boats YIPPEE

Comment

Don't forget the daddy ruffe.
                  http://www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk/

Comment

Andy somewhere in this vicinity the only time I've been there before the water was gin clear and shallow. One could see across to the far bank.At the weigh in our venerable Match Secretary (now87) had abandoned the idea of placing his catch in his keepnet. He proudly sought the weight of the 100+ daddy ruffe in a bait box!!
                    John - Kingfisher

Comment

Woodhouse.All pegs were to the left of the bridge! Both guys either side of me were broken by big fish,probably carp! Those in the frame were the only ones who caught over 2lb. With 1.14oz I beat the guy on one side of me and was beaten by the guy on the other side.I didn't get one bonus fish just gudgeon,perch and ruffe.Nobody in the pound I was pegged got a roach.There were more boats than in Henley regatta!!
                      John - Kingfisher

Comment

Woodhouse.All pegs were to the left of the bridge! Both guys either side of me were broken by big fish,probably carp! Those in the frame were the only ones who caught over 2lb. With 1.14oz I beat the guy on one side of me and was beaten by the guy on the other side who had a perch about1.5 lbs.I didn't get one bonus fish just gudgeon,perch and ruffe.Nobody in the pound I was pegged got a roach.There were more boats than in Henley regatta!!
                        John - Kingfisher

Comment

So they put all the pegs in the short pounds?

Comment

Yes there were only 15 of us, but I had quite walk to a fairly wide pound! Like to fish it again though!!
                            John - Kingfisher

Comment

The pegs you fished are good for small fish in the winter for small fish,odd bream in the bottom pound,but are crap when you are still having a lot of boat traffic because they dont stop still all day..

You would have been better going to the right,there are more bonus fish.

Comment

Working...
                              X