Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

River cole????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River cole????

does anyone know if theres anything left in the river cole or has pollution beat it?
    and if so what stretches are hotspots for fish

~RoachMaster

There were fish in it a couple of years back in Hall Green, I can vouch for that. It's a tiny stream though in Hall Green, not really for fishing. More suitable further downstream.

In fact, there were trout in it ! In Birmingham, can you believe. Quite true, stocked a while back by the EA and survived.
    Whitnash Royals A.C.

Comment

Try the back of Kingshurst Lake, there are definitely chub and perch in that stretch, a roving approach is probably the best, its not very deep in general terms but does have a few deeper swims, that hold fish, feed a few maggots and trot a stick float down the far bank, it should produce a few bites.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Coleshill from the bridge at the bottom of the hill, all the way past the back of the industrial estate down station road, chub, roach etc

Comment

iv'e caught gudgeon, dace, chub, perch and roach from a couple of deep holes near stechford.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian G View Post
            Try the back of Kingshurst Lake, there are definitely chub and perch in that stretch, a roving approach is probably the best, its not very deep in general terms but does have a few deeper swims, that hold fish, feed a few maggots and trot a stick float down the far bank, it should produce a few bites.
            What features in the water should i look for for chub and do you know much about the lake?

Comment

Originally posted by RoachMaster View Post
              What features in the water should i look for for chub and do you know much about the lake?
              In all honesty the features are obvious because its very shallow in many parts, it really is a case of finding the deeper water, and that means maybe a foot or two of water, the features might be the odd shopping trolley lol. Kingshurst Lake has or had a good head of roach, good enough to be featured in Angling Times, I dont know if it has been attacked by cormorants, but the last reports was of bream being caught, given that is only a short distance from Shard End lake I am sure theres been some fish movement between the two. I have had couple of non fishing visits in the last 12 months but not seen anyone fishing

Comment

I went the lake last when i wss feozen and didnt catch nothing (hardly surprising) and ill probably walk the river with a pole at first and plumb the depth all over also out of bread corn worm strawberry boilies and ground bait whats gonna work best

Comment

RoachMaster, you are not looking for specimen sized fish and I would suspect that any fish will be ounces more than pounds, without doubt maggots will be your best bait, I cant see a need for groundbait, nor boilies. Worms might snare the odd fish. However maggots will be number one bait just loose feed them and run a stick float through the swim, give it 20 minutes or so if nothing just move on. In other words leave the pole at home take no more gear with you than a landing net, a few hooks and a tub of shot and a disgorger. Look out for any obvious signs of the river being fished, whilst you are not going to find tailor made pegs, an area of flattened/worn grass could mean that its worth a few trots through.

Comment

Working...
                  X