Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Info wanted-decoy lakes wittlesey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info wanted-decoy lakes wittlesey

Hi im fishing a 5 day festival on the decoy lakes complex at the end of this month. Looking for any up to date information on this venue. I. E. Baits methods etc
    Any info would be welcome.
    Tony

Which lake?

Comment

Decoy

Originally posted by Steve Roberts View Post
      Which lake?
      Hi steve we are down there for the week so could be drawn on any of the match lakes. Bestie islands oaks etc. i have fished there but 15 years ago. Whats the policy on baits ie groundbait , fishery pellets etc
      Tony

Comment

GB through a feeder only. Cant loosefeed it. You can use your own pellets or their pellets. They sell all you need. Theres so much to say about every lake that it would take an essay. For 5 days down decoy i would be taking 20 pints of maggots and be expecting to need another 20-30 depending on if i had used them everyday. These are exclusively for down the edges and only for one edge. You need to feed plenty. The other edge would be corn or meat. Then id be taking a tray of luncheon meat and a tray of corn. You can buy that at decoy so if run out not a problem. Id also have some hemp and some dog meat. Generally use chunks in gravy. I dont tend to use pellets but they do work.

The lakes are all different and even different pegs are different. The strip lakes are different depending on how many of you are on them. Each one has slightly different mix of fish too. Elm and cedar have lots of smaller fish. Maggot is killer bait on here. Also use corn or meat for carp. Maggot will catch lots of barbel and F1s and odd carp. If not pegged tight these lakes do 200lb weights often. Oak is larger carp. They go to about 15lb. Plenty of doubles. There are a lot less barbel in here so i dont tend to use the maggot unless shallow fishing where use bunches on the hook. Yew is also big carp but there are more barbel in here so i use a few maggots. On all of the strip lakes i fish both edges hopefully finding 2ft of water but it varies a lot. I also fish short 4 and topkit in front usually with corn. Maybe meat.

Beastie is a lovely lake. Doesnt matter if every peg taken it will still fish well. Peg 26 is a flier. It has a small island which is solid. Seen numerous 200+ weights from there. On most pegs i will fish dogmeat and hemp down one side and maggots the other. There are loads of barbel in here so dont use the maggot too close to any tree roots or they will find them. Try the dogmeat after half hour to maybe pinch a big carp but generally this line is for last hour when the big lads turn up. Ive had them to 17lb this year and they go bigger. Pegs off front of spit are shallower in front so maybe use the meat at 2 metres instead. Also feed a 5 metre line with meat. This catches all sorts but lots of skimmers. Shallow works and on some days is unbeatable but not for me. Also the lead and meat works pinging 2 cubes of meat to 20 metres all day and dropping the lead over the top.

6 islands has loads of carp but depends how many are on as to how it fishes. If too many it either becomes very hard or they liner you to death. Ive only fished it 3 times so im no expert. Meat works, paste works, pellets work. Peg 11 has loads of barbel on it. Its 16m to the island though! Maggot for them.

Horseshoe every peg is slightly different. Pretty much id fish it short and down the edges. Pegs at the top end sometimes a feeder works. Lots of carp and F1s. Not sure about barbel as i havent been on it for years.

Willows is my least favorite lake at decoy but still has plenty of fish. It is a very intricate lake and each peg is bit different from the last. There are F1s carp and barbel. The barbel can be quite large. You need to set up the feeder if you have a chuck to the island. Also a shallow pellet rig. Or worms if thats your thing. I usually start on the feeder and corn whilst feeding the edges. Again maggot one way meat/corn the other.

Comment

Decoy

Originally posted by Steve Roberts View Post
          GB through a feeder only. Cant loosefeed it. You can use your own pellets or their pellets. They sell all you need. Theres so much to say about every lake that it would take an essay. For 5 days down decoy i would be taking 20 pints of maggots and be expecting to need another 20-30 depending on if i had used them everyday. These are exclusively for down the edges and only for one edge. You need to feed plenty. The other edge would be corn or meat. Then id be taking a tray of luncheon meat and a tray of corn. You can buy that at decoy so if run out not a problem. Id also have some hemp and some dog meat. Generally use chunks in gravy. I dont tend to use pellets but they do work.

The lakes are all different and even different pegs are different. The strip lakes are different depending on how many of you are on them. Each one has slightly different mix of fish too. Elm and cedar have lots of smaller fish. Maggot is killer bait on here. Also use corn or meat for carp. Maggot will catch lots of barbel and F1s and odd carp. If not pegged tight these lakes do 200lb weights often. Oak is larger carp. They go to about 15lb. Plenty of doubles. There are a lot less barbel in here so i dont tend to use the maggot unless shallow fishing where use bunches on the hook. Yew is also big carp but there are more barbel in here so i use a few maggots. On all of the strip lakes i fish both edges hopefully finding 2ft of water but it varies a lot. I also fish short 4 and topkit in front usually with corn. Maybe meat.

Beastie is a lovely lake. Doesnt matter if every peg taken it will still fish well. Peg 26 is a flier. It has a small island which is solid. Seen numerous 200+ weights from there. On most pegs i will fish dogmeat and hemp down one side and maggots the other. There are loads of barbel in here so dont use the maggot too close to any tree roots or they will find them. Try the dogmeat after half hour to maybe pinch a big carp but generally this line is for last hour when the big lads turn up. Ive had them to 17lb this year and they go bigger. Pegs off front of spit are shallower in front so maybe use the meat at 2 metres instead. Also feed a 5 metre line with meat. This catches all sorts but lots of skimmers. Shallow works and on some days is unbeatable but not for me. Also the lead and meat works pinging 2 cubes of meat to 20 metres all day and dropping the lead over the top.

6 islands has loads of carp but depends how many are on as to how it fishes. If too many it either becomes very hard or they liner you to death. Ive only fished it 3 times so im no expert. Meat works, paste works, pellets work. Peg 11 has loads of barbel on it. Its 16m to the island though! Maggot for them.

Horseshoe every peg is slightly different. Pretty much id fish it short and down the edges. Pegs at the top end sometimes a feeder works. Lots of carp and F1s. Not sure about barbel as i havent been on it for years.

Willows is my least favorite lake at decoy but still has plenty of fish. It is a very intricate lake and each peg is bit different from the last. There are F1s carp and barbel. The barbel can be quite large. You need to set up the feeder if you have a chuck to the island. Also a shallow pellet rig. Or worms if thats your thing. I usually start on the feeder and corn whilst feeding the edges. Again maggot one way meat/corn the other.
          Great thanks for the info steve im shure it will come in handy. Im downther. From the 29 th of this month. Ill let you know how i got on
          Tony

Comment

Working...
          X