Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Rods for a long chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rods for a long chuck

Right lads I'm in a dilemma, been fishing barston a bit lately, need a rod stiff enough for a long chuck but soft enough for skimmers and f1s,

Been using my 11'6 carbon active power carp and I can get the distance and it is soft enough, but because it's so soft, when the rod is trying to recover from a big cast, the line sometimes wraps around one if the eyes, you know what comes next!!

Any ideas on what rods are up to the job without paying tournament money?

i just got an old team daiwa 11/13 good playing action for skimmers & well up to long chucks paid £40ish -baargain!! if u see one come grab it before i do ......also beastmaster heavy 12/14 will do what youre after & some!! the beastmasters have got a very forgiving action for a heavy feeder or a 12ft suveran ( one of the older models with hand laid cross weave).any of these should do you nicely.

p.s think there s 3 11/13 awl s on the bay at minute - stillwater version would be right up your street!
    Last edited by lilpinkie; 31 March 2014, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Aerocast 12ft medium feeder

Comment

Nah matrix horizon buddy I fished Barston last year with a 12-13ft tourney pro couldn't get where I wanted to! £150 quid though paired with a 4000 tdr got the distance few of the lads use shimano barbel rods though 12ft hyper loop i think and they hit the boards on 18th green. These guys fish it weekly
        " if a dogs born in a stable, does it make it a horse? Aye up ducky!!

Comment

Daiwa connoisseur Z 11/13 extra power,sometimes odd one on ebay

Comment

I fish Barston, I use a 13,8 dutch master 6lb power line will chuck a 45g method in anyone's peg.

Comment

I saw them yesterday with 13ft tourney pro distance rods and ultegra/basia reels and a few had Dutch master rods aswell, just can't bring myself to spend that money on a rod for one weekend :/, I would use it again at some point but rarely fish earlswood/barston/packington/meadowlands etc, a guy chucked 10 yds past me yesterday and beat me by 8oz, if I had that extra chuck I'd have beat him

Comment

was you on 15/17 ish

Comment

18 I was, the only tree above any peg and I drew it

Comment

Yeah, dont get me started on what needs doing at Barston Lakes!!!! It was me, the good looking one, who walked up with about an hour to go.

Comment

Oh was it!! I think the venues great, lots of people slag it off but it offers a different style of fishing, don't know what you're going to hook next, a 2lb skimmer or a double figure carp! Anyways back onto the rods lads anyone got any more input?

Comment

Think of the fish your chucking over with them long chucks

Comment

You might be right there mate but the carp anglers on there only chuck their bait in one place, as far as they can..

Comment

Isnt that the carp anglers mentality? chuck your rod as far as you can, why dont they just go and sit on the other side? Seriously though theres loads of rods out there that will do the job. You need to pair it up with a very good reel suited to distance work and have the right line. I suspect your line was kinking up thats why it was wrapping round the eye. Try Diawa infinity line it will suit you to the ground for distance casting

Comment

Just ordered some tournament ST, they reckon that's the nuts, thinner than everything else for the breaking strain

Comment

Working...
                              X