Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Handmade Pole Floats - Various sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handmade Pole Floats - Various sets

Hi all,

I have started making some floats again and I have a few pre-made 'sets' for sale which are shown in the photographs below.

They are all made using 1.5mm hollow fluorescent bristles with a 1mm glass stem bonded into it then a high grade balsa body glued to the bristle. They are finished with a spring type eye, three coats of sealer and then painted.

These are far superior to shop bought mass produced items and will easily outlast them. I am selling these currently on ebay but I will offer these to TA members POST FREE at a price of £9.99 or £8.50 for SET 9 (only 5 floats)

Please PM me first quoting the set that you're interested in buying and I will give you my email address for the Pay Pal payment. Many thanks for looking. Graham
    Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

how far do the stems go into the bristle?

Comment

Look good Like the mat finish on them!

Free to the continent as well?
      Last edited by andrew65; 13 November 2010, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FORDY-1 View Post
        how far do the stems go into the bristle?
        The bristle goes virtually to the bottom of the balsa body and the stem goes in to the bristle so that it is a couple of millimetres above the top of the body. So in other words, the length of the body plus a bit more. Unless you use pliers and completely destroy them, you will struggle to pull them apart!

Hope this helps. Graham
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by andrew65 View Post
          Look good Like the mat finish on them!

Free to the continent as well?
          I wouldn't be able to send them post free to the continent as it would be too costly even for a small lightweight item. Sorry. The only thing I could do would be to keep the cost low if you were to buy a few sets. Maybe that would help. Graham
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

is the top end of the stem rounded or slighty pointed,ive had loads of pointed 1s that the tips snap on

Comment

Originally posted by FORDY-1 View Post
              is the top end of the stem rounded or slighty pointed,ive had loads of pointed 1s that the tips snap on
              I'm not quite sure what you mean and I don't mean to be funny but the stem is the bottom bit which goes through the body and into the bristle and the bristle is the top (red) bit. Do you mean the bristle? if so then they have a rounded top, but either way I can't quite imagine how you would snap the tip off the bristle unless you were really heavy handed with your floats!
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

They look mint. I had a bash myself this year and the thing I found the hardest was getting a good finish. I got the floats to fish well and do what exactly I want, but couldn't quite get a perfect finish like that. Bit more to it than dipping bits of wood in paint!

If you don't mind me asking, what sanding sealer do you use?
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by luke carpstalker View Post
                  They look mint. I had a bash myself this year and the thing I found the hardest was getting a good finish. I got the floats to fish well and do what exactly I want, but couldn't quite get a perfect finish like that. Bit more to it than dipping bits of wood in paint!

If you don't mind me asking, what sanding sealer do you use?
                  The sanding sealer is actually the key to the good finish as it fills all the grain in the balsa and I then sand it with very fine wet and dry paper. The second and third coats don't then need any sanding and the paint then goes on to a perfectly smooth base for a really nice finish. The sanding sealer I use is made by J. PERKINS and is available in most good model shops. I recently bought a 250ml tin for £5.50 and this will last me for several hundred floats. Most good model shops should sell this but particularly the ones that do a lot of stuff for aeroplane models as they use a lot of balsa wood. The sealer looks like honey when it's in the tin but it doesn't discolour the balsa it actually brings out the grain nicely if you want to keep them natural. Just use a clear nail varnish over the sealer if you want to keep them natural finish.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I can vouch for the quality,chaps-i had a few sets off graham last year and they're very strong and top quality. ;-)
                    Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
                    Alwight tweacle?

Comment

bttt
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Cheers for that Graham, I'll look out for some, for batch #2 !
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Set 7 (second from left) now sold to 'piperpilot' pending payment as usual.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

hello maver its alf here how many sets u got bud im looking at buying 100+ pole floats u got enough for that many let me know alf

Comment

Originally posted by adrianluvsfishing View Post
                              hello maver its alf here how many sets u got bud im looking at buying 100+ pole floats u got enough for that many let me know alf
                              Hi Alf, I've sent you a PM
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X