Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Upper tamar lake matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper tamar lake matches

Hi all,

I have been asked to post this on behalf of BEN SMEETH of South West Lakes Trust.

UPPER TAMAR LAKES - COARSE FISHING "OPEN" MATCH DATES.

I will be holding three matches (50 pegs available each match)

23rd March
    27th July
    26th October

£20 entry,
    £13 of which goes into prize funds.

Paying Out Top three on the day plus first and second in each section (section by default)

Breakfast is available for £6.50 which includes a tea or coffee – when booking anglers must say if they want breakfast or not!

Pegs are on Cornwall and Devon bank probably split 30 devon and 20 Cornwall

Payout depending on numbers

We will transport tackle to swims via trailer if anglers don’t want to carry or push gear around

FISHING 10am-3.30 with draw at 8am

To book in contact BEN SMEETH - SOUTH WEST LAKES TRUST.

Hi Si - What's the predominant species in these lakes, Silvers or Carp?. what's the general method of fishing that has best results.
    I'm in the area for the first match but not sure I can commit to fishing right now - will have telephone number with me to call Ben if circumstances change.

Comment

Hi A.B,

Upper Tamar is a 40+ acre reservoir...... Bream on the Tip & Silvers on the Whip.

Proper old school fishing for the Bream, open end feeder, target board, 50% sweet / 50% fishmeal groundbait..... putting caster, chopped worm & a little micro through feeder. Not huge casts, just need to be straight more than long...... but you MUST keep bait going in!!

Bream are not in every peg but you will catch Skimmers & Silvers on the tip if you fine down a little.

Whip line..... "SHORT"can be devastating .... as close as you can really, most times its a fish a chuck 1oz - 5oz on the whip line... i take 2mtr & 3mtr whips with me. Feeding small balls of G.Bait & plenty of loose feed..... you can need 100+ fish an hour some days!!

It's a venue that requires you to sit out in water (platform & waders job) especially if you want to fish the whip.... not so important if you are fishing the tip.

No real need for the "pole" you will catch the same sized fish at 16mtrs that you will at 2mtrs to hand!!!

If you are interested please p.m me and i will send you my Tel No if you require more info.

Below was around three years back, Bream were caught at 20 reel turns on the tip..... Silvers were caught at 1.5mtrs on the whip..... "all caught in 4 hours" of fishing for the Match Fishing Camera....... since then the place has just got better!!! lol

1456524_10200848058035968_150638400_n.jpg

Comment

Upper Tamar Lake...... looks like this:

However it might be a different "beast" in March!!! lol

tamar 057.jpg

Comment

Hi Si just the response I was hoping for........music to my ears. I was brought up on this style of fishing and the main reason why I still go to Ireland every year (mind you don't get catches like your pic very often these days) plus why I like Porth in the W.A Festivals.

Yes I'm interested in fishing at least one if not all of the matches on upper U.T. Would commit now but I'm having two difficult teeth out in Hospital on Sat 22nd and I'm not sure if sitting on a wind swept lake is a good idea 24 hours later.

How far from White Acres is U.T.

Comment

Hi A.B,

According to AA Route Planner..... its 45 miles (1hr 2mins) drive.

Whiteacres post code is TR9 - Upper Tamar is at Kilkhampton Nr Bude EX23 9SB

Hope this helps mate.

When it's on form it is better than Ireland..... that said the March match is quite early in the year for Tamar, even still I would expect around 50lb to win - either tip or the whip??

However it is a big expanse of water & the weather (WIND) will dictate results!!

There is a club match up there this coming Sunday, i will try and find out how it fishes.

Comment

Cheers Si - will pm you nearer the time.

Comment

Pleasure mate... speak soon!

Comment

I regularly do the journey living by Tamar Lake and fishing W/A frequently and always allow an hour but its usually a 45 to 50 minute run between the two.

I shall be fishing said club match Simon mentioned on sunday so will post the results on here and will also be popping over for a sneaky practice today to see if the
                  bream or playing ball or if its all out whip session on sunday.

The lake is a delight to fish although a vast expanse of water (81 acres) it is full of fish no matter where you draw and has the added benefit over Porth of not having any pike to nick of your hook as you play em !

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmic View Post
                    I regularly do the journey living by Tamar Lake and fishing W/A frequently and always allow an hour but its usually a 45 to 50 minute run between the two.

I shall be fishing said club match Simon mentioned on sunday so will post the results on here and will also be popping over for a sneaky practice today to see if the
                    bream or playing ball or if its all out whip session on sunday.

The lake is a delight to fish although a vast expanse of water (81 acres) it is full of fish no matter where you draw and has the added benefit over Porth of not having any pike to nick of your hook as you play em !
                    Hi Cosmic - good luck today. I look forward to your match and pleasure session reports, peg Nos / areas that did well etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Abramis Brama View Post
                      Hi Cosmic - good luck today. I look forward to your match and pleasure session reports, peg Nos / areas that did well etc.
                      Any news guys on how Tamar fished at the weekend?.

Comment

Sorry about the dely in posting Abramis but have only just regained the feeling in my fingers from the weather conditions yesterday !

1st Andy Gray with 11lb 15oz. pegged on the Gorse Bush
                        2nd Nielsen Jeffery 10lb 6oz pegged one past the red bouy
                        3rd Alec Griffin with 7lb 9oz. pegged on Black and white post

most of the fish caught were small skimmers and small roach. Only one angler had a decent Bream of around 3lb.

The whip produced virtually nothing, In fact the three anglers that I spoke to that started on the whip all said they had one fish virtually straight
                        away then nothing.

To be honest, the weather totally scuppered the match as it was blowing a gale, raining and hailing and made the whip virtually unfishable and thus became a tip match.

Its a real pity as its not the kind of weights you want to be reading before deciding to do the open but I wouldn't let the above put you off. All we need is a calmer day with
                        a little less rain and it will be back on form again.

I did manage to sneak out 3 Bream on the Friday with some lovely roach and the angler with me managed a couple of roach in excess of a 1lb each.

I will no doubt have another day or two over there before the open and see how its fishing.

Comment

Thanks Cosmic. I'm not surprised at all especially given the conditions. No one knows more than me how moody Bream waters can be, so these results don't impact on me at all. In fact, had you posted huge weights I might have got the wrong impression, at least now I know Tamar is like most prolific Bream venues, it switches off. Abramis

Comment

Hi Guys - well did this first trust match fish as expected?. I heard from another thread that Simon (Silver Si) won a match yesterday with 38lbs just wondering if it was this match at Tamar.

Comment

Hi Abramis

It fished hard yesterday..... very cold nights and poor weather conditions during match (wind)

I did indeed win the match with 36lb 14oz "all roach" fishing the pole at 11mtrs.

There were a few bream caught on the tip, but they are always few and far between at this time of year...... hence why i targeted roach (educated gamble).

It will be very different in July, there will be 50lb+ weights on the tip and 50lb+ weights at 3mtrs on the whip!!

Hope you are enjoying Whiteacres!!

Comment

Working...
                              X