Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Snapper Spit The Hook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapper Spit The Hook!

A Blacktaik Snapper & a Few Puffers Made For an Interesting Morning!

Today i was surf casting my 13'3" & 14'2" 3pc Okuma casting rods. Love these rods! On the 13'3" i'm using the 2020 Cedros 8K w/50lb Eminent Braid by Soft Steel. On the 14'2" i'm using 65lb Eminent braid. When i first got there the starlight was lighting my way. After i cut my bait and my 2 rigs were ready a huge endangered Hawaiian Monk Seal swam by. Normally i'd go somewhere else as the fish was spooked. But because it took me awhile to set-up i stayed.

My 13'3" had a small jingling strike. When i brought it in the fish spit the hook in the white wash. I saw the bright orange belly & recognized it as a Blacktail Snapper "To'au". Normally these fish are P I G S and would wolf down any bait and swallow the hook in the process. This one was small, around 7in so it must've missed the hook & spit the bait out.

Then my 14'2" rig was JUMPING. The hit was a good strike! By the time i turned my video unit on it caught the last bounce of many before i started to pump it in. Through the non-giving braid i felt the fish go into the reef. So i left the rig unattended in hopes it would come out, it did. The line went slack. By the time i got to it the feel was "different". There was weight but no strong pulls or runs.

What i brought back in was a hook bitten in half. Sign of a large chomping Puffer Fish. That wasn't the fish that first struck though. It must've picked-up the baited hook after the main fish took off. Then my 13'3" rig had a similar strike. Brought that in to find another hook bitten in half. Obviously one or more puffers were waiting to be fed. That's when i decided enough was enough & went home with Costco Carnita for my little Chihuahua buddy Peanut Butter.

https://youtu.be/oZhpVx37CWI
Working...
X