Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Shown up by 10yr old daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shown up by 10yr old daughter

So me and Kate, my 10yr old daughter pitched up at Bury Hills fishery near Dorking in Surrey Saturday 19.9.09 at 11.30 for our "general" fishing instruction day. This was due to finish at 3.30 and at £30 a head I thought this was just on the right side of reasonable.
    Kate was responsible for getting me to fish for the first time about 6 weeks previously when we had again gone to Bury Hills and had a fairly productive day - 8 little beauties in the net - all but one skimmers (I think) caught by me. The eighth, a tiny perch Kate caught when dangling a maggot on a hook off the platform, just on her line - no rod or reel used !
    We actually felt lucky to be on there as this was one of two extra course dates put on due to oversubscription ! In October their course there turn to predators.
    As we left the woods to enter the approaches and the car park, the sun also left behind the sheltering clouds, and never dulled again. One of the hottest and stillest days of the year proceeded to pan out. Good for tanning, but not for big catches I was to discover. We happened to meet our fellow students-for-the-day another father/daughter combo, Andy and Sophia (7) from Epsom. We soon also greeted our teacher for the day, Eric Bailey, a self confessed zander lover, and after finishing a marvellous egg & bacon sarnie and coffee we made our way to the classroom: Milton Lake.
    I've heard a lot of criticism of Bury Hills, but you couldn't ask for a more splendid setting, and the surrounds,pegs and water itself looked in gorgeous condition.
    A good couple of hours of theory followed discussing the tackle, bait and the fish we could expect (hope) to catch, but soon enough we were casting into the weak-coffee coloured waters using the borrowed tackle and a selection of high and lo tech baits (pellets, paste and the humble maggot). Eric reassured us we were on the best swims, and pointed out the likely spots for good results.
    However we were now in the middle of a blazing hot day, and although plenty of carp seemed to be cavorting in the reeds to our left, and bubbles were surfacing all around us, not a bite was had.
    Over the next three hours Andy and Sophie each got a fish, a monster ruffe and a sturdy mirror of almost 6llb respectively, but were now making ready to leave. As it was nearly six the best fishing conditions were probably almost upon us, but tea time cannot be denied and I pulled out my phone to ring the wife to explain our prolonged absence, and promise a speedy return. I noticed however over the ringing tone small gasps escaping from my daughters lips, and the fact that her line was behaving oddly. I hung up and for a second stared stupidly at the 6lb line zooming around not 15ft in front of the platform.
    I think my third shout of "ERIC" must have quietened the shopping crowds in Dorking five miles away, but he was soon on the scene. Kate was only too eager to hand the rod to someone else, but no, Eric was detirmined this would be her fish. He set the drag and helped Kate to hold the rod that at times seemed bent in a perfect half circle.
    After a tense 10 minute battle most of the other anglers from around the lake clustered around the peg as we at last netted a beast that has twice already surged away from the looming landing net. It's gorgeouse tainted-brass flanks and perfectly scaled sides revealed it to be a common carp of superb proportions. The scales told the story, 12lb exactly and pictures were taken of the catch and captor. I always knew that Eric's advise to Kate to put her finger in the fishes mouth wouldn't be followed, so the hand you see is Eric's !
    We soon left, sun-bronzed, tired, triumphant and detirmined to do this more and more. Enjoy the pictures, hope they attach okay, and yes before you ask, yes, I did blank that day.
    Cheers
    Attached Files

Brilliant,a big well done to Kate,thats what fishings all about.Regards Peter.
    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Nice one mate, spot on! If your gonna get beat, I can't think of anyone better to do it, can you?

Cheers...Mark
      Can't catch enough.....

Comment

I take it she is hooked now!
        Simon Young
        Admin
        Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
        web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

perfect well done kate.dan you should think about writing m8 this was like a book
          Paypal gift is for friends only

Comment

Most kind, yes she's pretty chuffed, and is definitely up for more of the same. I'm teasing her that she should retire and hang up her rod now though. Firstly so she stops making me look bad, and secondly because her average fish size will probably never be as good ! I don't think she's buying it somehow !

Rich200 - you're a gent. Most people just moan about the length of my posts

Cheers again guys

Comment

An excellent read Dan,
              Bury Hill is one of my favorite fisheries.
              You'll soon learn never to take females of any age fishing with you, they'll always beat you or catch the largest one.

Congratulations to young Kate, the smile on her face says it all.
              [COLOR=blue][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/pnm123/Smileys/icon_smile_big.gif[/IMG] "Minxed" to the max.[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/pnm123/Smileys/icon_smile_shock.gif[/IMG] [/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
              [URL="http://petermorton1.xanga.com/"][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Click this link to read "My Fishing Diaries"[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]

Comment

well thats another one hooked for life ,well done to little katy and to dad for taking her .
                [url]www.xanga.com/billgibbins[/url]

Comment

Great story mate, really made me smile.
                  My girl is only 5 and still very much "fishin's for boys daddy" but she will come round one day !
                  Sounds like you had a great day.

Comment

Page 65 of this weeks Angler's Mail ! Oh the fame.
                    I hasten to add that pictured with Kate is our instructor Eric, not me !

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Sack View Post
                      Page 65 of this weeks Angler's Mail ! Oh the fame.
                      I hasten to add that pictured with Kate is our instructor Eric, not me !
                      Hate to say it mate but most on here(including me )dont read it,and those that do dont admit it(a bit like the sun),so get a pic and post it on here,cause im certain,like me,everyone wants a look.
                      Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Future match master there

Comment

Working...
                        X