Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

my charity match experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my charity match experience

right here goes

i started to arrange this years event at the end of jan , i like to give myself plenty of time , to get as many on board as poss and raise as much as poss

i sent out 1000 mails / e mails/ phone calls trying to get as many raffle prizes as i could , i do pride myself in a good selection of prizes

as the day grew near it was plain to see this year was going to be massive , last year we had 80 anglers , this year there was 312 down to fish , but only 228 turned up , still very good ,

the day before i went to lindholme to pick up rob hitchens van , if it wasnt for him the prizes certainly would have got there in one trip , for that i thank him ,

the night before i loaded the van a few phone calls and a very large whiskey off to bed for what i know would be a restless night ,
    i selp till 2-30 then my dog a black lab called ZAK woke me up barking , doesnt normally do this . so with having a van with about 4 grands worth of prizes sat on my drive , i was up like a bullet ,
    couldnt see or hear anything , ........ but that was it sleep over , wide awake club ,
    got up at 4am coffee more coffee , watch the weather , last year we had snow , hahahahaah

6-15am off to pick my right hand man (martin ) we got to the end of his street and oh can we go back mate , ive forgot to put my bin out , hahahaah

so after the said bin was out off we set ,

we had some signs to put up , dont know if any of you saw them ?

when we arrived at lindholme at 06-40am there was already about 30 anglers walking about , i couldnt believe it ,
    idrew my peg willows 4 , i was happy with that

into cafe for a good breakie , and then thats when i knew how busy it was going to be ,

with a good nosh inside me it was raffle ticket time ,
    ive never seen as much money just thrown at me it was totaly unreal , i was going through raffle books like they was going out of fashion , one guy bought £60 another £50 worth in one go ,
    with all the give aways and fishing rebulic handing out free T-shirts and hats it was just spot on ,
    the i had handed out some sponsor forms to one or two folks who had asked for them
    this one guy called dave radford , last year gave me a cheque for £300 , this year he gave me a cheque for £750 , what a guy that man is , thankyou dave , ......

i had my 2 helpers with me martin and nige who i work with , nige wasnt fishing due to other commitments but came and gave me 5 hours of help , thanks nige ..

it was a case of selling tickets and chatting were i could but , not alot of time to meet and greet everyone due to the mad selling , could do with more help on that front i think for next year ,

with myself and martin fishing the event it was as case of you go get set up when you get back il go get set up , this worked well ,

10-15 arrived and jonny howard blew the horn for the start ,

i was into a carp in the first 2 mins , yes i thought this will do , then nothing for a bit , a few fish then nothing , it was like this till noon ,
    then i thought right fish right over to the left side , there was a spare peg so in i went and bang a lump first put in instant success , about 7lb

kept going back into samne spot chub carp chub carp for next 2 hrs , i had the guy from northern angler sat behind me watching and taking photos ,

i stopped fishing at 2-45pm so i could go help wiegh in , packed up but left my nets there to weigh later ,

jonny blew the hooter at 3-15pm , and off we went ,

the first to weigh was a guy who had only been fishing 6 months , he was very happy with the few ponds he weighed in , and good luck to him , well done

my net was second , it totaled 17-12oz , witnessed by martin and ian from northern angler ,

as we went round i thought i stood a chance of a section win , there was one guy who id seen catch a few , but he fell short by a few lbs , so there it was id won my section , i was very happy with that ,

the biggest weight we had weighed was 5olb from rob hitchens , untill we got to tim hayes of derbyshire , he had 3 nets in , ...........
    and did he need them ,,, he weighed in a massive 131lb of carp from peg 54 laurels all on meat , he told me he had struggled for first 2 hours , , not bad eh i wish id struggled like that ,

the raffle

well this is always a laugh with neil drawing , and it was to be no differant , i hope you all had a win ( more than i did ) ,

the amount raised so far is £5,127 and still a bit more to come ,

hope you enjoyed the day and the read , and hope to see you all next year and see if we can beat the total again

cheers
    kev
    CATS & DOGS PROUD SPONSORS OF THE BIG BASH [url]www.thebigbash.co.uk[/url]
Working...
X