Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Helvelyn 12th Feb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helvelyn 12th Feb

This is the last mountain walk b4 I attempt Ben Nevis in Early March. We walked from Thirlmere up & over the Lower man to the summit of Helvelyn in the Lake District thus avoiding the Striding & Swirling edge ridges as visibility was very poor. It got wetter colder & windier on the higher slopes. A walk which was quite treacherous with compass bearings required to maintain the correct route. Melting snow turned the slopes into numerous 'streams' making it a difficult day.

Just how difficult was highlighted by one of my colleagues who slipped & fell awkwardly over some rocks hurting his ankle. He managed to hobble off the mountain but was told he'd damaged his ankle ligaments which will take 6 weeks to heal. Had he fell any higher up the slopes we would have had to call for the mountain rescue !! As it was he walked on it for over 2 miles back to safety.

The trig point Cairn Helvelyn Summit

The summit shelter still covered in snow /cloud

Cloud clearing on descent

Cold wet & tired

Last edited by Paulscatt; 23 February 2007, 01:04 AM.
    [IMG]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/fewbits/lfccool.gif[/IMG]

so this is what a liverpool hoody looks like...... if you see him hanging around your peg on a match would you be nervious......

nice one Paul you are probably fitter than the liverpool team mate
    In darkness we do what we can
    In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

If you saw him anywhere you would be nervious.

Wouldnt get me up there have a job walking on the flat, come to think of it have a job going down hill

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Teepot
        nice one Paul you are probably fitter than the liverpool team mate

Afraid not Larry, legs ache for days afterwards . One walk every three weeks aint enough to get proper fit but any more regular would be expensive & would interfere with my fishing.
        [IMG]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/fewbits/lfccool.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
        X