• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ant_9
    Talk Angling User
    Registered member
    • Aug 2009

Fish - Tropical and Freshwater

Was just wondering, as I have a pond and love fish altogether, does anyone else share my passion for fish or / and have a pond? If you do it would be great to chat to someone with similar interests. I keep tropical fish too and pretty much know them back to front. However, my real passion is for koi. Although I do not currently have any Japanese koi, I do keep ghost and mirror carp and a mixed variety of goldfish. I also have some mix breed koi. If anyone has any japanese koi, it would be great to chat. I have been thinking of buying some as I love their friendly behaviour and fantastic aray of colours

Regards, Ant
  • droid
    Talk Angling User
    TA 750+ Club
    • Nov 2008

I have 2 4' tanks and one 5' tank of tropicals. No pond though.

Keep Central American cichlids, couple of Oscars I inherited, and some big Tinfoil Barbs.

Comment

• Coooky
      newbie coarse angler
      Done a Ton
      • Aug 2009

how about this in your garden

its my dads the house was built in feb for his birthday so im guessing the pond is now filled not spoke to him lately as he lives in thailand and works in iraq

Comment

• Ant_9
        Talk Angling User
        Registered member
        • Aug 2009

Wow Coooky that's quite a pond You interested in fish yourself ? Cichlids are lovely fish. My brother has kept a few. Have you had any fry at all? I also love oscars, the bigger ones are brilliant fish.

Comment

• Coooky
          newbie coarse angler
          Done a Ton
          • Aug 2009

i have had a few tanks my fav fish were german blue rams and clown loach beautiful looking fish dwark guramis are nice looking also, if i was to ever get another tank it would be for only 1 fish an albino oscar or a pair of discus

Comment

• Ant_9
            Talk Angling User
            Registered member
            • Aug 2009

I've kept Dwarf Gourami's before and clown loaches. They are beautiful fish. I've never had a tank big enough to keep Oscars or Discus but I would love to keep them s fish. I did my work experience at a garden centre called Shoots, whith most of my time in the aquatics section. That was the first time I saw Albino Oscars, and I must say they look amazing.

Comment

• Coooky
              newbie coarse angler
              Done a Ton
              • Aug 2009

yep my only problem atm is space but as soon as i can get space for a tank big enough im gonna have an oscar,i had a small one and it was great feeding it worms

if i never had a greenhouse i would make a shed and have a few tanks in that nothign better than sitting with the lights out,lights on in the tank and chilling with a few beers on the pc letting the fish catch your eye as they move around the tank

Comment

• Ant_9
                Talk Angling User
                Registered member
                • Aug 2009

Yeah Perfect idea there. Where you from mate?

Comment

• danny1234
                  Talk Angling User
                  Done a Ton
                  • Jun 2009

iv got a tank and a pond got guppies in the tank and small cat fish and in the pond got fan tail goldfish orchid carp ghost carp and commet gold fish and tench o yr and 2 stickel backs lol

Comment

• Ant_9
                    Talk Angling User
                    Registered member
                    • Aug 2009

Nice I have a mixture of koi, yellow goldfish, the normal red ones, tench, used to have gold but just green now. Gonna get a sterlet. They're amazing I'm guessing your guppies must breed alot ? I had 2 catfish and 2 polpterus in my tank but all y fish keptgetting eaten so got to get rid of the 4 I even saw the polypterus rip out the eye of my brothers severum and drag it round the tank which was quite annoying and upsetting. Fish are great though, i never seem to lose interest.

Comment

• Coooky
                      newbie coarse angler
                      Done a Ton
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Ant_9 View Post
                      Yeah Perfect idea there. Where you from mate?
                      washington,tyne and wear

Comment

• danny1234
                        Talk Angling User
                        Done a Ton
                        • Jun 2009

yer they do got some now and in 3 months they will be sexualy active so have even more then lol

Comment

• fish farmer
                          Talk Angling User
                          Site Life Member
                          • Nov 2008

Ant.... be careful about buying japanese koi. Imported koi in general have been problematic in recent years with a lot of KHV in many producing countries. You could try english bred koi from Cuttlebrook koi (google them for website). They breed from broodstock originally from Japan and are producing some nice fish these days.
                          [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

• Ant_9
                            Talk Angling User
                            Registered member
                            • Aug 2009

Nice one Danny

Thanks Fish Farmer, will check it out now. What do you think of New Forest Koi ? I've heard about KHV, is it true it can wipe out whole fish stocks?

Comment

• Ant_9
                              Talk Angling User
                              Registered member
                              • Aug 2009

Just checked the site. Looks good! Do you know how much the smaller koi are? At the moment I am just thinking of getting some between 5 and 6 inches.

Thanks, Ant

Comment

Working...
                              X