Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Windows 7 or Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 or Vista

I will be getting my youngest a laptop for christmas but i don't know wether to have it with the new windows 7 (with probable teething problems) or windows vista (with most of the teething problems ironed out). Has any one been using the windows 7 yet and how does it compare. cheers steve.
    Steve Davies

hi Steve Ive been using both for a while now and i think windows 7 is miles ahead of vista and as for teething probs Ive had a lot more with vista than 7. hope this helps kriss

Comment

7 7 7 and more 7 dont even think about vista its absolute rubbish why do you think microsoft brought out another windows so quickly
      Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such.

Homer J Simpson.

Comment

mmm your right to wonder about 7 my own personel opinion i would steer clear of windows and get a apple mac much better but more pricier but the difference is awesome
        [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
        [COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]:D [SIZE="5"][B]My New Fishing Rod [/B][/SIZE]:D[/CENTER][/COLOR]

Comment

cliftons right m8. haven't used 7 yet but vista is still full of bugs. i've only heard good things about 7, but it still early days.

Comment

Vista was work in progress, the only real difference is windoze 7 supports touch technology, it uses the same Kernal so exssentially its the same speed and has the same power usage, your really going to have to wait for windoze 8 for any major speed and power improvements.

Personally I would take the windose 7 machine unless you can get one with an XP pack but anything below windoze 7 ultimate or premium is a waste of time the basic and home packs are crap and missing apps even XP had as standard
            Last edited by justin case; 3 November 2009, 01:56 PM.
            [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
            [CENTER][B][U]Carlsburg Disgorgers[/U][/B][/CENTER]
            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
            [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
            [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

windows 7 all the way

incorrect jc windows 7 is much faster mate im useing windows 7 ultimute with 4 gb of ram and windows 7 uses about avg of 14-20 persent with vista 35-50 proof is in the puding mate my pc not only runs better but performs better aswell i can play games that just wouldnt run on vista so yeah windows 7 is better and vista is bulky bugy and dam well slow where as win7 is is the one to go for i can run every thing you can Imagen with no lag and the operational use is so dam gd its unreal as for bugs vista even with sp1 is still to buggy and nonrespondent exaple with surfing the net and downloading on vista u just canmt do it on win 7 u can my score on vista 5.0 my score on win 7 6.8 so yeah go for windows 7 and u cant go wrong anyway there is a service pack with windows 7 next march so watch out for that one also he is right the still use the kernal but my god they use it much better then vista go for windows 7 its better then all previous windows as for macs the new lepard snow is rubbish stay clear of it

Comment

Originally posted by adrianluvsfishing View Post
                incorrect jc windows 7 is much faster mate im useing windows 7 ultimute with 4 gb of ram and windows 7 uses about avg of 14-20 persent with vista 35-50 proof is in the puding mate my pc not only runs better but performs better aswell i can play games that just wouldnt run on vista so yeah windows 7 is better and vista is bulky bugy and dam well slow where as win7 is is the one to go for i can run every thing you can Imagen with no lag and the operational use is so dam gd its unreal as for bugs vista even with sp1 is still to buggy and nonrespondent exaple with surfing the net and downloading on vista u just canmt do it on win 7 u can my score on vista 5.0 my score on win 7 6.8 so yeah go for windows 7 and u cant go wrong anyway there is a service pack with windows 7 next march so watch out for that one also he is right the still use the kernal but my god they use it much better then vista go for windows 7 its better then all previous windows as for macs the new lepard snow is rubbish stay clear of it
                Adrian Did you actually read my reply ? what pudding is that ? the pudding I use are independent tech sites.

despite your pc being quicker it still uses the same Kernal, the Kernal is the core component that controls all memory usage, process order file management and I,O its the connection between application program and hardware, it all runs at the same speed.
                if your comparing to the origonal RTM version of Vista (minus the service packs) then you may have a small point but as you are well aware the service packs are released to fix things

I like my tech I have lots of pcs here spread across the house and office with all variations of windows plus one Linux Gentoo machine and a Mac the one pc that has windows 7 benchmarks slightly faster than all except the Linux machine and the Mac but the pc was purchased as a windows 7 based pc, it was made for and has software and hardware designed for it, Like yours it also come packed with ram over and above that of all the others,

Ram is whats making your pc faster the more you have, the more pages your pc can store in its memory for randon access. your also seeing an improvement due to the lack of hangs and freezes but as I said above VISTA was work in progress it was sold broken, and one of the key issues was the hang and freeze problems, having said that those that have regularly upgraded and are now on service pack 2 will see little or no difference between the two operating systems as the problems with Vista are in the best part fixed.

Now as for the version definitions of windoze 7 the basic and home versions are missing key components that for todays user are needed, basic stuff too like editing software,and the ability to run on the XP platform, these components are not included you have to jump up to ultimate or pro to get that and as I said in my previous post buy windoze 7 but get the ultimate or pro.

My comment on buying an XP machine was based on software use for the average user, everything for windows will run on XP IT WILL NOT ON WINDOWS 7, unless you have the correct version, in some cases like I had here I had to purchase a ton of upgrades for my company packages for them to work or in some cases they wouldnt even install.

So Windoze 7 maybe your Ferrari but its far from faultless and it really depends on what your doing with it and what version your prepared to purchase
                [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
                [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
                [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

fair comment jc but as i worked on the framework on this os i can say it is faster mate sp2 sorry is still slow jc and 4gb of ram isnt enough for vista but is plenty for win 7 but i agree its not the best for software but with tweaks u can run compatibility feature witch is added too all versions of windows 7 buddy but as for the comment vista with sp2 is no different too windows 7 run the two together buddy and u will see that windows 7 is better then vista even with sp2 mate hugh difference but no nothing fault less correct. every linner has its silver cloud mate ram=remote access memory yeah i know a bit about pc my ram is 1333mhz aswell so gd point mate im not running it on a rubbish pc maybe then i would see different maybe not my cpu helps as well o and btw get youre self a gtx 295 and watch youre games run without lag

Comment

Ram is actually Random access memory, you need to test the same pc like for like to get a true comparison each with the different operating system, I can only quote you facts Adrain

I use sites like tech republic and Toms Hardware to source my info when im upgrading and only passing on what I have learnt prior to spending my money

here is a snippet from an expert

Windows 7’s scores were unquestionably superior to those of XP according to the results provided by the SPECViewperf and Cinebench. Of course so were Vista’s. However, users should take note that the benchmark in question involves Windows Vista Service Pack 2, a release that was made available in mid-2009, when the development process of Windows 7 was approaching the end. The highest score Windows 7 got with SPECViewperf was 139.35, much superior to XP SP3’s 95.84, but inferior to Vista SP2’s 145.30. In the Cinebench benckmark, Windows 7 got the biggest rating, 4.09, Vista SP2 was runner up with 4.07 and XP SP3 last with 3.98, considering just the highest scores the three operating systems received.

The benchmarkings indicate that the performance of Windows 7, while leaving XP SP3 in the dust, is approximately on par with Vista SP2’s. Microsoft has after all had three years to fine tune Windows Vista into the usable operating system that it is today. Fact is that if Microsoft had released Vista at SP2 and not as RTM XP’s successor would have never been compared with Windows ME.

It’s not surprising to me that there’s little to no difference between Vista SP2 and Windows 7 performance-wise, as resulted from the two benchmarks. But I think that a fair comparison would have had to involve Windows XP RTM and Windows Vista RTM, not the evolved versions of the two operating systems. And I believe that in such a scenario Windows 7’s superiority in terms of performance would have been unquestionable.

Still, users must understand that a benchmarking could be little relevant compared to using the operating system day-to-day. I have always opined that it is the users’ impression of performance and not the actual performance that in the end makes the difference.
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

well this debate could go on for ever in my opinion but has previously stated on here it may be best to wait until windows 8 is released already seen pirated copy on web so it wont be long for that but for those people who have problems with vista go to this site which tells you how to tweak vista or 7
                      Windows Vista How-To Articles, Tips, and Guides :: How-To Geek

also remember for vista to install the codec package just google vista codec pack download and install done this myself and very rarely have any probs with vista games or films but my next pc will defo be a mac hope this helps for some who have probs with there machines

important if you have any other codec pack installed remove before you install vista one
                      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
                      [COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]:D [SIZE="5"][B]My New Fishing Rod [/B][/SIZE]:D[/CENTER][/COLOR]

Comment

upon more research if you're gonna buy a l/top with 4g of ram and a dual or quad core prossesor and u have the cash try and get the 64 bit this will find more ram and make the thing be more speedy but be warned some hardware may not work aka scanners printers if they are old and some programs are only set too 32 bit but it will make things faster as for win 8 you're looking at 3 years so win 7 seems too be the best option make sure it has 3g min and 6 max no need for more then 6 also when u get you're kid his laptop i suggest u use sphinx software for you're f/wall and avira for you're anti virus and good old spybot s&d for you're anti spyware also for you're safety use a squared and anti malwarebytes these are gd programs that run well on win 7 and are not app hungry meaning they use little resources with max effectiveness and if and when u get you're son/daughter a l/top i can go through tweaking it with you if u would like as i done it on mine with a Hugh difference too overall performance

Comment

Originally posted by Digdeep View Post
                          but my next pc will defo be a mac
                          Now ya cooking on gas, thats a wise move solid build quality and hassle free some steer clear of Macs due to the OS but you can have a whole host of apps that work cross platform now days as for speed they just fly along
                          [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                          [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                          [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                          [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

jc we have aq break trough we agree on something lol

Comment

Its only opinions Adrian

we can all have one mate DNW is prolly more confused than ever now though
                              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                              [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                              [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X