Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Bloody N.H.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody N.H.S.

My son fell off a wall and broke both his ankles,(he is 35 years of age and lives at home) had to crawl to get someone to help him, ambulance took him to hospital and x rayed both ankles, confirmed breaks,then moved him 10miles away to a hospital where a bed was available. He was kept in this hospital for one week then on a Friday morning was put in a taxi with his wheelchair and dropped off in the city centre in the rain and was told to go to the homeless at the Town Hall to find some accomodation which would accomodate a wheelchair bound person,(nothing covering his legs) he was told by the hospital he could not stay any longer because he was taking a bed up and they needed it as there was nothing they could do for him yet. He was after about 8hrs finally found a hostel that was wheelchair friendly and was able to accomodate a commode for him. He is due back at the first hospital on Friday 3rd September after the wife had made many phone calls to find out what was happening to him. I am not a racist person but all my family have been brought up in this country, my father fought in the 2nd World War my uncle was killed in the same War, we are white ENGLISH people.
    I just wonder, if we as a family were foreigners would my son have been treated better than this.

As he still lives at home, why were you not consulted when he was discharged?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

To be discharged from hospital you HAVE to have an adress to be discharged too.
      It is ILLEGAL for them to discharge anyone who does not have an adress to be discharged too, i know this for fact as i work in the NHS and have managed wards.
      I have also just checked with my wife who is a ward based nurse. What the hospital did was illegal and was putting your son at risk.
      Go and see a solicitor and sue the backside off them
      If on the other hand you refused to have him home because of his condition, that is a different matter. Where you consulted with regards his discharge as Luke says, did you know he was going to be discharged and why if he lives at home as you stated did he not return there. With all due respect i find it hard to beleve that they would just pack him off in a cab and dump him in the middle of town.
      Last edited by SPADGER; 29 August 2010, 07:40 PM.
      On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Why didn't you take him in??

Surely you could've looked after him for till you was able to get some kind of care from you local authorities.

Comment

Sorry, had a delayed brain/keyboard moment.
          Last edited by luke carpstalker; 29 August 2010, 08:37 PM.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

We were not informed of his discharge as he is an adult, we could not take him home Mark T as we had no single bed for him to sleep in for downstairs and no ramp to allow the wheelchair through the front or back door, we also did not possess a commode, he was not measured for a wheelchair and on the one occasion we have had him at our house for a short time I struggled to get him in because of no ramp and the width of the chair. Spadger, they did put him in a cab with a wheelchair and dumped him in town, in the rain, until the local authority could find him suitable accomodation. The accomodation he is now in is, one room on ground floor with bed, wheelchair, commode at a cost of £6. 50p per week.

Comment

Originally posted by ferryman View Post
              My son fell off a wall and broke both his ankles,(he is 35 years of age and lives at home) had to crawl to get someone to help him, ambulance took him to hospital and x rayed both ankles, confirmed breaks,then moved him 10miles away to a hospital where a bed was available. He was kept in this hospital for one week then on a Friday morning was put in a taxi with his wheelchair and dropped off in the city centre in the rain and was told to go to the homeless at the Town Hall to find some accomodation which would accomodate a wheelchair bound person,(nothing covering his legs) he was told by the hospital he could not stay any longer because he was taking a bed up and they needed it as there was nothing they could do for him yet. He was after about 8hrs finally found a hostel that was wheelchair friendly and was able to accomodate a commode for him. He is due back at the first hospital on Friday 3rd September after the wife had made many phone calls to find out what was happening to him. I am not a racist person but all my family have been brought up in this country, my father fought in the 2nd World War my uncle was killed in the same War, we are white ENGLISH people.
              I just wonder, if we as a family were foreigners would my son have been treated better than this.
              Your son,s wheeling himself round the town in a wheelchair in the rain ,with broken limbs looking for somewhere to stop where they,ll lift him on and off the crapper ???, so he or nobody else rang you , thru all these events you never went and got him back home safe somehow ,and you blame "THE BLOODY N.H.S. " and also throw in a bit of racism , instead of sitting in front of a p.c. u want to look in the mirror mate !!!and get your head on the right way way round.check how many , poles,india,s + chinese e.t.c. work in hospital,s + then buy a history book a see how many of the same people fought and died in ww2 read about Malta ,where the whole island was awarded the George cross for what they went thru, they aint "WHITE " and they aint english, and there might be one or two working in the n.h.s.
              MR. BLUE SKY

Comment

Originally posted by Goff View Post
                Your son,s wheeling himself round the town in a wheelchair in the rain ,with broken limbs looking for somewhere to stop where they,ll lift him on and off the crapper ???, so he or nobody else rang you , thru all these events you never went and got him back home safe somehow ,and you blame "THE BLOODY N.H.S. " and also throw in a bit of racism , instead of sitting in front of a p.c. u want to look in the mirror mate !!!and get your head on the right way way round.check how many , poles,india,s + chinese e.t.c. work in hospital,s + then buy a history book a see how many of the same people fought and died in ww2 read about Malta ,where the whole island was awarded the George cross for what they went thru, they aint "WHITE " and they aint english, and there might be one or two working in the n.h.s.
                If it was my son i would have carried him in and out the house and also have let him kip downstairs.
                As Goff stated to throw in the war does not wash mate. Maltese, Australians, Ghurkas, Dutch, Polish, French and dozens of other races died fighting the hun. Not just the British and also believe me, without Asians and Chinese there wouldn't be any Drs in the NHS.
                By the way. A comode would have been supplied if requested.
                With due respect mate, your story does not add up. I know the NHS is not perfect but no way would a nurse upon discharging your son leave him/ herself wide open to disciplinary action in todays litigation swamped society. Like i said before, if what you stated is fact then go and see a brief.
                Last edited by SPADGER; 29 August 2010, 09:51 PM.
                On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

When he left the second hospital he was also not given a date for him to go back in, only after a number of phone calls and a trip to the first hospital did we manage to get a date of 3rd September. Goff, we could not have taken him home because he needs the correct care and equipment which we do not have, for me he should still be in hospital, have you heard of care in the community Goff, some of theses people are left to fend for themselves and should be in homes or hospitals. I AM NOT RACIST. My wife is half Polish.

P.S. My mother was born in the Dingle.

Comment

is this a fishing site thank god for the NHS

Comment

Hear , Hear, GOD. Not god.

Comment

He maybe an adult but he should of let you know he was coming home and a parent should bend over backwards to do anything for his or her child.

In the week he was in hospital did it not occur that he needed to get something sorted given the circumstance's??

My brother had a serious head injury 18 months ago and was in a coma for 7 months and he has severe disabilities and can't walk at all. When he was discharged i gave up my bed, moved it downstairs to the back room so he had somewhere to sleep, i then slept on the couch. Me and my father then carried him in and out of the house when needed, the only thing we had which you haven't is a commode.

But a few calls to your council would of sorted that, i'm not syaing things were done right by the hospital but i also think you could've done abit more yourself!

Maybe i'm wrong but thats my point of view on it!

Comment

I'm not going to pass comment on this situation. However, I was admitted to hospital in extreme pain last year, and I have to say that they couldn't do enough for me. I was sad to leave!

Sometimes, you have to help yourself...

Comment

there is more to this story,i have worked in hospitals and no way do they just dump you out,unless you sign your self out,or unless you cause that much trouble to other people. if any of your story is true see a solicter you will get thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by FISHDOGMICK View Post
                              there is more to this story
                              After the 15 page feeder rod saga, I'm not convinced ferryman lets the truth get in the way of a good yarn.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X