Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

computer bods help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer bods help

My so has a virgin notepad and everytime i try to connect to the internet via WIFI or a dongle it states cnnot load web etc........
    When a diagnostics is done it states there are conflicting IP adresses, any thoughts lads.
    I have tried virgin helpline but keep getting someone who sounds like an australian dutchman who to be honest is no help at all.
    On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

click start - run...

a small box will appear, in it type 'cmd' without quotes..

a black box with blue header will appear, in this type (underscore is a space ) ipconfig_/all

a load of guff will appear.

right click on the the blue bar at the top of the black window, right click select properties...

In the options tab, put a tick in 'quick edit mode'

next box will ask if you want it to be for this time or all....select all...

Maximaise the black box best you can so you can see all the text. starting at the bottom right, left click and drag so all the text is highlighted..

when its highlighted, leave the mouse alone and press CTRL and the 'C' key at the same time.

you can then either post in here, or pm me. in the main text body of either the post or pm, get the cursor active in the left clicking where you would normally type, and then press the keys CTRL and V together, this will paste the contents of your network/ip stuff you discovered into a message.

------------

It's probably something to do with what is called DHCP....this is a function of your broadband routers that assigns IP sub address to PC's it see's on your local network.

Another quick easy test is to eliminate any wireless, and plug the lappie straight into the router with an ethernet cable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Slight err on my part, as you can't get on the net with the virgin lappie, you won't be able to post info fro the IP config search.

try this:

open the windows control panel, and open up network connections.

in there find 'wireless network connection' right click on it and select properties.

in the white window of the box that opens click 'internet prtotocol ( TCP/IP) so it goes blue, press the properies button below it.

ensure that both 'obtain an IP address, and obtain DNS servers automatically' are checked/ticked.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Is this the same on windows vista,cos when i click on control panel there is no option for network connections.
        Cheers...jay
        Don't you just love it when your daughter kicks your ass:o

Comment

Nver used vista, but according to the interweb:

To immediately open the connection list, you can just type ncpa.cpl into the Start menu search box:
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Luke is now officially the TA equivalent of Bill Gates.
            Cheers mate that sorted it.
            On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

What sorted it?

Auto IP& DNS?
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi luke ,got to the stage TCP/IP but mine has TCP/IPv6 &TCP/IPv4 and both are checked in the areas you said but still no joy,any more ideas mate.When im trying to connect its saying windows cannot connect .
                Cheers...Jay

Comment

Originally posted by luke carpstalker View Post
                  Slight err on my part, as you can't get on the net with the virgin lappie, you won't be able to post info fro the IP config search.

try this:

open the windows control panel, and open up network connections.

in there find 'wireless network connection' right click on it and select properties.

in the white window of the box that opens click 'internet prtotocol ( TCP/IP) so it goes blue, press the properies button below it.

ensure that both 'obtain an IP address, and obtain DNS servers automatically' are checked/ticked.
                  This one mate. Thanks again.

Comment

Dont know what iv done but got it working now,cheers anyway luke,Top fella

Comment

Originally posted by luke carpstalker View Post
                      click start - run...

a small box will appear, in it type 'cmd' without quotes..

a black box with blue header will appear, in this type (underscore is a space ) ipconfig_/all

a load of guff will appear.

right click on the the blue bar at the top of the black window, right click select properties...

In the options tab, put a tick in 'quick edit mode'

next box will ask if you want it to be for this time or all....select all...

Maximaise the black box best you can so you can see all the text. starting at the bottom right, left click and drag so all the text is highlighted..

when its highlighted, leave the mouse alone and press CTRL and the 'C' key at the same time.

you can then either post in here, or pm me. in the main text body of either the post or pm, get the cursor active in the left clicking where you would normally type, and then press the keys CTRL and V together, this will paste the contents of your network/ip stuff you discovered into a message.

------------

It's probably something to do with what is called DHCP....this is a function of your broadband routers that assigns IP sub address to PC's it see's on your local network.

Another quick easy test is to eliminate any wireless, and plug the lappie straight into the router with an ethernet cable.

Yeh.......Thats exactly what i thought! ;-)
                      To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueser View Post

Liar.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueser View Post
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

sorry to jump on yer post Spadger but does anyone else find there dongles rubish,ive got a vodaphone dongle,one day its like mega slow dial up,next day even worse,the area its used in should be good,well thats what vodafone sayany ideas as to ways i can improve it.
                            OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Comment

I don't have one of these, but maybe:

ensure sim contacts in dongle & sim card are clean.

try a different unlocked dongle.

google your dongle model number, see if there are any software or frimware updates, and see what problems other people are having.

are you using this in the same location, every day?
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X