Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

pc problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc problems

Gf's pc keeps freezing and keeps getting pop-ups from 'win-antivirus' Ive scanned it with allsorts but cant get rid of them, anybody got any ideas , it's doing my head in

Originally posted by polepot
    Gf's pc keeps freezing and keeps getting pop-ups from 'win-antivirus' Ive scanned it with allsorts but cant get rid of them, anybody got any ideas , it's doing my head in
    Have you tried any Spyware removers?
    I use Spybot Search And Destroy you can get it from here free: The home of Spybot-S&D!
    There are a few other free ones around but I have always used Spybot.
    Another good free cleaner is CClenaner this will clear all the rubish of your PC including cookies, you can get that here:CCleaner.com
    I hope this is helpfull to you..

Comment

Polepot, it is possible you are already screwed I'm afraid to say...

What you need to get is a program called Spyware Doctor, you will also need to get their add on called Registry Mechanic... they arent free I'm afraid, something like £20 but it will take off all the crap and hopefully reserect your machine... just make sure you keep running it once a week once you have fixed the problems.
      Simon Young
      Admin
      Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
      web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

computer

hi polepot go on to google and download the free edition of avg antivirus me and a lot of my mates are using it and they are more into them than me as soon as you have download it scan your computer

Comment

Ive just used the free ones, spybot and cc cleaner, they took loads of crap out, wil see what happens now seems ok so far, touch wood.
          Thanks chaps

Comment

I use AVG, CCleaner and Lavasoft Adaware between them they seem to keep me protected, and relatively trouble free, a lot depends on what the grandson downloads as to wether I get any crashes but running the above usually sorts them out. I suppose the fool proof way is to back everything up and do a reinstall of the operating system that makes most systems more stable. Also its worth while running a virus check via Trend Micro house call every month or so.
            If you are then still getting problems these guys usually will find a solution
            The Tech Stop (formerly known as "The Tech Guys") - Powered by vBulletin
            Link for Trend Micro
            TREND MICRO HouseCall 6.5

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

It seems to be ok at the moment, only 1 pop-up in 2hrs, it seems to have got rid of the winantivirus stuff

Comment

Spoke too soon, it's still here

Comment

Doh

Sledgehammer..... thatll solve the computer problems

Erm, only other suggestion if it cant be fixed is get a 2nd hand cheap computer. Local papers/ebay do some fairly cheap computers.
                  [COLOR="Magenta"][B][FONT="Arial Black"]The Minx[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/GemmaD/Banners/sig2.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Spoke too soon, it's still here
                    well it kind of worked...
                    Did you update spybot?
                    If not update on the first screen when prog starts then run scan again..
                    I also run ad-aware free along side spybot...If you want to try get it here: Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition - Reviews and free downloads at Download.com you should also check for update before you rub ad-aware too..
                    Also if you installed any other scanning software before you tried these I would uninstall them.
                    There is one more thing you can try but it will mean you downloading another prog then sending me the log file.. Try the Spybot update and Ad-Aware see how it goes..

Do you have Anti Virus? if not I also use AVG AVG Free Advisor: Free anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-malware tools

Polpot I just found this which should help you with popups Help with Winfixer/WinAntivirus popups - Safer Networking Forums
                    Skip the first post and go to the second from PSKelly
                    Last edited by Martin B; 27 September 2006, 10:29 PM.

Comment

there's more security on there now than fort knox

Comment

there's more security on there now than fort knox
                        Sorry not a good idea to over do it... I edeted my last post as I found a fourum thread that will help you with winantivirus popups

Comment

Wiil have to have a look another day, off to work now

Comment

Neil my PC PC works quite well and I have the same anti virus/anti adware as Brian, but I have noticed it "hangs" half way through displaying a TA item. Hitting the refresh button on my browser sometimes seems to jolt it into completing the item. I'd assumed the problem was outwith my PC - more to do with ISP.
                            John - Kingfisher
                            Talk Angling Senior Member
                            Club Record Holder on Grand Union Canal Knowle:D

Comment

"Polpot I just found this which should help you with popups Help with Winfixer/WinAntivirus popups - Safer Networking Forums"

Just tried that, will wait and see before I pass judgement

Comment

Working...
                              X