Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Want to buy a crash helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to buy a crash helmet

US prepares for satellite impact

The US military is preparing for the possibility that a large spy satellite expected to fall to Earth in late February or early March could hit North America.

Air Force General Gene Renuart, the head of US Northern Command, said it was unlikely that the satellite would burn up on re-entry to Earth's atmosphere.

"We're aware that this satellite is out there," Gen Renuart said. "We're aware it is a fairly substantial size. And we know there is at least some percentage that it could land on ground as opposed to in the water."

The satellite was launched in 2006 but can no longer be controlled and was declared a total loss by the Pentagon in 2007.

Gen Renuart added that, "as it looks like it might re-enter into the North American area," that the Homeland Security Department and the Federal Emergency Management Agency would deal with the impact or, if necessary, help the Canadian or Mexican authorities.

Gen Renuart said: "I'm not aware that we have a security issue.

"It's really just a big thing falling on the ground that we want to make sure we're prepared for."

In the past 50 years of space exploration, 17,000 manmade objects have re-entered the Earth's atmosphere.

Scary stuff

Comment

Be my luck to have it hit me the back of head

Comment

spend loads of time dodging bloody golf balls at one local lake i fish so hopefully that sat will land on that bloody golf course
        everything louder than everything else:D

Comment

Bet you it lands here and is full of Martians wanting social security
          The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice we give to others

Comment

you never know

Comment

Working...
            X