Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Bumhooker the sequel, & how to avoid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumhooker the sequel, & how to avoid...

I was going to post on Spadgers thread with this, but I started a fresh one as BG has fairly said its for info only, so I dont want to divert from that.

One thing that struck me about the original thread, was how quickly the circumstances in which thingy got stiffed was sort of forgotten. I think 'thingy' was quite honest and upfront in telling the forum he had left himself wide open. But this is why he got shafted, bumhooker isnt a neccesarily a con artist, he's an opportunist : he saw an opening and took it. Why he bothered for what, £70 quids ( ? ) worth of gear, god knows.

Anyway, suggestions for buying and selling, any others?

Never send money as paypal gift. You lose all your protection rights from paypal. If the seller refuses to stand the paypal charges, split them, or as a buyer, pay them. Put 3% on the sale price and send as 'goods'

Always obtain proof of postage, and for more valuable items by first and second class, a 'signed for' is only about 40p. Other than that, standard parcels is dodgy ( low insurance, no signature ), use a courier service with tracking.

It's the internet. Assume everyone is automatically a crook until they prove otherwise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

[QUOTE=luke carpstalker;323218]
    Always obtain proof of postage, and for more valuable items by first and second class, a 'signed for' is only about 40p. Other than that, standard parcels is dodgy ( low insurance, no signature ), use a courier service with tracking.

Hi Luke, I agree with your sentiments, but I had an experiece with a parcel (which by the way was small enought to fit my letterbox) that had to be signed for, on arriving home I found it on the floor with the rest of my mail, thinking who signed for it? Fortuantly I know a manager that works at one of these depot's who said it was common practise for the delivery person to sign for them and put through letterbox if there is no answer at the door, so they don't have to carry around.

Comment

Personally, I've been done many times from the Internet. Ranging from £700 quid for reading festival tickets in 2007. Sold a greys barbel rod once. The bloke sent a postal cheque which never turned up and someone cashed, he sent again by recorded delivery. Still didn't turn up, someone else signed for it. Ended up sending the rod any way without gettin a penny. Was getting right hicked off with all the hassle.
      Brought some floats of flea bay, never turned up.

For me, think I'll stick to buying stuff from shops. Seems to much hassle half the time
      Last edited by Larry Teepot; 24 May 2012, 12:25 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=carpbagger;323220]
        Originally posted by luke carpstalker View Post
        Always obtain proof of postage, and for more valuable items by first and second class, a 'signed for' is only about 40p.
        Hi, I am a postmaster and just wanted to add to and clarify this statement above.

1st or 2nd class standard mail offers a basic insurance cover of up to £60. If you pay for 'Recorded Delivery' (orange label) then this still only covers you for the same value of £60. What it does do though is alleviates the receiver claiming they have never received the item as a signature must be given. This is ideal if you are sending to someone you do not know as it avoids the chancer who will claim not receipt knowing that paypal will always come down on their side.

The ideal way of sending any item is 'Special Delivery' (Silver Label) as any item sent via this route is not only guaranteed next day but is also signed in and out of every depot along its route so should it vanish (I have never known one lost yet in 12 years baring a robbery on a RM depot) in addition to the above, you get a basic insurance value of up to £500 with the option of increasing this up to £2500.

I appreciate that Special Delivery is a more expensive option to take with prices starting at £6 but I always state to the buyer this is the route I will send and the price they will have to pay to get anything that I am selling and they have the option to still purchase or not.

Hope this clarifies to those uncertain of the differences.

Cosmic

Comment

Originally posted by luke carpstalker View Post
          Assume everyone is automatically a crook until they prove otherwise.
          I get this all the time being a scouser.
          On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cosmic;323259]
            Originally posted by carpbagger View Post

Hi, I am a postmaster and just wanted to add to and clarify this statement above.

1st or 2nd class standard mail offers a basic insurance cover of up to £60. If you pay for 'Recorded Delivery' (orange label) then this still only covers you for the same value of £60. What it does do though is alleviates the receiver claiming they have never received the item as a signature must be given. This is ideal if you are sending to someone you do not know as it avoids the chancer who will claim not receipt knowing that paypal will always come down on their side.

The ideal way of sending any item is 'Special Delivery' (Silver Label) as any item sent via this route is not only guaranteed next day but is also signed in and out of every depot along its route so should it vanish (I have never known one lost yet in 12 years baring a robbery on a RM depot) in addition to the above, you get a basic insurance value of up to £500 with the option of increasing this up to £2500.

I appreciate that Special Delivery is a more expensive option to take with prices starting at £6 but I always state to the buyer this is the route I will send and the price they will have to pay to get anything that I am selling and they have the option to still purchase or not.

Hope this clarifies to those uncertain of the differences.

Cosmic
            Very informative.
            You say that standard delivery is covered up to £60.00,in the event of a parcel not being delivered can you tell me who"s responsibility is it to make a claim the sender or the non-recipient?
            Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Peter,

I had this recently with a Ps3 game that never arrived from an eBay sale. Although I had proof of postage, to save the buyer making a claim through eBay/PayPal I filed the claim to the Po. All very easy, when the Po cheque arrived I refunded the buyer.

Ebay states it is the sellers responsibility to ensure delivery. Whether this is just an eBay rule, or standard sale of goods act stuff, I don't know.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

[QUOTE=hurricane;323270]
                Originally posted by Cosmic View Post
                Very informative.
                You say that standard delivery is covered up to £60.00,in the event of a parcel not being delivered can you tell me who"s responsibility is it to make a claim the sender or the non-recipient?
                Hurricane, although either can technically make the claim for loss, in reality it falls to the person sending the item. One of the things the 'Royal Mail loss or damaged mail' form actually asks for is a proof of posting which in reality terms only the sender will have. Without this, you are stuffed as in the case of any of my customers that have had to make a claim the Royal Mail will just say you have no proof of posting end of claim.
                What I would say to everyone is that at any Post Office you can ask them to give you a 'Printed proof of postage' from their machine. This will stipulate the house name and the post code where the package was sent to along with date, time and a unique transaction number. Once you have this, keep it safe as it can them be used to back up your claim should some 'Bumhooker' try to screw you over.

Regards
                Cosmic

Comment

luke carpstalker i disagree with you bumhooker is a con man not an oppertunist .when i put it on thread it was found hed done others as well.thats not oppertunist .

Comment

Seems naming him would be a good thing all round. Bet this is not the only site he gas ripped people off on.
                    Paypal gift is for friends only

Comment

Working...
                    X