Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

van insurence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• van insurence

Thinking of buying myself a van,but have never owned 2 vehicles as there is only me that drives at my house,been shocked at insurance quotes as i was under the impression i could just team it up with my car ,but how wrong to think that was the thing to do,i have been told i have to set up a fresh insurance policy and start again as a fresh driver even though i have 15yrs no claims on my car.
    There must be loads of people on this site who have a van and a car how do you sort your insurance out.

The companys don't believe that you won't be using it for work purposes. I've had to sell my van because of this.

Comment

Thats the problem i am having dave ,ive told them its for pleasure use only but they just kept on saying its a commercial

Comment

You can get private van insurance but your no claims bonus can only go on one vehicle.
        Also a lot of insurers wont accept a car policy no claims bonus for van insurance.
        My van is insured with Adrian Flux but its about twice as much as it was to insure an estate car.

Comment

i went with admiral n if the car n van r in your name they actually let u have the no claims bonus on both vehicles but u have to insure both of them with them cost me a bit first yr cos i lost about 4/5months insurance cover with the car being insured with another company but it was the cheapest insurance on the van too think they call it duel vehicle insurance

Comment

cheers boys,sutty i rang admiral and they said they didnt insure vans !

Comment

Originally posted by carl heaton View Post
              cheers boys,sutty i rang admiral and they said they didnt insure vans !
              they did 4yrs ago i split em back up last yr when wife passed cos they wouldnt let me insure her on my car insurance so i got 4yrs no claims put on van n 12yrs on car

Comment

this probably isnt going to help as i live on the European continent however i have two vans both of which are in my name with one no claims and my wife is a named driver.....One of them is a registered commercial van on the papers and funnily enough that makes it cheaper to insure by about 30% and the tax is about 60% cheaper thats why i drive it!!!! Is there a point to me posting this well perhaps they aint being fair and acting according to european law....maybe worth asking about....

Comment

Rip off britian

Comment

I used swift when I bought an extra car and they split my policy so I had full no claims on both motors but I also have a van for work and the policy isn't the same because it's commercial use. If you pester the right company I'm sure they will give you some discount as good will going off your driving record. Don't know why it's different between commercial use and private because all my insurance is about the same price and all my motors are completely diferent from each other. I hate insurance companies it's just one big money making racket.

Comment

I have insured my van this year with Four counties--Cost me £180 for any driver over 25-- I have mine under a race transporter policy. Thats for pleasure only.
                      it might be worth giving them a call to see if they would help in your situation. they do recognise that not everyone who uses a van is not commercial.
                      Bike racing, match angling pensioner.

Comment

Working...
                      X