Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Changes....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes....

OK folks, I am the first to agree that it would have been better if the new implementations had been notified to the members in advance,but I struggle to understand why so many have taken it as a personal attack and had over the top reactions.
    The section is now self contained and does not appear on new posts or activity stream so you will only see it if you WANT to,it"s ebay items ending in the next hour and covers all types of fishing.
    The like option was unfortunately lost when solving one of the problems logged by members,this is being worked on and will be restored asap if possible,unfortunately it is unlikely that the history of likes will be able to be restored.
    Simon,Oneabung Young has made a few mistakes in dealing with complaints regarding products he sold but for the life of me I don't understand why do so many people object when he tries to recoup some of the running costs incurred to keep this forum going and even if he managed to achieve a profit(very unlikely)whats wrong with that it does not cost us a penny, I simply ignore any adverts as I do on so many sites.
    The ban on ebay links was because nothing was paid to the site and our members said they did not want auction type sales hence the price on items rule,for the time being at least those rules still apply,The adverts posted by Magic and the ones in the sidebar are helping to keep your forum free of charge.
    Let me finish with a personal request,if you have a problem with anything on the site, communicate it to mods/admin via pm,thers no promise that everything will be to your liking but we will do our best,by all means voice your opinions, constructive criticism is welcomed but lets stop all this knocking the site and the owner,if your realy that unhappy send a pm to admin asking for your account to be closed,and just go with dignity.
    We don't want anyone to leave the forum and we will do our best to solve any problems you encounter,just let us know instead of ranting or throwing the dummy.
    Hope this thows a little light on the current situation,Magic has agreed to make an effort to communicate any future changes in advance.
    Regards Peter.
    Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Well said Peter.

I personally viewed it as pressure sales which is a pain in the arris when trying to navigate the site. Simon does us all a favour in keeping this site running so let's hope we can put it behind us and get on with it now.
    On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

I don't want adds forced on me and its now resolved so lets move on guys.
      Simon has always said that talk angling is free and always will be,so if he can offset some or even all of the costs then that's got to be good,I"m afraid if it were me getting slated on a regular basis I doubt very much if I would be subsidising the forum.
      On a side note,I detest the adds and clips(common on fb) that open as soon as you pass the cursor over them,IF I WANT TO SEE IT I will cick on it.....followed be several swear words.

Comment

Just been informed that some security updates will take place today and work will be done trying toreintstate the like button,these are not envisaged to disrupt the site but if they should please be patient.
        Regards Peter.

Comment

I spent most of last night in Dialogue with Magic (Dave)
          as did Brian
          I Magics defence it seems as if he was totaly un aware of the workings of T/A
          As soon as i managed to explain to him why a lot of us were so Hostile & Point out that the E/Bay links were not only Completely Clogging up the Pages with relatively useless adverts,Also that there would be No T/A members left after a few days !!
          He Imediaetely went away & Rectified the Problem .
          I have spoken to him a few times since & he has asked me to convey to you all thanks for your Feedback !!
          He is a Very Knowledgable Guy & definately a Computer Whizz Kid .The Mods & Membership should have been made aware that things were to be Tried out ,bt as usual we were all kept in the Dark
          Hopefuly Dave will manage to sort the Security Problems today & the site will no longer be affected
          Dave even after my Comments to you on Here last night (i wrongly assumed you were Simon)
          Welcome to T/A mate Col
          Colin

Comment

Great... So your staying ?

Comment

Looks that way Ritch
              i would lose contact with so many people that i class as personal Freinds ,
              Even some i have Never met !!
              I also would not want to see this Forum in the Doldrums like so many have gone over the last year or so
              I am glad that things got sorted last night,
              hope the site continues for years to Come
              Any one that wants to leave me their numbers please do so & i will txt you mine
              Then if i can help any of you i can give you a ring
              As Hurricane said now we are aware the site is being up dated be patient
              If there is something that dont work or you have problems with then contact Magic (Dave) & if he can fix it he will !!
              Colin

Comment

Firstly apologies to everyone who had a bad experience. We are working to put the likes feature back in and I have just run the update script to improve security.

I'm not going to get into the finances of TA on here but at the end of the day I cannot do it for free, if everyone wanted to pay to use it then I'm sure we could have a much improved site and hosting solution. At the moment TA costs me money on a monthly basis and I am trying a few things to get to the point where the site doesn't cost me money each month - then we can go for better hosting (which I have already in the pipeline).

Magic (Dave) is a very good friend of mine and a programming genius - he is going to help develop the site going forwards.

I have always said that TA would be free for anyone to use and that remains the case. I am however toying with the idea (get ready for the nay sayers) of producing an advert free version of the site with the shoutbox enabled, extra membership privileges, car / box stickers included for £15 a year..... people with certain number of posts already on the forum (say 1000) would get this free anyway.

Apologies again for not notifying the changes were coming and I don't think Magic realised who busy the site is.... all sorted now - anyone who has issues please contact me or any of the mods / admins.

I would also like to know any improvements members want to see as we are moving this thing forward in a big way now.
                Simon Young
                Admin
                Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

this is were I would have clicked LIKE :-)
                  <?]]]}}>{ <?]]]}}>{ <?]]]}}>{

Comment

Likes are back but appear as a thanks icon with a thumbs up logo,they work in a very similar fashion to the old system.
                    Regards Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by Oneabung View Post
                      Firstly apologies to everyone who had a bad experience. We are working to put the likes feature back in and I have just run the update script to improve security.

I'm not going to get into the finances of TA on here but at the end of the day I cannot do it for free, if everyone wanted to pay to use it then I'm sure we could have a much improved site and hosting solution. At the moment TA costs me money on a monthly basis and I am trying a few things to get to the point where the site doesn't cost me money each month - then we can go for better hosting (which I have already in the pipeline).

Magic (Dave) is a very good friend of mine and a programming genius - he is going to help develop the site going forwards.

I have always said that TA would be free for anyone to use and that remains the case. I am however toying with the idea (get ready for the nay sayers) of producing an advert free version of the site with the shoutbox enabled, extra membership privileges, car / box stickers included for £15 a year..... people with certain number of posts already on the forum (say 1000) would get this free anyway.

Apologies again for not notifying the changes were coming and I don't think Magic realised who busy the site is.... all sorted now - anyone who has issues please contact me or any of the mods / admins.

I would also like to know any improvements members want to see as we are moving this thing forward in a big way now.
                      Well you would get my £15 if this comes to fruition..glad to see issues being resolved,well done all...
                      OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Comment

yeah the LIKE is actually patented by Facebook ( can you believe that ) so it has to say thanks, or facebook men in black will come knocking at the door :-(
                        wonder if its possible to get a no-thanks, or dis-like / thumbs down :-)

Comment

Don't bring that in mate - there will be a war!
                          Simon Young
                          Admin
                          Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                          web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Originally posted by Oneabung View Post
                            Don't bring that in mate - there will be a war!
                            I think some peeps like the drama HAHA :-)

Comment

I am on here everyday (don't post as much as I should) I wouldn't have a problem with paying 15 quid. Spend more than that a month on magazines.

Comment

Working...
                              X