Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Hello from Manchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Manchester

Hello all

I'm a total novice with fishing. I love the outdoors, hiking, camping and so forth. Fishing is one of those things that I always wanted to try but just never got around to it. I decided it was time to remedy that, got myself a couple of starter rods, one with a spinning reel and one with a fly reel and then... corona hit. So I'm waiting on a time I can start my fishing but fingers crossed we will come through it sooner rather than later.

Hopefully if I have any questions some of you will be patient and kind enough to share some wisdom with me.

Cheers
    Sam

Welcome to the site, sure your questions will be answered, what style of fishing are you planning on doing, we can perhaps point you in the right direction. Not that we have too many fly fisherman on the site.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Brian G View Post
      Welcome to the site, sure your questions will be answered, what style of fishing are you planning on doing, we can perhaps point you in the right direction. Not that we have too many fly fisherman on the site.
      Thanks for the welcome Brian. I'm not sure what style really, I'll have a go at fly and spinning reel fishing and see which one suits best I suppose. Think I'll start with the spinning reel/rod and try to catch some coarse fish.. carp maybe?

Comment

Carp are not really a target fish for a spinning rod and reel set up, that would be better used for perch and pike, mind you I suggest that you really should not tackle pike, without some supervision, whilst appearing to be a tough fish they are quite delicate. Fly fishing is not usually practiced by coarse anglers, again it needs a bit of tuition to become a bit proficient. Carp fishing is more attuned to bait fishing, in its many styles, be it float, or ledgering, Almost all baits will catch carp,

Comment

Speak for yourself Bri,I started fluff flinging back in the days of proper close seasons.
          Welcome on board Samo.
          Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

There were still places to wet a line, during the closed season, mainly on the guise of catching trout, so never tried fluff flinging.

Comment

Carp are not really a target fish for a spinning rod and reel set up, that would be better used for perch and pike, mind you I suggest that you really should not tackle pike, without some supervision, whilst appearing to be a tough fish they are quite delicate. Fly fishing is not usually practiced by coarse anglers, again it needs a bit of tuition to become a bit proficient. Carp fishing is more attuned to bait fishing, in its many styles, be it float, or ledgering, Almost all baits will catch carp,
              Ok I'll look into picking up the fundamentals of bait fishing. I'll probably see if I can get a few hours with a well versed angler to show me the basics. That might be the best way to start.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post

Speak for yourself Bri,I started fluff flinging back in the days of proper close seasons.
                Welcome on board Samo.
                Thank you Mr Hurricane

Comment

Welcome Samo. Youtube has loads of fishing videos, Take a look at a few by the 'Credencis' lads and 'Winning ways' for tasters of a few things that are on offer. Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                  X