Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Hook in the Loop method !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hook in the Loop method !!

I'm sure this thread has appeared befor,I'm a newbee on this site,any body had any luck with this method, if so,under what sort of conditions and is it limited to certain depths or can it be used at all depths..am I looking for the slightest movement of the float and should the float be set so as I only see the smallest dimple !!

many thanks renarc

Hi Renarc

I've just become interested in this technique. Thought there might have been more responses before now but they're a bit slow up norf!!!
    As far as I know the main thing is the loop and the weight at the knot.
    From what I've read you don't have to use 2 number 8's, you can up these to even BB size. Most people seem to dot the float down as you suggest but there was one report on AT web site where somebody used a polyball float and watched for rings to indicate a bite. This was fishing UP in the water!!!
    The AT site has a lot of posts by Giles who developed the technique.
    I've tried it a couple of times and not had a lot of luck yet but this is probably me and not the technique. You do get lifts as well as the float burying. Certianly Giles swares by it. He says its great for F1's as they have a delicate bite. You can also use it on the waggler and the feeder. I shall give it some more effort as I think it may be well worth it in the end.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Fred..like yourself I think I shall persevere and hope the results back up Giles techniques ...I'll try and check out the AT site as well ...thanks for you time

Comment

as any one come up with any diagrams of this method yet
        In darkness we do what we can
        In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Its preety straight forward Larry....select your eyed hook,thread it on to the line,tie an overhand loop so that the hook lies in the inside,make the loop as big or as little as you wish (usually 2-3 inches)and then remember to fit two num eights directly above the loops knot...!! see how you go on, I'm going to give it a try this weekend cheers.

Comment

Larry
            Have a look at the AT web site as Giles has done a good series on this. He says you have to fish it dead depth but others have tried other depths. He wins a lot useing this method but I've only just started to see how it works. I've only tried it in these difficult weather conditions so have struggled. I'll certainly give it a better session as its worth trying anything new.

Comment

thanks fred
              In darkness we do what we can
              In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

so what the benefit of the loop, why not just 2 shots 2inch from the hook?
                Matt Smith
                Bag'em matchbaits

Comment

The loop allows the hook to move more freely, whilst I have not tried it yet it is in my opinion an adaptation of the d rig used by the carpers where by the boiley is free to move and provide less resistance to a fish.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

i can understand the therory, but does anyone honestly believe the hook will move along the line, because i think there will be too much friction, if i does actually move then no wonder it is so good for f1s beacause they actually feed almost vertically,
                    Matt Smith
                    Bag'em matchbaits

Comment

I asked the question about using small hooks (size 20's etc). Not got a response.

Comment

Bigpellet is it not a question of balance between the size of the hook and the lines size, if you came down too small in hook size that eye becomes to small to suit the line, ok reduce line size but then the line may not be rigid enough for the hook to be free running. The only way to find out is to experiment I suppose but Giles Cochrane recons theres no need to go below a 16. to me it is only a variation of the D rig used by the bivvy boys.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Matt..have alook in this week's AT, Steve Ringer will agree with you about the shot above the hook, together with the main load above them - assuming the eye is not to small and runs freely on the loop,then the "friction " you mentioned does not affect the bite...

Comment

I m not knocking this idea but if it is intended for shy biting fish surely the loop which in effect is two pieces of line side by side will be more visable than one, and possibly counteract any benefits of a free running hook

just a thought
                            [CENTER][URL="http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/blog.php?b=31&goto=next"]Life at the bottom A noobs guide (My Blog, Paul Law)[/URL][/CENTER]
                            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                            [CENTER][B][U]Carlsburg Disgorgers[/U][/B][/CENTER]
                            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                            [CENTER]Carlsburg don't make disgorgers but if the did they would be the best Disgorgers in the World.[/CENTER]
                            [CENTER] [/CENTER]
                            [CENTER] [/CENTER]

Comment

The main reason it is good for f1 is cause of the articulation you get with what is in essence a loop on a loop,when it gets sucked the initial movement allowed by the articulation creates momentum which mean's the hook bait requires less effort to suck in.I've been using eyed hooks all winter on a tiny loop 4-5mm,but mainly with just a standard bulk, no shot by hook.I recon i've lost less fish with it,but can't decide if my catches have improved,but it don't do any harm that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X