Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

help, braid or mono???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help, braid or mono???

Hello everybody, I, would like to know whats the best braid for roach and bream fishing here in Ireland, I have always used mono but everybody is hammering me with braid, any brands and strenghts would be appreaciated, as well as any info on knots to attach braid to mono , thanks in advance.I posted a quesion about joker suppliers but go no response so I guess therea are none who export to Ireland .

The Maggotdrowner's Forum - Bloodworm and joker
    Read this but take it from its hard work

By an Irish lad

Comment

thanks ridgeacre, I will worry abou the joker at a later date, any advice on the braid, I have been using mono and getting whipped by the braid, my next match is on Muckno and I wan o buy some braid but dont know which brand or strength, primarily after roach and skimmers, smallish feeders 40-50 grms

Comment

Glenn give Mark Lichtenburg a call in the Cloughbally Mill angling center in Enniskillen, his number is 02866 322008 he will definately be able to put you right. The braid I have is Jan Van Schendel stuff but its ages old (thats how you want it - the new stuff off the spool needs a few outings before its dead right)
        Simon Young
        Admin
        Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
        web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

thanks regarding mark, he was a star, going to sort me out wih everything, once again hanks for all

Comment

thanks simon, I spoke to mark and he is going to sor me out wih everything

Comment

Glad to be of service Glenn thats what we are here for! Just see if you can get a few of your friends posting on here too as we need more members from your area!
              Simon Young
              Admin

Comment

I will do that simon, we have a match on lough Muckno this weekend and I will tell all the boys, if you need any info about the fishing here let me know, we have acres of prime water never fished due to the troubles but now excellent.Not a c arp in sight and bags in summer to 150lb of roach and hybrids and bream.Lakes that hold rudd o 3lb that have never been fished and all free......thanks again

Comment

When you buy the braid don't but thick stuff. For what your talking about 6 - 8lb bs would be OK which is about 0.06 diameter. This will aid casting the distances your going to. Also be careful when you strike as without any stretch you'll snap the hooklength. Use the lightest rod you can get away with as it will be more forgiving.

Comment

Glen I personally use about 6M of mono on the end of my braid - this means that once the fish is at the landing net your playing the fish on mono which is far more forgiving than the braid like Fred says. Other people use a small piece of black elastic on the hooklength which also gives a cushoning effect but if you are not fishing very light you wont need this.

Do you fish any of the festivals Glenn?
                    Simon Young
                    Admin

Comment

hi again simon, just returned from Chile and geting back into the matchfishing, I used o fish all the festivals and will be fishing a few this year,hopefully Arva, and Belturbet and Muckno.
                      In the process of organizing a big match on two virgen lakes with huge potential.If you need any info on where is fishing and whats being caught, just ask.
                      The ulster open is a good match with good money and prizes, on the canal at Newry.
                      Biggest problem all over is the ethnics killing everything, fished a match not so long ago where 10 kilos won and 4 was last, two weeks later 1kilo 9 won and 6 blanks!!!!! feel free to ask, regards glenn

Comment

Working...
                      X